Replace Lorex LNE8950 with?

JonM

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Lorex LNE8950 4K Nocturnal IP Audio Dome Security Camera that just went toes up. This is currently paired with a late 2017 Lorex 8 channel NVR LN908-N (LNR608).

It seems like I've lost two of the LNE8950 cameras due to nearby lightning. I bright flash seems to cause it to stop working. Each camera lasted about 1 year. Nothing else was damaged. Do home users usually unplug cameras during storms?

Anyway I know need to replace it and I was hoping Andy may be able to help. Does Dahua make a better camera? I am looking for a 4K Nocturnal IP Dome with POE and 113° field of view, or less. Fixed focal is fine. I don't need PTZ. The current camera sits under an overhang and is about 8.5 feet above the driveway.

This one looks like my old one: Dahau N84CG52 (but with a different mounting) but seems expensive for an older model.

Suggestions for a good replacement?
Thank you! Jon

Reaction score
I am looking for a 4K Nocturnal IP Dome with POE
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI.

No, folks do not unplug cams during storms.

I imagine by using the term 'nocturnal' you mean cams that give good color performance at night? If so, the Dahua 5442 series of cams is the current go to cam for this purpose. But it is a 4MP cam. They come in turret, bullet, and dome formfactors. They can have fixed lenses in 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm but also come in varifocal versions. Unless you are willing to pay upwards of $1k for a cam, you will not get good color night performance from a 4K cam.

The cam you linked is not a dome. It is a turret, sometimes referred to as an eyeball cam. It has 8MP on a 1/2.5" sensor, which is not going to give you good low light color performance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - info

Looks like a Dahua IPC-HDW48xx 1/2.5" 2.8mm turret style camera..

1600355805375.png

1600355852324.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Lorex LNE8950 4K Nocturnal IP Audio Dome Security Camera that just went toes up. This is currently paired with a late 2017 Lorex 8 channel NVR LN908-N (LNR608).

It seems like I've lost two of the LNE8950 cameras due to nearby lightning. I bright flash seems to cause it to stop working. Each camera lasted about 1 year. Nothing else was damaged. Do home users usually unplug cameras during storms?

Anyway I know need to replace it and I was hoping Andy may be able to help. Does Dahua make a better camera? I am looking for a 4K Nocturnal IP Dome with POE and 113° field of view, or less. Fixed focal is fine. I don't need PTZ. The current camera sits under an overhang and is about 8.5 feet above the driveway.

This one looks like my old one: Dahau N84CG52 (but with a different mounting) but seems expensive for an older model.

Suggestions for a good replacement?
Thank you! Jon
Hi @JonM

Yes, that Dahua USA N84CG52 models looks similar

Andy also carries a Dahua OEM model which appears similar

LaView's Saturn line is also Dahua OEM ( LVS-DHPTK3682W-28 ), as are Amcrest and Montavue branded cameras. There probably are more also.

Note, checked Nelly's garage sale and they may have a Dahua OEM eyeball which might fit that Lorex Dahua OEM mount... 4MP 1/2.8" sensor.. $70.. you'd have to ask them if it is a Dahua OEM eyeball..
NSC-2X4-DM 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm

I would do one more test with the camera and see if you can power it up via the DC line and not the RJ45 PoE line... sometimes a PoE related electronic component goes on the cameras and you can still use the RJ45 for data, and power up with the DC barrel. ( slim chance on this, but can save you some money if it works .. )

imho It is probably a good opportunity to consider getting a newer camera model with a 1/1.8" sensor.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JonM

n3wb
Reaction score
I would do one more test with the camera and see if you can power it up via the DC line and not the RJ45 PoE line... sometimes a PoE related electronic component goes on the cameras and you can still use the RJ45 for data, and power up with the DC barrel. ( slim chance on this, but can save you some money if it works .. )
Holy sh*# it worked! How cool is that! Genius award goes to you!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I may buy another camera just incase of another nearby lighting flash.

One question I forgot to ask above - Will a non-Lorex camera work with a Lorex LN908-N (LNR608) NVR?