Revisiting Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

BlueWave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Guys, been an avid Blue Iris user for about 7 months now and for the most part everything has been smooth after the initial setup and learning curve.

I have a pretty beefy gaming PC where I run BlueIris on and over the past 7 months noticed CPU usage and Memory usage "seemed" to be slowly climbing month after month, but nothing drastic like from 32% to 55% over a 6-month span. Here are my desktop specs...

Intel i7-6900K CPU @ 3.2Ghz
32GB DDR4-3200 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB
512GB Samsung 950 PRO M.2 PCI-E SSD
2x Samsung 850 Pro SSD Raid 0
17 Camera Setup - 4K Cameras + 2 PTZ
Windows 10 Pro

I decided to revisit the forums and see what I could do. First thing I thought was a memory leak but quickly realized with the GTX 1070 I don't have the integrated graphics driver, okay onto the next. I did the CPU optimization steps on initial setup months ago and it worked wonders but figured I'd revisit it, and manually comb over each step again to see what I missed. I completed every single step, including on the camera web interface but realized two things I have not implemented (Not sure if this was listed 6+ months ago)

- Limit decoding unless required
- Blue Iris's "Max. rate" option in camera properties

With my beefy setup and 17 camera system, it brought my memory usage down from 13G to 4G (9G Savings) and lowered my CPU usage from 55% to 14%. Drastic changes! Of course the next step is to check for any negative side effects.

Point being is for those with CPU & Memory Usage issues is to revisit the optimization guide ( Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk ) and comb over each step one by one even if you did it in the past.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, been an avid Blue Iris user for about 7 months now and for the most part everything has been smooth after the initial setup and learning curve.

I have a pretty beefy gaming PC where I run BlueIris on and over the past 7 months noticed CPU usage and Memory usage "seemed" to be slowly climbing month after month, but nothing drastic like from 32% to 55% over a 6-month span. Here are my desktop specs...

Intel i7-6900K CPU @ 3.2Ghz
32GB DDR4-3200 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB
512GB Samsung 950 PRO M.2 PCI-E SSD
2x Samsung 850 Pro SSD Raid 0
17 Camera Setup - 4K Cameras + 2 PTZ
Windows 10 Pro

I decided to revisit the forums and see what I could do. First thing I thought was a memory leak but quickly realized with the GTX 1070 I don't have the integrated graphics driver, okay onto the next. I did the CPU optimization steps on initial setup months ago and it worked wonders but figured I'd revisit it, and manually comb over each step again to see what I missed. I completed every single step, including on the camera web interface but realized two things I have not implemented (Not sure if this was listed 6+ months ago)

- Limit decoding unless required
- Blue Iris's "Max. rate" option in camera properties

With my beefy setup and 17 camera system, it brought my memory usage down from 13G to 4G (9G Savings) and lowered my CPU usage from 55% to 14%. Drastic changes! Of course the next step is to check for any negative side effects.

Point being is for those with CPU & Memory Usage issues is to revisit the optimization guide ( Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk ) and comb over each step one by one even if you did it in the past.
limit decoding will cause issues with motion detection and will spike when remote viewing.
The max bitrate in the camera properties does nothing....blue iris auto adjusts it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
limit decoding will cause issues with motion detection and will spike when remote viewing.
The max bitrate in the camera properties does nothing....blue iris auto adjusts it.
I will add, after a discussion with @bp2008 a week or so ago, I went through all my cams, and set the maxbite down to the actual frame rate of the cam. They had been at default of 25FPS I believe, anyway considerable amount of memory was reduced with this change.
Like from 1.5gb down to 890M.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will add, after a discussion with @bp2008 a week or so ago, I went through all my cams, and set the maxbite down to the actual frame rate of the cam. They had been at default of 25FPS I believe, anyway considerable amount of memory was reduced with this change.
Like from 1.5gb down to 890M.
However after blue iris auto adjusts it will revert back.