Replace my extra storage hard drive procedure

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My current setup uses and internal SSD C: drive and an internal spinning disk. I have purchased a 4TB WD Purple drive that will replace my existing internal spinning disk and will become the new location where BI clips and alert images will be stored. I will leave the DB on the SSD, but everything else will go to the new WD Purple.

1) How do I migrate the BI files from the current spinning disk to the new WD Purple once I have it installed. Since I'm removing the spinning disk to install the WD Purple, I'm assuming that I'll need to copy those files somewhere, so they can be copied to the new WD Purple? Should I use the same drive letter and name?

2) In order to keep the clips and alert images in sync, would it be best to manage them by number of days rather than size? The reason I ask is because right now, I have way more alert images than I do actual BVR files. Seems like using the same number of days for each would make sense.

3) Any other migration tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you can simply just copy (drag and drop) the storage directory(s) from the old drive right to the new drive which will keep the directory tree and hierarchy intact. You will want to pause all BI recordings when you do this so you don’t have .bvr files open for writing. Once it’s all copied over you can point BI storage to the new drive and then rebuild the db. Then unpause the cams and it should be up on the new drive.

It is possible when you shut down the PC to remove the old drive that windows may change drive letters on you at next boot. It’s not a big deal. Just give BI the new drive letter and rebuild the DB again.

I have my alert size set for 1GB which I think is the default.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you can simply just copy (drag and drop) the storage directory(s) from the old drive right to the new drive which will keep the directory tree and hierarchy intact. You will want to pause all BI recordings when you do this so you don’t have .bvr files open for writing. Once it’s all copied over you can point BI storage to the new drive and then rebuild the db. Then unpause the cams and it should be up on the new drive.

It is possible when you shut down the PC to remove the old drive that windows may change drive letters on you at next boot. It’s not a big deal. Just give BI the new drive letter and rebuild the DB again.

I have my alert size set for 1GB which I think is the default.
Thanks for the reply. Since I don't have room to have the new and old drive in the PC at the same time, will it work to copy the files to my NAS from the current drive and then copy them back to the new drive?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Since I don't have room to have the new and old drive in the PC at the same time, will it work to copy the files to my NAS from the current drive and then copy them back to the new drive?
Yeah you can do that. May take a while though. You don’t have a free SATA port on the motherboard?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah you can do that. May take a while though. You don’t have a free SATA port on the motherboard?
I'll have to check and see. Maybe I could use the cable for the CD/DVD drive that I never use.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll have to check and see. Maybe I could use the cable for the CD/DVD drive that I never use.
Yup. Do this. Unplug it and use it for transfer. Or install the second drive on that SATA cable if you never use the optical drive and leave it in so you have even more storage.