requesting entry location advice

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
YALRRT - yet another location review request thread =)

Mods - apologies. I am reposting this as a new thread. It was originally posted in an another thread, also started by me. I will be careful, going forward. I have deleted it where it was previously posted.

Hey Guys,
requesting your advice for location at entry way.

I recently bought the IPC-HFW1831C-PIR 4k Mini Bullet for my entry door cam solution. After trying various locations just can't find the right fit as entry way.

I've taken a picture of my front entrance, let me know what you think.

To start with, I placed it above the door. Due to the side walls, the forward view is severely constricted.
I also tested on the facia board in front of the door, great pic of anyone coming towards the door however once they passed the eaves, they are out of the cam view.

I can certainly re-purpose IPC-HFW1831C-PIR and open to getting another cam. Perhaps, the IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 (two cams in one package) could be a better fit. one cam will point to the area as someone is approaching the door, the other cam directly pointed to the door. I put a small red mark, thinking it might a good spot but hoping for feedback from you guys. Installing on the right side wall as you approach the door is not an option. My entry door swings open inwards, I am planning to get a storm door that will swing open outwards. You'll see a white plate. It is to cover the electrical for a porch light that I had moved above the door on the ceiling.

thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate your help.

howabouthere.jpg

frontdoor.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @xmfan

My preferred location for a front door camera ( see picture )

This one:
IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12
or the single lens version is what I prefer for such a spot.

Note - cabling front door locations can be a challenge.. so may need to consider placing it on the wall next to the front door.

Attachments

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mat200 - thank you for your feedback and suggestion.

The location you recommend....will be tough that is a thick piece of wood around the door. I am realizing I am working with a challenging location.

In trying to get creative, until now, I was only looking at Dahuas so how about the HIKvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW.
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 4MP IR Cube Network Camera-Hikvision

It looks small enough. I might be able to install it next to the door wood and the wall corner. If I can figure out a way to get network cable out there, would this HIK DS-2CD2442FWD-IW be a good option to consider ?

thanks again for your feedback, it is appreciated

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 - thank you for your feedback and suggestion.

The location you recommend....will be tough that is a thick piece of wood around the door. I am realizing I am working with a challenging location.

In trying to get creative, until now, I was only looking at Dahuas so how about the HIKvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW.
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 4MP IR Cube Network Camera-Hikvision

It looks small enough. I might be able to install it next to the door wood and the wall corner. If I can figure out a way to get network cable out there, would this HIK DS-2CD2442FWD-IW be a good option to consider ?

thanks again for your feedback, it is appreciated
Hi @xmfan

The Hik cubes are well liked for indoor applications.

If you plan to keep the home for awhile, imho completely worth while to run 2-3 cat5e cables to the front door area.

Yes, a lot does depend on your home's construction.

The front door area is typically the biggest PITA to deal with.

With some thought and work it is possible to DIY and make the setup look good.
( also consider mounting the camera in the corner on the wall adjacent to the front door, maybe easier to do that if you can make a small cut in the drywall for drilling and pulling the cables )

note - you can cut the drywall from stud to stud if you can ID the studs - yes, a little PITA but typically not too hard to clean up and make it look nice. Better if you can do this from an attached garage - as less of an WAF issue.

Reaction score
Question, would it be be possible for you to remove the brick moulding (wood around door) or the inside door mouldings without damage? Frequently there is a little bit of a gap between the door casement and the rough framing (where the door shims are) it may be stuffed with insulation, or expanding foam, both easily dealt with. I have been able to use a flex bit to go up into the attic, or down to the basement through that path. Down is usually easier due to the door header above, but it is possible to do.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question, would it be be possible for you to remove the brick moulding (wood around door) or the inside door mouldings without damage? Frequently there is a little bit of a gap between the door casement and the rough framing (where the door shims are) it may be stuffed with insulation, or expanding foam, both easily dealt with. I have been able to use a flex bit to go up into the attic, or down to the basement through that path. Down is usually easier due to the door header above, but it is possible to do.
@Brunosplace - thanks for your input. I will do a very close inspection of that aread and see if there are any gaps. There is no brick moulding, just the door, the wooden frame around it then the stucco. I will do a close inspection and see if I can find a gap and use a flex line to get a cable through to the attic. The available space between the wood edge and the stucco edge would be ideal. I think if I can get a cable there without any major obstacles that may require cutting, etc., I think I will overcome the uphill part of this battle.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @xmfan

The Hik cubes are well liked for indoor applications.

If you plan to keep the home for awhile, imho completely worth while to run 2-3 cat5e cables to the front door area.

Yes, a lot does depend on your home's construction.

The front door area is typically the biggest PITA to deal with.

With some thought and work it is possible to DIY and make the setup look good.
( also consider mounting the camera in the corner on the wall adjacent to the front door, maybe easier to do that if you can make a small cut in the drywall for drilling and pulling the cables )

note - you can cut the drywall from stud to stud if you can ID the studs - yes, a little PITA but typically not too hard to clean up and make it look nice. Better if you can do this from an attached garage - as less of an WAF issue.

Hi @mat200 - as always, thanks for your input. It is definitely a challenging location. Will do some very careful inspection and see what are my options to get a cable routed there. I am hopful that though the HIKvision cam is for indoors, it could be an ideal place for it due to its size and rectangular shape. Only if I can 'wedge' it between the edge of the wood and corner of stucco wall

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200 - as always, thanks for your input. It is definitely a challenging location. Will do some very careful inspection and see what are my options to get a cable routed there. I am hopful that though the HIKvision cam is for indoors, it could be an ideal place for it due to its size and rectangular shape. Only if I can 'wedge' it between the edge of the wood and corner of stucco wall
If you have attic space above the door you can access, then you should be able to drill down from there into the wall cavity to either of the walls next to the front door.

You may need a flex drill bit.

Of course a lot depends on the insulation, if normal fiberglass you should be able to snake a cable down / up.

Reaction score
You won't see what I am talking about unless you remove the interior door trim, or the board to the left of your exterior door. See the gaps between the door frame and the drywall in pic below, where the shims are. That gap is hidden by your trimwork. If the door was properly installed there will be insulation in the gap, but you can easily get through it. You can drill straight out to the trim board on the outside to run wire to mount the camera on the face of the outside trim, after you have determined if you can go up or down from in there.

Last edited: