Review - Dahua/EmpireTech Full-Color 5MP IR & White Light IP Smart PT "Active Deterrence" Camera - SD2A500-GN-A-PV

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Courtesy of @EMPIRETECANDY we have the Full-Color 5MP IR and White Light IP Smart PT PoE Camera 4.0mm Lens ,Support Two-Way Audio,Human Detection,Sound and Light Alarm SD2A500-GN-A-PV to check out.

1655696003649.png

It can be purchased here: Amazon or AliExpress

Camera
Image Sensor1/2.8" CMOS
Pixel5MP
Max. Resolution2560 (H) × 1920 (V)
ROM128 MB
RAM128 MB
Electronic Shutter Speed1/3 s–1/100,000 s
Scanning SystemProgressive
Min. IlluminationColor: 0.005 lux@F1.6
B/W: 0.0005 lux@F1.6
0 lux (illuminator on)
Illumination Distance30 m (98.42 ft) (IR)
30 m (98.42 ft) (white light)
Illuminator On/Off ControlManual; auto; off
Illuminator Number1 (IR light)
2 (white light)
Here are the Full Specs.

As you have noticed, based on it being a 5MP on the 1/2.8" sensor, this isn't a high end unit, but can certainly fill a niche need.

In my testing, it appears to be better than some of the other 5MP on the 1/2.8" sensor camera I have, so technology has probably improved some, but you still wouldn't want to use this outside for mission critical locations at night.

Although it is rated for outdoors, I wouldn't use it for anything outdoors other than an overview camera where you can slow the shutter speed to be able to see what is going on. Further it only has one IR, so it would need supplemental if you were wanting to use it for mission critical purposes. But it would be a nice overview camera to be able to move around to see blind spots of other cameras.

This camera would be a great camera indoors in a hallway, foyer, mud room, garage, basement, baby nursery, etc. The MP/sensor ratio isn't as much of a deal breaker inside due to reflectivity of walls for the IR or warm LED lights. Outdoors you would need a lot of supplemental light.

It is a fun little PT camera. And very light and mostly plastic. A unique small adaptor to connect to a wall or ceiling that probably could be broke easily if someone pulled on the camera. Not much bigger than another indoor favorite PT camera the Amcrest IP2M-841 but this one has a lot more features. Like that camera, it does not have a zoom, but has some cool features for a lower end camera:
  • Has infrared and white light capabilities.
  • The white light can be configured to come on during a trigger event or you can leave it on all night or not come on at all. Can make for a nightlight with motion.
  • Has two-way talk capabilities.
  • Can be configured to play an audible alarm (can add custom sounds). It is louder than my other cameras with this feature except for the 4K/X - the 4K/X is louder.
  • Has human AI built in and in my testing, it could be used indoors and not trigger with a pet.
  • It is not labeled as Active Deterrence, but it essentially operates like an Active Deterrence camera with the ability to pan and tilt.
  • This camera can be mounted on the ceiling, wall, or placed on a table, so it has a lot of flexibility in location.

I will get some sample pics and videos out later, but Andy has had reports that this camera is not compatible with Blue Iris, so I wanted to get this out now for anyone that may purchase it and have trouble with Blue Iris.

It took a couple of times trying to add the camera by putting in the IP Address, username and password and hitting find/inspect to get an image. But when it did, all you got was the video feed and not the Pan and Tilt capabilities, nor the audio.

After some playing around with different settings, this is what you need to use to gain full functionality of the camera in Blue Iris (Select Amcrest and then the Model that starts with AD110):

1655696022466.png

The substream isn't pulled in, so you need to copy the mainstream and change subtype=0 to subtype=1

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

And then for the PTZ controls, select Amcrest ASH21

1655696034392.png

As most of us know, Amcrest is a Dahua OEM, so I suspect that since Amcrest has a similar model that is wifi, maybe Dahua wanted to put out a POE version, and that is why it is the Amcrest make that works in BI.

As I mentioned, I think this is a camera ideally suited for a foyer, hallway, mudroom, garage, nursery, etc. or for anyone looking to keep an eye on a pet while away. The two-way talk feature and alarm feature are an added bonus for those that would want to set it up to alarm when activated.

EDITED to add photos:

As I mentioned and as we know, 5MP on a 1/2.8" sensor will struggle at night unless you have a ton of light.

Inside, it does surprisingly well despite only having 1 infrared light.

Here is a little sample in a room. The wall is 16 feet away from the camera. Shutter is at 1/60 with gain at 50.

And a freeze frame:

And a comparison outside to the 5442, which is a 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor.

Even with a floodlight, there simply wasn't enough light to make the 5MP on the 1/2.8" sensor go into color:

Deer5MP.jpg

And the 5442 camera (different deer LOL) that the camera was able to go to color based on the larger sensor:

Deer5442.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The more I play with it, the more I like it for the extra functions. The alarms, two way audio, etc. make for an additional "security" measure within the home. Obviously shouldn't take the place of a security system, but placed in a location where maybe the house security siren isn't as loud like a basement could be a good addition.

