RFC: Advice Needed On a Configuration

kfmfe04

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been reading up these forums day and night, catching up on the latest news on what would work best for our 2-storey single family home.

Yesterday, Andy got back to me with inventory and prices, so I thought I'd introduce myself and do a Request For Comment, before I pull the trigger. My name's Ken and I'm located in the East Bay (NorCal). Although I know computers and networking, I'm too clumsy to be handy around the house. Just thinking about how to wire up Cat6a to the outside is giving me a massive headache.

Assumptions/Requirements
I'm assuming that any intruders will be wearing a mask and using fake plates so I'm not too big on the identification part of DORI. For the most part, Detect and Observe will probably be sufficient. What's important to me is, to detect intrusion in progress (alert to mobile). Initially, I prefer to err on the side of many false positives (eg last night there were deer in the front yard) and then tighten down later. So my intention is to use SD cards and record 24/7. Because I have to hire someone to wire (who charges per camera), I'm preferring four better cameras over many more so-so cameras.

Biases/Leaning to NVR
Although I prefer Linux and OSX, I like hands-off appliance boxes even more. Even though I have a old box sitting around that could be dedicated to BlueIris, XProtect, BlueCherry, or ZoneMinder, I'm going to go for the Dahua DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2. I hope to configure and fine-tune the NVR once and then hopefully, leave it hands-off. I'm hoping that I can just see what's happening from an iPhone and do any additional tweaking from an OSX client.

Home Layout and Equipment (4 Cameras + NVR)
On the front (camera 1) and alley side of the house (camera 4), the streets are well-lit with city LED lights, so I'm thinking the 4K Starvis IPC-HDW5830RZ (camera 1) and IPC-HFW5830E-Z5 (alley) should do fine - I'll basically trading the superlative IPC-HDW5231R-Z for some more pixels. There are steep slopes on the backside and southside of the house, so if intruders are enthusiastic enough to scale from those approaches, they're free to come inside. I have a Skybell HD at the front door.

Wiring (bane of my existence)

Without knowing anything about a house except that it has an attic, I hear that installers can magically wire from my second floor closet, up to the attic, and down to the outer walls.

But when I take a closer look, the walls for camera 3 and 4 do not go all the way to the attic. So it looks like I need to extend an ethernet outlet from the first floor Great Room to a PoE switch, and then feed these lines outside to cameras 3 and 4. For cameras 1 and 2, I have a couple telephone lines wired up already with Cat6a that I think can be converted into PoE lines that hook up directly to the NVR on the second floor (red dot).

Using existing lines, I am highly tempted to make these extensions myself (I think Camera 1 through the garage is the easiest). But every time I think I can do it, I chicken out after reading horror stories about hitting joists, fire stops, water pipes and electrical lines. In the end, I think I'll have to shell out at least a big to have pros do this. Install's gonna cost almost as much as the equipment. 8^P

Questions/Items I'm still researching and thinking about
1. I'm looking at PFB203W mounts for the turrets. Any mount suggestions for the bullet camera?
2. I read that 8MP cameras will require substreams. What setting for the substream is recommended for an iPhone 6s Plus?
3. I'm thinking about a 5th PTZ camera (SD49225T-HN) for the backyard or the front corner of the house, just as a plaything, honestly, but I keep flip-flopping on this, as it'll cost another $5-600, installed, I think. Any comments from PTZ owners?

Photos below are taken with an iPhone (not the actual camera) to get an approximate image.

I appreciate any comments/practical advice. I hope to come to some kind of decision by the end of the coming week and send Andy an order and a PayPal payment.

Thanks in Advance!

- Ken

View_1.JPG View_2.JPG View_3.JPG View_4.JPG 1_Frontside.JPG 2_Side.JPG 3_4_Side.JPG

Camera_Locations.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1- your assumptions are wrong...masks and fake plates are rareley used...just look at the plethora of footage available on youtube.
2-you will go crazy with false positives if you dont figure out how to fine tune the motion detection or use PIR.
3- spend the money you will waste on the ptz to wire and install more fixed cameras

kfmfe04

n3wb
Reaction score
1- your assumptions are wrong...masks and fake plates are rareley used...just look at the plethora of footage available on youtube.
2-you will go crazy with false positives if you dont figure out how to fine tune the motion detection or use PIR.
3- spend the money you will waste on the ptz to wire and install more fixed cameras
Doesn't the PFB203W allow you to make a smaller hole in the wall?
If not, then I can save $20/unit. Thx.

- Ken

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't the PFB203W allow you to make a smaller hole in the wall?
If not, then I can save $20/unit. Thx.

- Ken
Hi Ken,

I think there is a misunderstanding some place here... the PFB203W is completely worth it imho.

Using bulk cable and crimping the RJ45 connectors and connecting it outside of the walls allows you to make smaller holes.

The wall mount ( PFB203W ) allows you to have a nice protected location to stuff the connection in outside the wall.

I'll take a quick look at your RFC, in the meanwhile...

