Review Sricam SP006/ SP007

adesmond2

n3wb
Reaction score
Introduction

I purchase a Sricam SP006 and SP007 each as my first indoor and outdoor surveillance camera. As they are pretty good, I thought of sharing my thoughts about them here. I hope that's okay as I don't seems to find any reviews about these cameras anywhere online when I'm preparing to purchase them.

I'm completely a beginners when comes to surveillance camera but I've read up a whole tons of information about most of them and decided on myself that, in lay man terms, there's only indoor which all parts are revealed and easily removed, and outdoor, which everything is concealed with water proofing functions. There's another important function which will determine on which camera to get if you have space constraint. (does this camera require a DVR/TV to be switch on 24/7 to assist you to record?) My answer is No, I do not want that as it would take up too much space and electric. I wanted something that can be retrieve anytime, anywhere I am.

I may write really obvious and use lay-man terms, so please bear with me.

On top of that, I would like to thank the friendly folks at Banggood for sending me a SP007 for review. Here we goes!

Once you receive it, it has a brown package and upon opening up, you get to see this.

The package of Sricam SP006 (Indoor)

It's really simple with sponge protectors covering the side to prevent impact, I comes with power adapter and the camera itself, a holder, 2 screws and a manual. The antenna is built-in and thus you would not be able to unscrew it.

The package of Sricam SP007 (Outdoor)

As usual, sponge protectors covering side to top to prevent any scratch or damages. It comes with a power adapter, manual, 3 screws, an allen key for you to tighen your camera's angle and a antenna which you need to turn in AFTER you drill your camera into the wall.

Build Quality

The Sricam SP006 feels very toy-ish. It feels like it might break if you break it from 1 meter and above. Both the camera and the holder is make of plastic. But the good points is, you could rotate the camera in any angle you wish to, the website stated 270 degree but my sister accidentally rotate it both side180 degree which makes it 360 degree. I've didn't test it as I'm worried that the bearing might be accidentally damaged.

On top of that, it comes with voice capabilities as well, both listen and speak but the voice clarity is bad, feels like voice over IP and it's more of walkie talkie, one side can speak at one point of time and once you press speak on your mobile phone, your recording will mute off. The camera also comes with Buzzer which will goes off like an alarm system if motion is detected. Unless you ensure no one will enter your room/walk pass the area you are observing while you are away, you could set it up. (I decided to switch it off unless I'm overseas)

The Sricam SP007 feels much solid but a bit heavy for such a small device for my thoughts. It's make of metal both cover and the body. The cover is to protect the lens from getting damage if there's anything that fall from the top as well as preventing the water from getting to the lens and blur your vision.There's water proofing seal to ensure no water leak into the motherboard.

Some of the SP007 doesn't comes with memory on board and you need to send it back to Sricam to get them to install with a huge price tag. Alternatively, if you are a DIY personnel, you can open up the 3 screws behind (be really careful as the antenna wire is only 1 thin wire), remove 2 mother boards and you can insert the memory card on the second motherboard that you remove, no soldering required, just a small screw drive for removing internal screws and a big screw driver for external. Oh ya! There's a "xx" amount of pins that will link between the first and second motherboard as well. (just remove softly, no screws required)

The Application

The Application used is APCam, P2P software. The software allows you to have live view, check out the recorded videos, do all kind of settings.
As these 2 cameras started with SP, so it belongs to the SP group. Set up was a breeze, but remember if you wish to change to wifi mode, use the setting->Network setting instead of those scan. The scan doesn't seems to work as I've tried at least 30min setting with QR code until I found this network setting which can swap to Wifi easily upon keying my network password.

A quick introduce on the application's settings.

Date/Time
- uses your phone's date/time, you just need to set the time zone. GMT X
Media Settings
- Leave it to default, you would not want a lower quality. Image reverse will depends on your positioning of your camera.
Security settings
- Setting up Admin and Guest Password, remember to change both admin and guest as you don't want any weird personnels to tap into your house camera.
Network Setting
- this is where you can choose wired internet or wireless. DON'T choose ethernet when you are out of your house, else you can't connect it back anymore.
Alarm Setting
- You will be able to receive phone/email notification if motion is detected. This includes any crawling insect that decided to walk pass your path. Buzzer is set here.
Recording setting
- Choose between Manual, alarm or scheduled recording. I have no idea why I can't manual record but that doesn't really matter right? Alarm recording is the best. (motion detect on and it will auto record when motion is detected) You can set 1,2 or 4 mins records.
Defence area
- Unknown as I didn't really try. it might be masking off areas,
Storage settings
- See the amount of space you left, I'm still pending for my SD card to be full to know what would happen after it's full. (auto delete or no more recording) You can reformat your SD card from here as well.
Device update
- you will be able to update your device software from here.

