Review- 5MP IR Fixed focal Dome Lite Network Camera

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-E3541F-AS-M 5MP Starlight Lite
5MP IR Fixed focal Dome. I have the 2.8mm lens version, 3.6mm also available.

This is an OEM Dahua camera, labeled as Loryta, EmpireTechs brand.

Review unit courtesy of Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: link
Andy's AliExpress store: link
Andy's Amazon store: link
Andy's Email: kingsecurity2014 (at) 163 (dot) com

Price Approximately US $120-$130.00 shipped.
Purchase from Amazon here: Link
Andy's Aliexpress store here: Link
(prices and links valid 3/28/21)

PLEASE TRY TO KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC

5MP, 1/2.7” CMOS image sensor, low illuminance, high image definition
Outputs max. 5MP (2592 × 1944)@20 fps
H.265 codec, high compression rate, low bit rate
Built-in IR LED, max. IR distance: 50 m
ROI, SMART H.264+/H.265+, flexible coding, applicable to various bandwidth and storage environments
Rotation mode, WDR, 3D DNR, HLC, BLC, digital watermarking, applicable to various monitoring scenes
Intelligent detection: Intrusion, tripwire
Abnormality detection: Motion detection, video tampering, scene changing, audio detection, no SD card, SD card full, SD card error, network disconnection, IP conflict, illegal access, voltage detection
Supports max. 256 G Micro SD card, built-in Mic
12V DC/POE power support
IP67, IK10 protection
SMD
Camera
Image Sensor1/2.7”5Megapixel progressive CMOS
Effective Pixels2592 (H) ×1944 (V)
ROM128 MB
RAM512 MB
Scanning SystemProgressive
Electronic Shutter SpeedAuto/Manual 1/3 s–1/100000 s
Min. Illumination0.005 Lux@F1.6
IR Distance50 m (164.0 ft)
IR On/Off ControlAuto/Manual
IR LEDs Number8 (IR LEDs)
Pan/Tilt/Rotation RangeHorizontal: -30° to 30°; vertical: 0° to 80°;
rotation: 0° to 360°
Lens
Lens TypeFixed focal
Mount TypeM12
Focal Length2.8 mm; 3.6 mm
Max. ApertureF1.6
Field of View2.8 mm: Horizontal: 98°; vertical: 72°; diagonal: 130°
3.6 mm: Horizontal: 80°; vertical: 59° ; diagonal: 106°
Iris TypeFixed aperture
Close Focus Distance2.8 mm: 0.9 m (3.0 ft)
3.6 mm: 1.6 m (5.3 ft)
Professional, Intelligent
Perimeter ProtectionTripwire; intrusion (Recognition of human and vehicle)
Intelligent SearchWork together with Smart NVR to perform refine intelligent search.
Spec sheet here: Link

Manual here: Link

PXL_20210305_234111896.jpg PXL_20210305_234239073.jpg PXL_20210305_234246957.jpg PXL_20210305_234303134.jpg PXL_20210305_234316574.jpg

I struggled with the IR bleed on the dome of this camera, as you will see in the video's. I was never able to solve it.
You can also see that sunlight cause's oddities on the dome in the daytime.
The dome also seemed to not agree with the 2.8mm lens, you can see some distortion on the sides of the frame, that was from the dome.
Also of note, the audio was not nearly as good on this camera as it is on many others I've tested. Out of character for Dahua.
Yes, the noise filter was turned off.

Edit: 4/30/21
The above was caused by a mistake I made in mounting the cam for testing, disregard, it is not accurate.

The camera works fine. Audio is good, for 1\2.7" sensor, it does respectable job after dark.
AI features work as they should, SMD works as it should.

I have replaced the original videos I had posted with new.
Night settings, First video is with the exposure settings at default, IE auto.

This second video is with the exposure set to 1/60, 54 brightness, 56 contrast, 35% noise reduction, Gain 52.

Daytime

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The second video is "private".

Not very good night performance plus artifacts from the dome, but it is a wedge camera so maybe at a door it would work out well.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Distortion on this type of camera is usually caused by the lens not sitting in the camera properly. Have come across this numerous times. Removing the glue and reseating the lens may help you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgotten, I had to play with the IFrame to stop that. I noticed it, and changed it. Had to go to 4x frame rate to cure.
Did the night-time video have the original iFrame setting? (looks like an earlier date)

And a couple of follow-on questions if I may :
What codec is selected, h.265 or h.264 or a Dahua variant?
And what bitrate, and is it CBR or VBR?
Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did the night-time video have the original iFrame setting? (looks like an earlier date)

And a couple of follow-on questions if I may :
What codec is selected, h.265 or h.264 or a Dahua variant?
And what bitrate, and is it CBR or VBR?
Thanks.
Yes, weather and life kept getting in the way, so there was about 3 weeks between daytime and night videos.
CBR, H265, 4096

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, you can disregard the complaints I had about this camera. It now has much newer firmware installed, and at first glance it's a big jump in improvement.

I state this with egg on my face, the complaints about the dome reflections and the sound quaility I had were wrong as well.
You know how I and many others state user error for camera problems? Well, it was this user's error. I discovered when I went to take the camera down a couple of days ago, I had not seated the cover properly onto the cam. The back edge of the cover (nearest the microphone) was about a 1/4" shy of seating properly. That caused the IR reflections do to the rubber seal around the lens not correctly contacting the dome. Also, the shell did not seal against the rubber ring around the microphone, thus the odd sounding audio. DOH! :banghead:

Hey, it was cold and blustery the day I mounted it, I was in a hurry. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I will redo the video's now that the firmware and the knucklehead with the screw driver have been straightened out.

@EMPIRETECANDY

Last edited:

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couldn’t tell from @looney2ns pics but is the top cover and dome plastic or just the dome? Looking forward to the updated vid.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the expectation of this 5mp v the 2mp wedge when placed at 5’ for front door use? Andy has said low light = 2mp and good light 5mp. My front porch has a dusk to dawn motion sensor light. Is that “good light”?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good light is relative. Some lights disperse better than others, and some are more localized.

If the 5MP and 2MP are on the same sensor size, I would go with the 2MP. These sensors are so small and need all they light they can at night.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5mp has 1/2.7” and the 2mp has 1/2.8”