Resolution Products and Helix alarm system

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wondering does anyone have experience with these? I found info mostly regarding about their Translator but not too much in using their system...the features seem really good (but I'm a noob when it comes to alarms)

Resolution Products

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering does anyone have experience with these? I found info mostly regarding about their Translator but not too much in using their system...the features seem really good (but I'm a noob when it comes to alarms)

Resolution Products
I've never seen one. I'm not overly impressed with the panel to be honest. They do have a few other products that are a little different and interesting like the translator.
Lets start over

What do want in an alarm system?
What do you want in an automation system (if any)?
How do you want to monitor it?
How big is / what style is your dwelling?
How many doors/windows/motion sensors do you want to cover?
What's your budget?
Is it something you plan on installing yourself or are you just gathering info before you bring in an alarm company?

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Tangent, just looking for an DIY wireless, accurate self-monitor system that has an app to arm/disarm it, makes a loud noise when someone breaks in and able to send me accurate notifications on the phone so i can call the cops.

2 major entrance doors (each already with a camera pointed at it) and 6 first story windows.

My cameras can send me notification just fine but alot of false motion events and all the notification was getting to be a hassle.

Thank you for your time, i guess my main concern was if Helix had any really good advantage over other more well known systems, but seems like not much people have heard of them judging from the lack of results on google.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It looks like Helix wants to be everything, HA and alarm.
Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather have a dedicated alarm system (and I do), and a separate system for HA.

I would guess with Helix you have to pay for those bells and whistles, so if you just want an alarm system there are other options.

I have a Honeywell panel, it was "free" when we signed up with our alarm service way back when.

Randy

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@randytsuch I agree most alarm companies attempts at integrating automation are pretty limited or are limited to remote control not automation.

@Fruit most alarm systems aren't designed for self monitoring or installation and from what I've seen it looks like only authorized dealers can install the helix and monthly monitoring is required to do anything with it. Your self monitoring options depend on your communications path. If you've got POTS or VOIP phone service the GE/Interlogix Simon XT/XTi/XTi5 can call you with voice prompts. If you've got internet you can connect an Eyez-On Envisalink EVL-4 to a DSC or Honeywell panel. Elk's panels and HAI/Leviton's Omni panels can be monitored over the internet for free (i think) but I'm not sure if port forwarding is required their equipment is pricey. If the only comm path is cellular self monitoring is more difficult, the simon may still work, i forget.

You could also get a home automation device and some zwave sensors.

You can get real cellular alarm monitoring for as little as $15/mo and POTS monitoring for around $9/mo.

Last edited:

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Tangent! I'll research those options a bit further.

I forgot to mention i had ADT did out house from like 20 years ago and we still have their keypad...i wonder If i can just reuse their wires and sensors...everything needs new battery though by now. Lots to learn about alarms.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I forgot to mention i had ADT did out house from like 20 years ago and we still have their keypad...i wonder If i can just reuse their wires and sensors...everything needs new battery though by now. Lots to learn about alarms.
That makes a difference, you should be able to reuse what they did. Door and window sensors are really simple, they are just a switch that opens or closes when a magnet is close to it. So the switch is installed in one part of the window, magnet on the other part, and when you open the window either the switch or magnet moves, and the switch changes state, and alarm goes off.

As long as all the switches and magnets are still there, with wiring, they will work. And you can replace any that fell off or got lost over the years.

In the long run, wired sensors are preferred, you don't have to worry about changing batteries and such.

Is the panel still working? Do you know what kind it is? My ADT panel is pretty old, and still works fine. And one of these days I'm going to get a Eyez-On Envisalink EVL-4 to connect to it so I can remotely monitor and control it. My ADT system is a really a Honeywell panel. You can get the part number if you look inside.

BTW, batteries are pretty easy to change, they just use 12V SLA batteries that are readily available.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should be able to reuse a lot of that and that certainly changes the recommendations. You may want to replace the circuit board and keypads.

Post a photo of the panel with the door open and your keypads with the door down then it will be easier to offer more specific advice. If there's anything like your phone number or an account number written on the door you can redact that but most of the info probably doesn't matter.

Wired sensors are better than wireless but things can go wrong in the course of 20 years. Make a list of your zones and sensor types and anything you wish was covered. In this case I'd recommend a honeywell or dsc panel + EVL4 or an Elk / HAI panel if you want to spend a bit. You can make these systems hybrid wired/wireless pretty easily to add keyfobs and extra sensors. I WOULD NOT recommend the Simon for you knowing you have wired zones.

Reaction score

Is the system still active? Locate the beige metal cabinet, inside there you should be able to figure out the make/model of the unit. Post back with the findings.

Do you know whats on the system? Such as window/door sensors, glassbreaks, motion detectors, smoke detectors, CO detector etc.

In my opinion, the Honeywell vista 20p with the 6160 keypad and Envisalink 4 would be your best replacement, however, we need to know what you already have first.

EDIT: Didn't see tangent's post before I posted my reply.

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! The only thing I found is a Keypad/Metal box thing, motion sensor, one door sensor on the back door but not on the front door, and another thing with batteries in it (maybe the siren?). I suspect the system still works as an audio alarm. (without the live monitoring) .
(keypad)upload_2017-1-28_1-9-49.png upload_2017-1-28_1-10-30.png

upload_2017-1-28_1-11-3.png (backdoor sensor)
upload_2017-1-28_1-11-49.png (Motion sensor, and not sure what the square thing is in the middle)
upload_2017-1-28_1-12-28.png (not really sure what this is too its above the motion sensor in the same area)

This usermanual looks like its for the same keypad.
https://www.adt.com/content/dam/adt/downloads/manuals/manual_safewatch_plus.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! The only thing I found is a Keypad/Metal box thing, motion sensor, one door sensor on the back door but not on the front door, and another thing with batteries in it (maybe the siren?). I suspect the system still works as an audio alarm.
Man last time I saw one of those I was about 10 years old (ADT/Brinks model of old Moose system). Wiring / sensors may be viable there's nothing you can do with that alarm.
In your pictures the senor in the middle may be an acoustic glass break but it's not a model I remember. Whoever installed that was pretty lazy. Bottom box is the siren.

Somewhere you've got a metal cabinet with the control board where all the wiring comes together. It might be in a closet or something. A photo of that would still be useful.
Why are some zones circled in sharpie? Is nothing connected to zone 1 and 4? You're going to have to carefully evaluate the state of each zone's wiring and sensor(s).

For a bit of perspective, about how many square feet is your house, how many level does it have, and when was it built?