Riddle me this. What did I do?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I used BI years ago I set up open VPN and used the openvpn app to have remote access to BI remotely from my home network.

For some reason I can access Blue Iris from my android phone without openvpn Installed and my wifi off.

What am I missing here?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I used BI years ago I set up open VPN and used the openvpn app to have remote access to BI remotely from my home network.
You said "... remote access to BI remotely from my home network."

How is the access done REMOTELY if you're on your HOME network?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

For some reason I can access Blue Iris from my android phone without openvpn Installed and my wifi off.

What am I missing here?
If you have upnp on in your router (it should be off) and used the remote access wizard, it created a port forward rule. delete it and disable upnp

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have upnp on in your router (it should be off) and used the remote access wizard, it created a port forward rule. delete it and disable upnp
Ok. So will openvpn still give me remote access or will that remove remote access?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to first remove the remote access you have via port forward because its not secure. Then use open vpn.
Done! Thank you so much. I apologize for the newbie question but sincerely appreciate your quick reply.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to first remove the remote access you have via port forward because its not secure. Then use open vpn. Another option would be zerotier - there are a number of threads on this.
I haven't touched BI in years so I have forgotten everything. I used to add IP addressed to restrict access via the BI firewall. If I add anything in there now it blocks me from remote access too. No matter what.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't touched BI in years so I have forgotten everything. I used to add IP addressed to restrict access via the BI firewall. If I add anything in there now it blocks me from remote access too. No matter what.
BI doesnt have a firewall but it can block specific ips or allow specific ip's. You are likely only allowing certain ips and not using the - sign. There is no reason to use this function if you are using vpn for remote access.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI doesnt have a firewall but it can block specific ips or allow specific ip's. You are likely only allowing certain ips and not using the - sign. There is no reason to use this function if you are using vpn for remote access.
I didn't have the box in front of me. I was referring to what you described. I'll leave it alone then. Everything is running amazing. Thank you again.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every since I started using ZeroTier I have not been able to log onto UI3 remotely. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Every since I started using ZeroTier I have not been able to log onto UI3 remotely. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks
This doent make sense. Zerotier is designed to allow remote access. Without knowing what you did its anyone's guess. You likely disabled your old method of remote access and didnt setup zerotier correctly.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This doent make sense. Zerotier is designed to allow remote access. Without knowing what you did its anyone's guess. You likely disabled your old method of remote access and didnt setup zerotier correctly.
Rodger that. any solutions? Thanks

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have your remote phone or PC set up and "authorized" as members on the Zerotier login settings page?
After installing on each device you need to login and check the box to Auth? each device. On an Iphone you need to make sure the VPN is turned on also and that Zerotier is selected.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have your remote phone or PC set up and "authorized" as members on the Zerotier login settings page?
After installing on each device you need to login and check the box to Auth? each device. On an Iphone you need to make sure the VPN is turned on also and that Zerotier is selected.
Yes. I was using port forwarding. But my internet went down and when the service guy installed a new router the port forward wasn’t working. So, instead of re-setting up port forward I used @looney2ns suggestion on using ZeroTeir. I have everyone’s devices authorized and working fine. I get push notifications and and remote view using BI app. But before I was able to log into UI3 remotely. I fell I missed a step for remote access to computer using ZT. So it’s a pain having to run out to the property where cameras/computer is so as to tweak settings. Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. I was using port forwarding. But my internet went down and when the service guy installed a new router the port forward wasn’t working. So, instead of re-setting up port forward I used @looney2ns suggestion on using ZeroTeir. I have everyone’s devices authorized and working fine. I get push notifications and and remote view using BI app. But before I was able to log into UI3 remotely. I fell I missed a step for remote access to computer using ZT. So it’s a pain having to run out to the property where cameras/computer is so as to tweak settings. Thanks
You need to use the same zeroteir IP address that you put into the BI app for UI3.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Then zerotier is working properly. You need to install zerotier on the remote computer you are using to connect. There many settings you can change from UI3, are you confusing it with something else?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Install Teamviewer on the remote computer and your home computer, and you won't need to run out to the property to tweak settings.