Just in case you have not yet seen this:

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

Assumptions/Requirements
I'm assuming that any intruders will be wearing a mask and using fake plates so I'm not too big on the identification part of DORI. For the most part, Detect and Observe will probably be sufficient. What's important to me is, to detect intrusion in progress (alert to mobile). Initially, I prefer to err on the side of many false positives (eg last night there were deer in the front yard) and then tighten down later. So my intention is to use SD cards and record 24/7. Because I have to hire someone to wire (who charges per camera), I'm preferring four better cameras over many more so-so cameras.
A1: Many intruders are still not wearing masks, nor fake plates. Many are wearing hats and hoodies. So placement of cameras lower is good, and potential ID images are still good, so the I in DORI is still important.

A2: If you plan to keep the home, better to do your wiring well. IF you need more wired locations, you should do it. I would ask if your cabling contractor will charge less for a pulling a 2nd cable to the SAME location. ( it should be cheaper than pulling 2 cables to 2 separate locations ).

A3: Better cameras are good. More better cameras are even better. 8MP cameras are great for the day, 2MP Dahua Starlight cameras are great for low light conditions. ( please see the links in the notes referred to above. ) - personally I would like to have a mix of the 2.

A4: Cabling and camera location selection is the most critical part of your build out right now. Good to get at least one camera and PSE ( power sourcing equipment ) and start testing views before committing to your locations.

Wiring (bane of my existence)
Using existing lines, I am highly tempted to make these extensions myself ..
A: If you are willing to, you certainly can DIY. Any able bodied person who is willing to learn can do it. Just a question of will power and time.

Questions/Items I'm still researching and thinking about
1. I'm looking at PFB203W mounts for the turrets. Any mount suggestions for the bullet camera?...
A: PFA121.

kfmfe04

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

A1: Many intruders are still not wearing masks, nor fake plates. Many are wearing hats and hoodies. So placement of cameras lower is good, and potential ID images are still good, so the I in DORI is still important.

A: PFA121.
Great suggestions! Much appreciated. TY.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

example of what you can expect from a burglary:

notice in this particular case the cameras are mounted too high.

kfmfe04

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

example of what you can expect from a burglary:

notice in this particular case the cameras are mounted too high.
Hmm... ...looks like the front door's a bit tricky - too high and you can't see the face.
Too low and you're prone to vandalism.

Is 7-8 feet the typical height here?

Luckily, I have a Skybell - but that's assuming that it's actually working when the burgular comes a knockin'

- K

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm... ...looks like the front door's a bit tricky - too high and you can't see the face.
Too low and you're prone to vandalism.

Is 7-8 feet the typical height here?

Luckily, I have a Skybell - but that's assuming that it's actually working when the burgular comes a knockin'

- K
Hi Kevin,

I use a Dahua mini-dome wedge at the front door, mounted 5 feet high. Works very well, I've screwed it deep into a stud with long screws, and painted the cover.
The camera is IK10 rated, so it is well rated vs vandalism.

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/au/products/ipc-hdbw4231f-as-3691.html

Also, by the time you get to my front door, 2 other cameras should have already had a good opportunity to get an image of you.

kfmfe04

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

I use a Dahua mini-dome wedge at the front door, mounted 5 feet high. Works very well, I've screwed it deep into a stud with long screws, and painted the cover.
The camera is IK10 rated, so it is well rated vs vandalism.

IPC-HDBW4231F-AS - Dahua Technology

Also, by the time you get to my front door, 2 other cameras should have already had a good opportunity to get an image of you.
mat200,

ic - this points out the importance of redundancy...

BTW, I'm trying to understand how to count up channels, so I can pick the right NVR capacity.

Please correct me if anything is wrong below (assuming 24/7 recording + live viewing via iPhone):

1. If I'm using a 2MP turret, it would be 1 channel.
2. If I'm using a 3x2MP Pano like IPC-PFW8601-A180, it would be 3 channels.
3. If I'm using a 8MP turret, I need 2 channels - one for the main recording, and one subchannel to transmit lower resolution to an iPhone.

If I understand correctly, higher resolutions/complex cameras can eat up the number of channels in an NVR quickly, if I also need live mobile access.

- Ken

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

I do not know about the Pano camera.

Think of it as channel ~= camera

So a 16 channel NVR can have up to 16 cameras attached to it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200,

ic - this points out the importance of redundancy...

BTW, I'm trying to understand how to count up channels, so I can pick the right NVR capacity.

Please correct me if anything is wrong below (assuming 24/7 recording + live viewing via iPhone):

1. If I'm using a 2MP turret, it would be 1 channel.
2. If I'm using a 3x2MP Pano like IPC-PFW8601-A180, it would be 3 channels.
3. If I'm using a 8MP turret, I need 2 channels - one for the main recording, and one subchannel to transmit lower resolution to an iPhone.

If I understand correctly, higher resolutions/complex cameras can eat up the number of channels in an NVR quickly, if I also need live mobile access.

- Ken
#3, does not require a channel on the NVR for the substream.