Replacement Camera Coverage - Feedback Appreciated

bullngator

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day all.

I wanted to pick everyone’s brain on exterior camera coverage. I am replacing existing cameras that were damaged and will be tweak camera locations/coverage due to pool/landscape changes. Cameras will be connected to a 24 port POE+ switch and a dedicated PC with an I7-4790K processor, 8GB ram, 8TB HD, and likely HikVision IVMS to start with.

Looking @ HIKVISION DS-2CD2132-I 3.0MP POE 2.8mm for most cameras

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
those are good choices...consider that depending on how you mount the domes you may get ir reflection...which will cloud the image... You may also want to consider the 3332 turret camera.
as you suggested 9 will need the 2532 because its a wall mount location and requires a 3 axis dome.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
overhangs look nice and flat, as long as your looking downwards and not trying to look out too far I dont think it will get too much reflection, mostly all 90 degree FOV's so distance is not his objective, the'll all have to be angled down pretty hard with that wide perspective to get a good view up and under the cameras... its the angled overhangs that screw with people because they want to tuck them up to hide them.

might tighten some of those FOV up a lil, 7 looks like it should have more narrow FOV to try to get a nice good face shot through that hedge chokepoint.. you can still get the side of the house and that hedge opening into a single shot, the rest of the yard has nothing of importance and everyone should pass through ur choke to get into that side yard right?

bullngator

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Would you favor 4mm lense on cameras 03, 05, 07? That would put me at a slightly wider FOV as the photos I am attaching. The middle section of my patio will be covered by cam 04 under my lanai. Thoughts?

cctv layout 2.png

Optimized-03.jpg

Optimized-05.jpg

Optimized-07.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
might put a 6mm on that gate on the hedges, it will make people on that road/sidewalk a lil more detailed and put you at a great shot of the approach to that side of the house.. the landscaping there looks like it works really at directing people where you want em, a 4mm at those 3 and 5 would also be better I think as you can see there is still no blind spot and you'll get a bit more detail at distance.

any natural choke points like that gate, your pool, etc you want the cameras to be in such a location any 2 or 4 legged wildlife get up close and personal with wide angles, they work great next to entryways and indoors but outdoors with distance this is different, if placed right in chokes you can use wide angles outside for good awareness without loosing the ability to identify targets... since your gate camera wont be up close and personal, but back looking forwards you'll appreciate a lil zoom, especially at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
here's a shot of my camera in same location, its a 3.6mm.. its going to be replaced with a more narrow FOV because I cannot ID traffic on my side of the sidewalk, let alone the other-side having no detail at all... this is a very cheap cam tho, the cheapest I got.

either way tho that person's head is only a few dozen pixels at this distance.

Attachments