Replace Laview DVR with Hikvision NVR, no cameras SADP

Agyota425

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of switching over from 2 Laview DVRs to a Hikvision NVR.

Unfortunately, when I unplugged the cameras from one of the DVRs and connected to my switch so that I could edit configs with sadp, I do not see any of the cameras in sadp.

The cameras address on the DVRs was 192.168.253.x

I edited my network config to

but I don't see any of the cameras. What am I missing?

Thank you!

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like the cameras you cannot see are within the virtual IP address range of the NVR.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you not login to the NVR and carry out the adjustments you need, rather than hikvision discovery (SAPD) tool?

Agyota425

n3wb
Reaction score
I can log into the NVR but the NVR does not find any cameras, nothing shows up in the add section. Also when I plug a camera and just my laptop into a 8 port switch so that I can edit in SADP, the cameras do not show up.

Agyota425

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of the cameras are a LaView style that does not have a reset button to the best of my knowledge. I have some AvertX cameras as well that do have a reset button but holding the reset for 15 seconds did not get them to show up in sadp.

I am so confused how nothing can even show up!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's simple, they are on a different subnet that SADP is not looking at. Without a reset button you're stuck with trying to figure out what their IP range is. Can you plug in the old NVR and have a look at the configs for the cameras that way to get the right IP range?

Agyota425

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought I had the info correct.

Old DVR settings attached in screenshot. Internal NIC is set to 192.168.253.254

I am probably missing something but on my laptop I have network configs changed to

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's pretty strange. Like I said, can you get them back onto the old NVR? Alternately, do you have any of the original documentation for the cameras that might show what their "out of the box" IP is?

Agyota425

n3wb
Reaction score
Ugh, is there anyway to figure that out on the DVR? I am not sure what it was set to originally?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You're stuck with having to scan IP ranges to find them. Without the original docs and no reset method you seem to be stuck. I'm also wondering if the cameras are proprietary and will only work with that NVR.

Agyota425

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a recommendation on how to do this? Clearly, I have gotten the IPs screwed up because when I plug it back into the original DVR and reenter the password, I get an IP Camera Exception warning.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Download a scanning tool and start scanning various subnets. Keep track of what you scan to avoid duplicate scans. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when I unplugged the cameras from one of the DVRs and connected to my switch so that I could edit configs with sadp, I do not see any of the cameras in sadp.
SADP will find Hikvision devices on the same wiring as the PC, independent of what subnet the devices IP address are using.

Dumb question :
Is it a PoE switch?
How are you powering the cameras?
What are the camera models?
Are they known to be Hikvision OEM models?

v-milenin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use something like Wireshark to scan the network. Better will be to connect camera to PC directly and analize. So you should see outgoing packets from the camera and so you can find out it's IP.
But the cam should be powered by the external power source.