[REQ] New System Recommendation

sirkako

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello -

I'm pretty sure this has been asked a bunch of times, but honestly I've spent hours reading a ton of information and still cannot make out what the right choice is... PLEASE bare with me.

Even-though I have somewhat previous CCTV experience, these new technologies are a sea of information. I come from the RG-6 Siamese days, so I've learned a lot just reading these forums. Thanks to all the great contributors!

To get right to it, I just bought a new property and I'm looking to set up a new security system from scratch. I'm comfortable with techie stuff and capable of managing cable runs, equipment install and configuration; just need to know what to get. Here's a simple rundown of my needs:

IN GENERAL
- If anything below doesn't make sense, please correct my line of thinking
- I've narrowed down my choice to Dahua products, and would like to keep it brand consistent to take advantage of the advanced features
- Need to be able to access the system remotely, live and recorded, from a browser and iPad/iPhone apps
- Would like a "comfortable UI" where possible
- Definitely want PoE
- I want an NVR, don't really care to build a custom PC
- My budget is flexible, but I do want to get the best bang for the buck
- I live in Canada, so I have to be able to ship stuff here (which I don't anticipate being a problem)

EQUIPMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
(Which would be the latest version for solid equipment choices)

► 1 x NVR with 16ch / PoE / 4K / Audio
I found the DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2, is this still the best choice?

► 2 x PTZ Outdoor "Smart" Cameras Night Vision / Optical Zoom
I've used domes before, not sure if the're still the best choice

► 4 x Outdoor 4K Bullet (or Turrets?) Cameras Varifocal / IR / Night Vision

► 6 x Indoor(or Outdoor) 4K Turret Camera Varifocal / IR / Night Vision / Audio

- Would I be ok running CAT-6 cable? Any special spec I should look for?
- All cameras PoE, of course
- Outdoor cameras need to handle -20C
- I've read great things on the Starlight line, not sure which ones are the current best choices

► Lastly, where would I find the best source for purchasing all of this that ships to Canada?

That's it! Sorry if I went into too much specifics... Just really looking for a good recommendation on product models!

Thank you in advance to any who kindly submits an opinion. It's greatly appreciated!

Rick.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the cliff notes in the Wiki for answers to a good deal of your questions. It can be found in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sirkako

n3wb
Reaction score
Read the cliff notes in the Wiki for answers to a good deal of your questions. It can be found in the blue bar at the top of the page.
Thank you for this! Good read and more learning...

You know, I realizing that building the system I want would probable cost ~$4,000... might as well follow the Costco advice on that wiki link and save a bundle. I realize I'd be sacrificing a lot of functionality, but this would be an unmanned system... only would go back to recording IF "something happens" lol, heard that before, no?

The most crucial part would be making sure to run the wires correctly for good placement, IMO.

Thanks again.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @sirkako - the cliff notes will help you bit further, as you are running into "the IPC minefield" like many of happened to do when they started.

From my own personal experience, I can state the following:
- Dahua NVR 5216-16P: I got the same, runs like a train, expandable (with 2hdd) and good POE. Maybe hook up a UPS to cover ground when power is down (some burglars like to pull that card)
- NVR GUI (vga/HDMI) looks like OLD SKOOL DOS screens, webgui is OKish, but when you work on PC: SmartPSS is much better. For mobile devices: i/gDMSS plus (for RT view, playback and notifications) is the way forward
- POE: make sure you test your cams first connected to a 3m cable on the NVR. Even with "the best of the best" non-CCA cables, it can happen that your cam remains dead on the NVR. It seemed that one of my installed cams got a "hard reset" and was waiting on the HTTP WebGUI for password reset information, NVR couldn't initialise so I thought my cables were bad. Lost half a day running up and down the ladder. So try locally before going up the ladder.
- Cables: like in the previous point: install GOOD cabling. Cheap stuff will give you headaches. Period.
- Positioning the cams: for outside IPC, I'd advice: Google Maps Camera Calculator Released --> but you opted for varifocal lenses which is a bit more expensive yet gives you still all the possibilities for focus.

Last but not least, drop a note to @EMPIRETECANDY he can give you a better quality system than these prefab "discount" boxes with less features/cabilities. Oh, final tip: ask for slow-tax-gentle shipping. Andy is an expert in that ;-)
Good luck!
CC

sirkako

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments and experience. I didn't know about the google calculator. What an amazing tool. I wish I'd have had this 20 yrs ago! I used to carry a portable monitor with a varifocal Panasonic Cam.

I'm still evaluating my options. My biggest concern is: would I really be using all these features in the equipment? I'm not sure... I have a tendency to overkill my DIY projects, only to find out afterwards I'm completely sub-utilizing what I bought. And not because of lack of knowledge, mostly I end up not needing all the additional functionality. In this case, I'd probably set it up and forget about it until I need it; so it might make sense to just get a decent quality cameras with a NVR on a 1 week loop.

Cheers!