Reset button on DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 ??

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the reset button is on the DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 camera? I am sorry if it has already been posted, but I did a search and could not find relevant info.

I assume the reset button inside the camera, but how to I get inside? I unscrewed 4 tiny screws, but it still won;t open up. Is it the camera body glued together:

Jamil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no reset buttons on them cameras. Have you forgot your password?

Was the camera bought from the EU or is it a grey import?

Regards

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no reset buttons on them cameras. Have you forgot your password?

Was the camera bought from the EU or is it a grey import?

Regards

I bought it on Amazon warehouse (used). Looks like it has been activated but I don't have the password. It's is OEM international version.

cliffmmoja

n3wb
Reaction score
i am an installer in Kenya i do buy hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-i5 models but i got 1 which came activated and since there is no reset button i have been communicating with hikvision support for Africa but all the reset codes and reset xml file they give seems not to work. they indicate fail to reset password despite following all instructions. now i seem confused as the only option is to return the camera to the local dealer in Kenya unless there is another option for this kind of camera that i can be assisted. thanks

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i am an installer in Kenya i do buy hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-i5 models but i got 1 which came activated and since there is no reset button i have been communicating with hikvision support for Africa but all the reset codes and reset xml file they give seems not to work. they indicate fail to reset password despite following all instructions. now i seem confused as the only option is to return the camera to the local dealer in Kenya unless there is another option for this kind of camera that i can be assisted. thanks

I was able to flash my firmware. That let me make a new password so I can use the camera.

cliffmmoja

n3wb
Reaction score
lazona i forgot to thank you for the help. the software worked after a few retries with the right update. thanks so much

billy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same camera but how did you flash firmware with no reset button. And no password

billy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the software and used it before but the 2cd2t42 camera has no reset button inside
Did you jumper a pin or something.
I know you set computer ip to 192.0.0.128
Tftp has digital firmware for cam in folder
Disconnect power from cam and hold reset whilst powering up for 20 sec.

But there's no reset on the circuit boards

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On impulse I just bought one of these - actually a DS-2CD2T42WD-I8 - off eBay as 'spares and repairs' as the user did not know the password.
His SADP screenshot showed the firmware version as 5.3.6 - so vulnerable to the Hikvision backdoor exploit.
So I'd offered to explain to him how to easily reset the password - but he just wanted to sell the camera, so I got it pretty cheap.

I could have simply used @bp2008 updated password reset tool Hikvision camera admin password reset tool
But I thought I'd do something more interesting and did this :

Pull a copy of the configuration file though the backdoor.
http://192.168.1.18/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

Then this to decrypt it :
openssl enc -d -in configurationFile -out decryptedoutput -aes-128-ecb -K 279977f62f6cfd2d91cd75b889ce0c9a -nosalt -md md5

The end result still needs to be passed through a 4-byte XOR encode 0x738B5544
The XORViewThru of wxHexEditor works OK for that, allowing the save of the resultant file.

And the contents were inspected to show that the admin password=12345678a
Which worked OK.

But here's the funny thing -
Out of curiosity I looked inside to see how it was built.
And it was immediately clear that the main board hadn't been built specifically for the DS-2CD2T42WD-I8 internals.
In fact, it looked like the board out of a DS-2CD2332 turret.
And I've had one of those lying around for ages after I'd done a full erase of the flash and carelessly rebooted before re-writing.
And the fascinating thing is that the main board, and the sensor board, are a perfect fit into the DS-2CD2332 body!
I need to re-focus the lens as the plate the IR cut / sensor board fits on is a slightly different thickness, and the connector for the EXIR LEDs and light sensor is 6 pins instead of 4, but that's easily fixed.

So now I have a DS-2CD2T42WD in turret form!
And I can sell the DS-2CD2T42WD body as an IR illuminator, or a dummy CCTV camera ...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same camera but how did you flash firmware with no reset button. And no password
Neither are required to flash firmware using the tftp updater tool.
What firmware version is on the camera? SADP will show you.
If earlier than 5.4.5 it should be able to be reset with the updated reset tool - see above.
But if you are going to use the tftp method - make sure the camera is an 'upgradeable' model, not a China region one or you will brick it.

billy

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you flash firmware without pressing a reset button. The camera powers up but cannot be picked up on network. It shows a strange ip but can't connect to it. So tftp seemed only option. Could you show your method with tftp.
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you flash firmware without pressing a reset button.
On power up, the camera temporarily sets it's IP address to 192.0.0.64 and sends out a probe on the network to look for the Hikvision tftp updater tool to see if it's running.
The PC running it must have an IP address of 192.0.0.128 and allow access in through the Windows firewall.
The tftp updater responds to the probe and a handshake occurs, following which the digicap.dav file is transferred to the camera.
The camera powers up but cannot be picked up on network. It shows a strange ip but can't connect to it.
What does SADP show? What's the IP address? Post a screenshot.
If the IP address does not match your network - you won't be able to connect to it.
Maybe you just need to change the IP address to fix the problem.
If you know the password - use SADP to do that.
Or - change the PC IP address to be in the same range and try connecting with the browser.

billy

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera does not show up on sadp. Ip is like 192.254.172.35

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Camera does not show up on sadp. Ip is like 192.254.172.35
How do you know what the IP address is?

If you change the PC IP address to, say, 192.254.172.30 -
Ping 192.254.172.35 do you get a reply?
And what do you get if you point the browser at that IP address?

Have you enabled 'port forwarding' in your router, to allow external access?
If so, it's quite common that these cameras get hacked.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Another question occurs to me : how is the camera connected - eg on the LAN with a switch or router, or on a POE port on an NVR?

billy

n3wb
Reaction score
that ip was from looking at the status on the lan connection on the pc. the camera is just connected by network cable and 12v supplied. it also has a subnet of 255.255.0.0