Residential Access Control - alternatives to smart locks

RyanMM

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting replacement doors for my house, and it occurred to me that this might be a good time to add wiring for a doorbell as we don't currently have one. As I look at all these smart lock systems that are kind of on the unattractive side versus plain old door handles and locks, a lightbulb went off - why not wire up door access while replacing the doors? I could get a Unifi Access system for cheaper than a smart lock + separate and unconnected video doorbell, and have the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately I've only supported, not installed, door access systems, so I'm not really acquainted with picking out the hardware for them, and a lot of these electronic strikes seem to specify "for commercial doors" and stuff.

Can anyone recommend an electronic strike system that would definitely work for residential doors? Am I not thinking this one through and it's a dumb idea?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting replacement doors for my house, and it occurred to me that this might be a good time to add wiring for a doorbell as we don't currently have one. As I look at all these smart lock systems that are kind of on the unattractive side versus plain old door handles and locks, a lightbulb went off - why not wire up door access while replacing the doors? I could get a Unifi Access system for cheaper than a smart lock + separate and unconnected video doorbell, and have the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately I've only supported, not installed, door access systems, so I'm not really acquainted with picking out the hardware for them, and a lot of these electronic strikes seem to specify "for commercial doors" and stuff.

Can anyone recommend an electronic strike system that would definitely work for residential doors? Am I not thinking this one through and it's a dumb idea?
I have installed many access control systems. I generally use products made by Kantec which have been very reliable. I have installed 4 Unifi systems, and have removed all of them and replaced them with Kantec. The unifi have been nothing but a headache! very unreliable! Unifi makes great network equipment but the took the short bus with there access systems.maybe they will figure it out before long. I have spoke with many tech's in the field and they are staying far away from Unifi access.
If you just want to add a door strike you can get a good strike for about $100 and a keypad on amazon to activate the strike,I wouldnt use it on a bank vault but it would be great for residential. I have one on my front door. I think I paid about $60 for the keypad and it has been working great. I tried fobs but the kids kept loosing them.
you could also use a PGM output on a security system and use your phone or keyfob to activate the strike

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
@Robert hocevar, can you provide more info on the good v. bad of access control systems? Seems like the access control (AC) sector is experiencing a similar scenario to what is witnessed in the camera sector. Seems to be a LOT more manufacturers that have added an AC system to their product line. I have no doubt that many of them are similar to what ring and nest is to cameras.

RyanMM

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed many access control systems. I generally use products made by Kantec which have been very reliable. I have installed 4 Unifi systems, and have removed all of them and replaced them with Kantec. The unifi have been nothing but a headache! very unreliable! Unifi makes great network equipment but the took the short bus with there access systems.maybe they will figure it out before long. I have spoke with many tech's in the field and they are staying far away from Unifi access.
If you just want to add a door strike you can get a good strike for about $100 and a keypad on amazon to activate the strike,I wouldnt use it on a bank vault but it would be great for residential. I have one on my front door. I think I paid about $60 for the keypad and it has been working great. I tried fobs but the kids kept loosing them.
you could also use a PGM output on a security system and use your phone or keyfob to activate the strike
Thanks. That's a bummer to hear about the Unifi, their Pro access doorbell checks so many boxes for me. Can you remember what kind of issues you ran into with the Unifi system?

As far as strikes go, is there anything I need to look at in the item specs to ensure I'm getting something that will work with residential doors? Any specific recommendations on the door controller, network interface adapter, and power supply?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of the issues were with the Unifi hub. I opened one that failed and the solid joints looked really bad. almost all the joints were loose. I then opened another from a different lot and that looked the same. and overall the equipment has a very cheap feel to it. I really think Unifi makes a lot of very solid equipment but they dropped the ball with the access equipment. I have a feeling they will get it together eventually. if they do I would try them out again.
as far as strikes go. I use HES strikes. they are pretty much bullet proof. and make sure you have a power supply with battery backup . If your not comfortable hacking into your door jam to get the strike in. you can have a locksmith do it for about a $100. look into Kantec controllers. they are rock solid and have a support team that will answer the phone and they even speak English!

RyanMM

n3wb
Reaction score
If your not comfortable hacking into your door jam to get the strike in. you can have a locksmith do it for about a $100. look into Kantec controllers. they are rock solid and have a support team that will answer the phone and they even speak English!
This is kinda the reason I was thinking now is the best time - since I'm installing a prehung door, I'll have access to the rough opening, so running wires up from the basement and into the frame will be trivial prior to door install.

I'll look into those Kantec controllers - I have previously supported Uhoppte controllers and found them simple enough to program and configure over the network.

Can you recommend a wholesaler for the Kantec stuff?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is kinda the reason I was thinking now is the best time - since I'm installing a prehung door, I'll have access to the rough opening, so running wires up from the basement and into the frame will be trivial prior to door install.

I'll look into those Kantec controllers - I have previously supported Uhoppte controllers and found them simple enough to program and configure over the network.
I'll see if I can dig up a model number for a single do system and let you know