Recording Characteristics

SP006

SP007 (can't get to night mode as my corridor is very bright)

It's pretty clear and night mode is amazing for both device, SP007 is more clear and bright in night mode. The records are on motion detect for both of my device. The Rotating on SP006 is great for checking out my dog when I'm away. It's interesting to see how your dog react to your voice when you are away. :)

Issues that I've faced

1) Wires too short, it's solved easily by extending the wires, remember not to extend beyond 2 meters for SP006, voltage is only 5V and after extending for 2 meters, it dropped to 4.8V which is still do-able. SP007 is 10V and I've extended additional 3 meters.
2) Unable to pull out videos except using the physical memory card, I could only do screen shot of the suspicious characters. Verified and you can't pull out the actual video files, just screen shot once you found that person. Video files require the memory card itself, which is a hassle for SP007. No PC program for Sricam as it's mainly for live view and replay only. (try to insert a minimum of 64gb so that you can keep video files up to 1 month) 16GB can only keep 1 week+.
3) SP007 doesn't comes with built-in memory card. (solved by the method as advised by Sricam, advised earlier in the post)

4) SP007's initial wires to ethernet port too short to keep indoor. (DIY resolved it by making a box and keeping it inside, pictures below)

Conclusion. (Pros)

1) They are almost operable out of box, depends on your usage. You just need to purchase or use any of your spare memory card that you can find. (16GB can last estimated 10 day Max) Up to date, 10GB - 7 Days
2) Wires extension depends on individual usage.
3) You don't need a additional DVR Recorder or TV. U can just switch on your APP and see what's exactly going on in the area you wish to see. Up to 1admin/5 users at any point of time.

SP007 - Outdoor to deter all thief and crime, waterproof, require to drill into your wall to mount it as it's heavy. Smaller viewing angle compared to SP006 but with better clarity.

SP006 - Best for all home usage, just mount onto any place you need with the holder, or you can just use it as a stand alone unit. Observe your pet, baby sitter or anything you wish to check. Security alarm also possible as there's buzzer installed. (one of the photo seems to be out of rotation)

If there's any questions, just post, I'll answer to my best abilities.

Links for purchases:
SP006
http://www.banggood.com/Sricam-SP006-P2P-720P-IR-CUT-IP-Security-Camera-Support-TF-Card-p-962305.html
SP007
http://www.banggood.com/Sricam-SP007-720P-HD-IR-Network-Wireless-Outdoor-Security-IP-Camera-p-971087.html

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review! Well organised. If you can post a sample video or snapshots taken by the cameras, that would be a very helpful addition to your review.

tincho1900

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the review!
what programme do you use to record your videos?
or just use the sd card and then watch your videos online?
in the web of sricam the model sp007 appear with only 4 led. i don´t know why you have different, with more leds. maybe is the same :)

adesmond2

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the review!
what programme do you use to record your videos?
or just use the sd card and then watch your videos online?
in the web of sricam the model sp007 appear with only 4 led. i don´t know why you have different, with more leds. maybe is the same :)
Hi there!
No worries.. No programs required, just download the app and set motion detection on, it will auto record for you into your memory card..
For view, indeed, just view from the app using your phone.. :)
haha.. yup.. i just gotten a newer SP007, it's only 4 LED.. that's way better with the memory card slot outside. :)

tincho1900

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
today i bought a SP007 at aliexpress, so you say the memory card slot is outside? excellent!!! good news for me! the picture that shows on the web doesn´t appear the card slot :( maybe is an old version :)
now i only have the AP006, but not yet i put the sd card, maybe is for that reason that the option to record videos with motion detection does not appear.
i use the app APCamera. do you use the same? and then how do you access to your record videos? i mean, how can you access to the videos of the memory sd card?

thanks for any advice :)

adesmond2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
today i bought a SP007 at aliexpress, so you say the memory card slot is outside? excellent!!! good news for me! the picture that shows on the web doesn´t appear the card slot :( maybe is an old version :)
now i only have the AP006, but not yet i put the sd card, maybe is for that reason that the option to record videos with motion detection does not appear.
i use the app APCamera. do you use the same? and then how do you access to your record videos? i mean, how can you access to the videos of the memory sd card?

