Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Updated 12/11/19. Edited for clarity.
Dahua OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS from EMPIRETECANDY
2MP WDR Turret Varifocal Network Camera

Review unit courtesy of Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: link
Andy's AliExpress store: link
Andy's Amazon store: link
Andy's Email: kingsecurity2014 (at) 163 (dot) com

Price Approximately US $130.00 shipped.
Purchase in IPCamTalk Store: link
Purchase from Amazon here: Link
Andy's Aliexpress store here: Link
(prices and links valid 12/10/19

This is version 2 of this camera with better lux rating: Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

The better lux rating is very obvious from tests. Significant improvement from the previous version.

2MP, 1/2.8” CMOS image sensor, low illuminance, high image definition
Outputs 2MP (1920 × 1080)@25/30 fps
H.265 codec, high compression rate, ultra-low bit rate
Built-in IR LED, max IR distance: 40 m
ROI, SMART H.264/H.265, flexible coding, applicable to various bandwidth and storage environments
Rotation mode, WDR, 3D DNR, HLC, BLC, digital watermarking, applicable to various monitoring scenes
Intelligent detection: Intrusion, tripwire
Abnormality detection: Motion detection, video tampering, no SD card, SD card full, SD card error, network disconnected, IP conflict, illegal access, voltage detection
Supports max. 256 GB Micro SD card
12V DC/PoE power support
IP67 protection

Full Spec Sheet: Here
Manual: Here

Image Sensor1/2.8” 2Megapixel progressive CMOS
Effective Pixels1920 (H) × 1080 (V)
ROM128 MB
RAM128 MB
Scanning SystemProgressive
Electronic Shutter SpeedAuto/Manual 1/3 s–1/100000 s
Min. Illumination0.002 Lux@F1.5
IR Distance40 m (131.23 ft)
IR On/Off ControlAuto/Manual
IR LEDs Number2
Pan/Tilt/Rotation RangeHorizonal: 0°–355°
Vertical: 0°–78°
Rotation: 0°–360°
Lens
Lens TypeMotorized vari-focal
Mount Typeφ14
Focal Length2.7 mm–13.5 mm
Max. ApertureF1.5
Field of ViewHorizonal: 109°–28°
Vertical: 57°–16°
Diagonal: 131°–33°
Iris TypeFixed aperture
Close Focus Distance0.8 m–0.8 m (2.62 ft–2.62 ft)
IMG_20191101_145029153.jpgIMG_20191101_145043218.jpgIMG_20191101_145053156.jpgIMG_20191101_145426957.jpgIMG_20191101_145529277.jpgIMG_20191101_145746384.jpg

Trying different settings at night. The scene is very dark to the point I have to use my phone at times to see where I'm walking.

All settings in this video is at factory defaults.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you think it compares at night with the 4mp 1/1.8" sensor?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Can never wrong with a varifocal, lol

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the R version on my back deck, but looking for something for my front and driveway. Adding this to consideration. Thanks! :)

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns - wonderful review - many thanks!

Would you consider adding this camera to your system as a replacement or addition?

You do such great camera reviews, it would be really cool if you put together short video talks where you discuss the specs and how they compare to different models. Kind of a tutorial/review that would help educate newbies like me. I can read and look at specs for hours but sometimes I'm not sure what I'm reading or seeing in the videos. I would learn much faster with a video discussion. I realize it would take extra time to do but you have such an extensive wealth of knowledge to share and it would come from an unbiased trusted source, which goes a long way. Just a thought. Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns - wonderful review - many thanks!

Would you consider adding this camera to your system as a replacement or addition?

You do such great camera reviews, it would be really cool if you put together short video talks where you discuss the specs and how they compare to different models. Kind of a tutorial/review that would help educate newbies like me. I can read and look at specs for hours but sometimes I'm not sure what I'm reading or seeing in the videos. I would learn much faster with a video discussion. I realize it would take extra time to do but you have such an extensive wealth of knowledge to share and it would come from an unbiased trusted source, which goes a long way. Just a thought. Thanks!
Thank you.
Yes, if the circumstances fit, this is a good choice of cam.
I have to give credit to IPCamTalk for what I do know about cams. Its mostly been absorbed from here and other members that know a heck of a lot more about cams than I do. ;) When I joined 3 years ago, I was a newb just like everyone else.
I'll most likely will not be doing any video reviews.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
where you discuss the specs and how they compare to different models.
IMO, if you're looking for a rough way to compare how different models will likely perform in low-light, check out the "Min. Illumination" spec... but always always always read through review threads (if available) to see how that spec pans out in reality. It's usually pretty spot-on but every now and then there are some models that have folks shaking their heads...

If you scroll up to the first post in this thread and look for the "Min. Illumination" spec, you'll see it's simply listed as: .002 Lux@F1.5 IMO, this is the new way that Dahua is listing this spec.

It used to be that the "Min. Illumination" spec contained three values. For example, the original version of this camera's "Min. Illumination" spec is listed as:
0.006Lux/F1.4( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.05Lux/F1.4( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.4(IR on)

If you run into an older camera with the three values, it's the top value (the Color,1/3s,30IRE one) that you'd use to compare to the single spec used for the new models.

So in this case, it's comparing .002Lux (new S2 model) against .006Lux (original model). A lower Lux value is usually better for low-light image quality, so the new model being .002Lux should be an improvement over the old model's .006Lux in terms of low-light performance.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With all the slightly different models \ model numbers I have lost track of what is what does what better than what....
It would be great to see a running spreadsheet which would compare specs of all the reviewed models side by side in columns and added as they come along and are reviewed. A row with a brief opinion \ conclusion \ recap....you know,...if you ever have the time for something like that. :wtf:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you.
Yes, if the circumstances fit, this is a good choice of cam.
I have to give credit to IPCamTalk for what I do know about cams. Its mostly been absorbed from here and other members that know a heck of a lot more about cams than I do. ;) When I joined 3 years ago, I was a newb just like everyone else.
I'll most likely will not be doing any video reviews.
Thanks Looney2ns. I think you've gained your expertise very quickly. I probably couldn't learn half as much in twice the amount of time.

Understand about not wanting to do special videos. It's very time consuming.

Is it fair to say that this new IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 should replace the IPC-HDW5231-ZE as a good starter vari-focal camera for a newbie such as myself to start out with for testing?
I'm asking because I'm at the point where I'd like to buy one camera to do testing with and to become familiar with the technology. Thanks!

Last edited:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMO, if you're looking for a rough way to compare how different models will likely perform in low-light, check out the "Min. Illumination" spec... but always always always read through review threads (if available) to see how that spec pans out in reality. It's usually pretty spot-on but every now and then there are some models that have folks shaking their heads...
Thanks Aristobrat - very helpful tip. You've explained it in a way that I can easily understand and apply.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With all the slightly different models \ model numbers I have lost track of what is what does what better than what....
It would be great to see a running spreadsheet which would compare specs of all the reviewed models side by side in columns and added as they come along and are reviewed. A row with a brief opinion \ conclusion \ recap....you know,...if you ever have the time for something like that. :wtf:
Great suggestion! Thanks. Kind of like what was done for the POE Switches. A master list for the top cameras as a sticky thread or found in a wiki and updated to be current as new reviews or models are added. That sure would help me out as I try to sort through past and present reviews and recommended lists of cameras.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns. I think you've gained your expertise very quickly. I probably couldn't learn half as much in twice the amount of time.

Understand about not wanting to do special videos. It's very time consuming.

Is it fair to say that this new IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 should replace the IPC-HDW5231-ZE as a good starter vari-focal camera for a newbie such as myself to start out with for testing?
I'm asking because I'm at the point where I'd like to buy one camera to do testing with and to become familiar with the technology. Thanks!
If you don't need audio, check local laws, then yes this could be a good starter cam. I think there are a couple of cams that will be or has been released that may very well dethrone the 5231ze.