restoring a feature of the old web interface.

jsauce

n3wb
Reaction score
So I had setup some cameras for an elderly lady who enjoyed watching the wildlife around her home. She would feed them and such, but as she has gotten older she can no longer go outside and watch them, so the cameras have been a lifeline for her to keep up the hobby.

So I setup originally four cameras (added a fifth) and they record on a machine, and I use the webserver to stream it to a tablet which she can then bring up and look at the cameras and such.

It used to be in the UI tabs across the top that included Live View, Clips and Alerts. I updated the whole thing and now Alerts is no longer a tab, but instead there is a Timeline.

She is 95 years old and having to explain to her that to get to alerts you now have to click "Filter by" options and choose alerts is a little much, when all she had to do before was click the Alerts tab. I have used the HTML <!-- --> comment tags to remove the Timeline tab as to not confuse her, but I would really love to restore the alerts tab back on the top with clips and live view.

I had saved an older copy of the UI that I modified in the past but I tried to use it and it doesn't work with the new versions, it just won't load.

I am hoping there is someone that can help me so this wonderful elderly lady can get back to watching the wildlife without too much trouble. I don't understand the changes that were made as they don't seem to make things easier.

Please someone with expertise on this help me fix this for her.

Thanks in Advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please someone with expertise on this help me fix this for her.
@bp2008 ,
I'm using UI3 version 153, Blue Iris version: 5.4.7.11 and my UI3 provides the tabs "Live View" and "Clips" and no timeline.
If @jsauce was to rename his ui3.htm files to say, ui3_b4.htm and then put a copy of my ui3.htm into his Blue Iris "www" folder would it work OK for him?

If so, what UI3 version provides also the "Alerts" tab?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a reason that, if something is working for an elderly person, leave it alone, don't go changing things just because, you will most likely cause them and yourself heartburn.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;) IE, don't update things just because. Resist the urge!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't want to replace pieces of UI3, like just the ui3.htm file, because that will just break things.

Here is a u3-local-overrides script that would replace the timeline tab with an Alerts tab, but this is kind of silly because there's already a lightning bolt icon in the top bar that does exactly the same thing as this Alerts tab:

Code:
$(function ()
{
    $('#topbar_tab_timeline').replaceWith($('<div class="topbar_tab" name="alerts" id="topbar_tab_alerts" onclick="clipLoader.LoadView(\'alerts\')"><span class="topbar_tab_label">Alerts</span></div>'));
});
Note this does not restore the original behavior of the Clips tab. Since the Alerts tab disappeared, there are a lot more clip list views than just Clips or Alerts. So it does not make proper sense to do this.

Older UI3 releases do tend to work with newer Blue Iris (the same cannot be said for newer UI3 with older Blue Iris). To put UI3-153 into a Blue Iris install, you can download it from here Release UI3-153 · bp2008/ui3

You can also extract any version of UI3 into a subfolder and load it from there if you like without replacing the original files.