Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns , Always a pleasure.
I love what this refreshed 2231 can do, but I want one with Mic (P.S, 2231-AS-S2 non Varifocal but with mic, what is this model ?).
What are my option ? still the 5231 only ?

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out the IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+, you won't be disappointed by the image quality ;)
Thanks Arjun. I read the review and it sounds like a very nice camera.
The gurus are suggesting a varifocal cam for an initial test unit and I got the impression the T5442 doesn't have a varifocal version available yet. With three fixed lens options I'd have to determine based on distance what would be the best version, which I can certainly do but maybe not ideal given my lack of any camera experience.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With three fixed lens options I'd have to determine based on distance what would be the best version, which I can certainly do but maybe not ideal given my lack of any camera experience.
IPVM Camera Calculator V3 makes that pretty easy to do, even without camera experience. Using that tool, here's what the angles of the three fixed-lens 5442 models look like on the front side of my house. There's a ton more useful info on that page that I didn't screenshot (like the PPF value, which is recommended to be 100+ to ID someone).

The only slightly confusing thing about that tool is that you need to add the Dahua model number for the 5442 (IPC-HDW5442TM-AS) in order to see all of the lens options (which are listed as degrees (113', 89', 56') instead of mm (2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm). If you enter Andy's model number for the 5442 (IPC-T5442TM), they only have the 2.8mm (113') lens in their database.

2.8mm
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 7.48.23 AM.png

3.6mm
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 7.48.33 AM.png

6mm
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 7.48.41 AM.png

Last edited:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like a bunch of new Lite models..
Which supports forumite nbstl68's proposal posted on page 1 of this thread and quoted below. The list of cameras is growing even in the short time I've been reading this forum and the established standards or suggested models is evolving. That's great news having access to advancing technology but creates a challenge trying to keep informed. Xmas is five weeks away. Have you added a new cam to your wish list?

With all the slightly different models \ model numbers I have lost track of what is what does what better than what....
It would be great to see a running spreadsheet which would compare specs of all the reviewed models side by side in columns and added as they come along and are reviewed. A row with a brief opinion \ conclusion \ recap....you know,...if you ever have the time for something like that. :wtf:

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have to pay for cloud storage for this camera or can you use a hard drive that’s attached to router?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have to pay for cloud storage for this camera or can you use a hard drive that’s attached to router?
No cloud storage needed. You can install an SD card into the camera, and record to it. Then view the recordings via a web browser.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you use a hard drive that’s attached to router?
If the router can share the drive as SMB that should probably work. Just don’t forget that these are not consumer-grade cameras so the expectation is that the end-user will have the technical know-how to set it all up. There won’t be a section in the manual that gives step-by-step instructions for doing that.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone give day time quality and night time ratings to both this camera and 5231r-ze? I’m leaning towards the latter since it had audio but would like to hear from someone who’s tested both cameras thanks

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perfect timing on the review, thanks! I was about to pull the trigger on the previous model but ended up ordering five of these directly from Andy as he doesn’t have them on Amazon yet.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looney, what other cameras will "dethrone" as you say this camera? i'm looking at buying this one to get my feet wet, also like full color, etc. interested in starlight-plus if that's a thing yet. are the 8MP's finally the same brightness as the 2MP starlights? if they are, why not get the 8 for more clarity? i'm in the woods with hardly any light and dont want to run IR if i dont have to.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looney, what other cameras will "dethrone" as you say this camera? i'm looking at buying this one to get my feet wet, also like full color, etc. interested in starlight-plus if that's a thing yet. are the 8MP's finally the same brightness as the 2MP starlights? if they are, why not get the 8 for more clarity? i'm in the woods with hardly any light and dont want to run IR if i dont have to.
There are no magic cams yet, they all require light to some extent. If you want to ID a face, then light of some sort is required.
The full color cams still need light.
This is one Starlight + Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-S Starlight+ | IP Cam Talk
8mp cams still do poorly in low light. Don't chase megapixels.
If you've not, study this: Cliff Notes

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'm in the woods with hardly any light and dont want to run IR if i dont have to.
I have no expertise in ipcams but DUDE, this is not possible unless we change physics. :)

To 'see' you need some EM radiation, whether it be IR or visible light.

Perhaps just define your goals for example "Excellent face ID at night" and then go and find the ideal cam.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no expertise in ipcams but DUDE, this is not possible unless we change physics. :)

To 'see' you need some EM radiation, whether it be IR or visible light.

Perhaps just define your goals for example "Excellent face ID at night" and then go and find the ideal cam.
well, my Gen3 NVG's work pretty good ;)

EM radiation? maybe i'll point the camera at my ham antennas and "see" the RF lol.

I bought a starter cam from B&H, waiting on andy to give me a quote on a varifocal. let the hair pulling begin :)