thanks for any advice :)
Hi Pal,

Sorry that I don't look at this thread often. meanwhile, I'm not familiar with AP series.. I'm only gotten all SP series. Based on my information, AP and Sp are very different. You might want to contact their support team to get more advises.. :)

I'm using Sricam APP to access all videos.. ;)

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this post is old... but, Im old....Ive read every post, every where, to the end of earth and back, and I cant find a solution to my problem. I purchased, a while ago, the POS Sricam ap001, not knowing the problems I would face.. anyway, I hope somebody can help..
I can connect the cameras (2), via wired, thru my centurylink modem, but when I disconnect the wires from modem, the cameras stos working. Where I plug into the power cord/ethernet wire, the green light keeps flashing, while the amber stays solid. When I unplug, to go to wifi, the green light flashes for a minute, then shuts off.. amber stays lit. At one point, I got the wifi to work on one of the cameras.. went to set up the other one, and lost wifi on the 1st one.. been working on this for 3 days.. Does any of this make sense??? Please advise.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On WiFi, the camera will likely have a different IP address, if you are relying on your DHCP server / router to assign addresses.
Have you checked the 'connected devices' list on the router to see if it shows when on WiFi?

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
On WiFi, the camera will likely have a different IP address, if you are relying on your DHCP server / router to assign addresses.
Have you checked the 'connected devices' list on the router to see if it shows when on WiFi?
If you mean by "connected devices on router", it shows an IP address when Im "wired" in.. cant get wifi.. when I use P2P ID Finder, it brings up IP address.. I can see a picture, when wired... its when I unplug, to go to wifi, is the problem.. so, I cant check to see if the router is listing devices. BTW. sorry for duplicate post. I wasnt sure this one went thru, cause I couldnt find it..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean by "connected devices on router", it shows an IP address when Im "wired" in.. cant get wifi..
Yes, that's what I meant.
So you are saying that when the camera ethernet cable is unplugged, to therefore enable WiFi, there is no longer a connected device?
Do you see a 'connected device' for any other devices that are only on WiFi, such as a phone?
If you see a phone, but not the camera, that does suggest the WiFi on the camera is simply not working.

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I meant.
So you are saying that when the camera ethernet cable is unplugged, to therefore enable WiFi, there is no longer a connected device?
Do you see a 'connected device' for any other devices that are only on WiFi, such as a phone?
If you see a phone, but not the camera, that does suggest the WiFi on the camera is simply not working.
correct.. unplugged=no connected device.. and, yes, I do see my phone. Do you know how to get the camera to work?? wait........... I went to device table on modem.. I unplugged one wire.. it still show IP address.. so, maybe I do have hope... but, lost picture...

Last edited:

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
Im not sure if I know what Im talking about, at this point.. its frustrating .

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
shellroc, did you reboot the camera after unplugging the ethernet cable? I have a old Panasonic camera that needs rebooting after setting up wireless or it won't work.

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
shellroc, did you reboot the camera after unplugging the ethernet cable? I have a old Panasonic camera that needs rebooting after setting up wireless or it won't work.
Not sure what you mean by "rebooting" the camera.. I unplug the ethernet, then refresh the device viewer on the computer..everything goes dead.. is that what you mean?

Last edited:

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a good question.

Power cycle the camera, let it boot up again.
not sure what you mean by "power cycle the camera".. Im using P2P ID finder.. it finds the camera..I then highlight the camera so that I can open it.. I click on the inner access IP address (open) and it opens in IE. I type in password.. then click on option to open in IE. I go to Tools icon, then to wireless LAN settings, where I scan, twice...I find the modem/router... click it and put in information.. ssid (name of my moden), network type (infra), authentication (wpa2-psk personal (tkip), and share key(the password for modem. I then submit... takes a minute.. this is all done while wired. the device is rebooting... it brings me back to option to open in IE. I unplug cable, and thats when I loose everything

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
I hope the picture came thru... this is the plug in for cable and power.. the amber light stays lit.. the green light flashes.. and the little button resets. Ive pushed that, and again, nothing happens

Attachments

shellroc2

n3wb
Reaction score
What are the various choices in this drop-down?
infra & adhoc. I tried both...so left it on infra..the adhoc option wouldnt give me options to run camera re: video, etc.. also, dont know if this means anything, but, I CAN get the cameras to work on my phone.. over the wifi option. I turned my phone to wifi only, and tada....picture.. LOL

Last edited: