Requesting some help for a noob on NVR

Reaction score
Hello all,

First of all, thank you for being such a helpful community. For how far technology has come, it feels like there is not a lot of help for people setting up their own ip camera system. Here is where I'm at

I am trying to set up my first ip camera system. I bought two amcrest cameras-
1 IP3M-954EW
And 1 IP2M-844EB

I wanted one very high quality camera for the front to try and catch license plates and people as they come up to my house, and I was willing to step down a bit for a side of the house camera. I am also interested in adding a few more cameras, including an interior camera as I get this thing going.

So my question is about nvr. How important is it to get an amcrest nvr? How tied into amcrest am I for future cameras, including adding a cheaper interior camera. I don't mind staying with one company, but I just have no idea how interconnectable these will be.

Lastly, I really don't want to get an nvr that cannot handle the quality coming from my 3mp camera, and that is expandable for at least 2-3 more cameras in the future. Most nvr I'm seeing say they suppport 1080p, which makes me think they wouldn't be recoding the full resolution of the 3pm camera. Is this true? I was looking at buying this nvr but I'm worried it wouldn't be able to support the quality I'd want:

Amcrest 1080p (8CH 1080p/3MP/4MP/5MP) Network Video Recorder

I would appreciate any help you can offer! I am completely in the dark and I have very little idea what is good software or how all this stuff works. Thank you so much for your time!

Also- I bought a Poe router, but none of the cameras turned on. Are there different types of Poe? How do you make sure it's compatible? I had bought the ubuquiti edgerouter x but after turning on Poe the cameras wouldn't connect. Sorry for all the questions I'm just getting in over my head as I try to launch into this project!

Thanks again!!!