Replace keypad on ADT Vista 20p system

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi
I have an older ADT installed alarm system.
Its really the Honeywell Vista 20p panel, and I think a 6150 keypad, actually two of them.

So, I want to add at least one wireless sensor to my system, and I think the easiest way to do it is to replace the 6150 keypad with a 6160rf keypad.

From what I've read, the 6160rf will let me add in wireless sensors, and a keyfob if I want. Also, the 6160 is supposed to be much easier to program.

Watched a video this morning, and it looks fairly easy to do.

Anyone ever do this? Any words of warning?

Randy

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought the 6160rf keypad, and also a 5816 wireless sensor.
Over the weekend, I replaced an old 6150 keypad with this new keypad.
Had to disconnect battery, and then unplug the alarm to install, but it was pretty easy otherwise. There are lots of youtube videos out there that walk you through it, and I made notes of what to press, to use while sitting in front of the keypad.

With a 6160, I was able to name all of my zones, using their canned list of words and a limit of three words per zone. It's nice to see kitchen window instead of just a zone number.

I also added a new zone for the wireless sensor. Added the sensor with help from youtube, and it works fine.

I may also add get a rf keyfob to be able to easily arm/disarm the system.

You do need the Installer Code (not the master code that arms/disarms the alarm).
But you can get the code by disconnecting the battery and unplugging the alarm, and then doing the reverse to power back up. Again there are youtube videos and lots of posts that describe how to get the installer code, if it's not the default one.

Randy