I also edited the first post to add a few pics and video.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
It has 2 mode IR and White light model, so test it with white light to check how is the color pic going.

1656386457002.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am still playing with that one. It was very noisy/grainy at the same settings as the infrared test. I think the infrared simply has better range than the white LED. For watching a kid or a pet I think it would be fine though with the white LED.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
A few observations thus far after doing a cursory check on the functionality of this cam.

1. Audio appears to be better than the 841.
2. When mounted on a flat horizonal surface such as a tabletop the pan function isn't as smooth as it could be. Probably because the cam in meant to have the speed dome hanging down from the fixed mount. Maybe the weight of the speed dome pushing on the fixed mount disrupts perfectly smooth operation.
3. When mounted on a flat horizonal surface you basically have it upside-down and because of this the tilt function cannot point "down" because it's meant to tilt the other direction. I have it sitting in a window sill around 5 feet off the ground. The closet point the cam can see the floor of the room is 11 feet away. Take that into consideration if you want to put it on a table top and look down immediately at the floor.
4. It would appear that the DahuaSunriseSunset utility does not work for this camera. :(
5. I think this cam will work out great for my Dad who needs a cam watching my Mom (who has dementia/stroke) when he runs an errand.
6. It can be repurposed to watch the front door foyer area if he decides he doesn't need it for MomCam.
7. The siren and flashing lights get your attention with reasonable volume and brightness.

1661545799953.png

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wondering if the "human detection" in this camera is under the Smart Motion Detection menu or the IVS menu, like in the 5442 series?

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had this camera for a while now with BlueIris, generally working fine, configured with the same great instructions described in the first post.

However, when I look at the BlueIris log information in the status window, I see this camera generating tens of thousands of "Events: subscription 00000190". In the camera itself, I do NOT have the general motion or audio events enabled. I only have one IVS intrusion box which fires roughly 2x per day. This is how I have all my other cameras setup, and they never show this behavior, so I'm inclined to think there is something specific/different about this camera. Can anyone think of what is generating tens of thousands of these events? Perhaps all motion events are being sent to BlueIris even though I haven't explicitly turned on the camera's motion detection?
BI-log-events-subscription.png
Just as shown in the first post, I have checked the "Get ONVIF trigger Events", so I'm assuming it's related to that, but perhaps not. Oh, I just realized my ONVIF source is the default "VideoSource0000" rather than the "VideoSource_1" shown in post #1. Hmmm. Maybe I need to change to that, but if my video source is wrong, wouldn't that mean I'd get no events rather than so many? Does anyone know what the "00000190" means?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you solved your own question LOL.

What I did was first did the find/inspect and then manually changed make/model to what I have in Post 1.

If I restart BI I will get that error for like 100 or so (unlike yours that keeps going up) and then it stops.

But then trigger the camera and make sure that it does trigger in BI.

I have noticed this was a change at somepoint when it went from being ONVIF to External in BI.

These things are "warnings" that don't have any relevance as long as the camera and BI are talking and it does what you want. Annoying, but I have learned to ignore them. Or wait a few minutes after I restart BI and clear the log and then they are gone.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unfortunately changing only the ONVIF source did not change the behavior. I did re-inspect (which of course changes the camera make back to generic onvif) and then reset the camera make, model, & stream profiles. The events are still coming.

Now that I've stared at the log screen for enough time, it appears that I'm getting one event every three seconds, causing me to this this is a result of some polling interval, or if there is some other clock event. It seems too consistent to be based on motion or anything like that. I thought that perhaps the RTSP KeepAlive might be a contributor, since that might be a polling-based action, but I disabled that and the events keep coming about every 3 seconds.

I did explicitly disable (uncheck) the "Get ONVIF Trigger Events" which stops the continuous stream of events. Re-enabling the trigger events setting causes the "one per every three seconds" events to continue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under Network > Access Platform, try turning onvif authenticator off in camera and see if that stops it.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah (implying thank you!), I like your thinking that I may have something configured differently on my camera, but I don't have that setting on this camera (see images below). I can only enable p2p. Do you have that option in this camera model, in which case we might have different firmware? My version info is in a 2nd screenshot below.

I'll look for some other setting on the camera that might be explain the difference in behavior.
dahua-network-access-platform.png
dahua-sd2a500-gn-pv-version.png

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Where do you leave the pigtail with this cam? Is there space underneath the cap at the top or do you leave it hanging?

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For me, they are just hanging.

I don't remember having a better option but I'll have to look again to know whether I was being lazy or if that was the only option.

Roxana31

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! Is your camera jerky with live interruptions and recordings? I also bought one and it works jerky with interruptions, I don't know if this model works like that or if it's my fault, look how it looks

Attachments

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello! Is your camera jerky with live interruptions and recordings? I also bought one and it works jerky with interruptions, I don't know if this model works like that or if it's my fault, look how it looks
Could you give us the settings on your cam's video page?
What medium or device do you use for recording?

Last edited:

Roxana31

n3wb
Reaction score
This is how it is set now, it also jerks on h265, any settings I would make are just as bad, it works with jerks and interruptions both live and the recordings on the memory card

Attachments