Ripping out the guts of Dahua NVR and putting inside NEMA enclosure?

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ordered a NVR5216-16P and this thing is massive and loud. My brother-in-law complains it is too loud in his computer room and definitely wouldnt' recommend to put it in bedroom.

I have another NVR5216 on order for my mother-in law and originally was going to put it in her bedroom because that's where all the cables will terminate to the rear of the home. But now, I am thinking about putting this in her mini-gym. The problem is her mini-gym is like an outdoor patio with an overhang. So I will need to protect it with a NEMA box enclosure.

Does anyone know if it would be wise to rip out the guts of the NVR and then stick it in the nema box. I could save so much more space. The reason why the NVR5216 is so big is because it supports 2 hard drive and we don't have a need for this at the moment.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is why it's best to purchase the non-poe version. Then run the cameras to a POE switch, then you only need one cable to the NVR and makes it much easier to place the NVR.

But yes, you could gut it and put them in a NEMA, fellow member @bigredfish in florida has two nvr's outdoors in nema boxes.
If possible, I'd try to avoid direct sun on the box, and if you can't, paint the box white.
They do sell ventilated NEMA boxes.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking at the ventiled Altelix box now. I already have a non-vented Altelix box for my PoE switch.

Now I wonder if these two cables are necessary to function for the NVR, if the NVR will complain that it isn't connected. Looks like they lead to the front panel but not sure what that ribbon cable is for and whether or not I can leave that disconnected. So much wasted space inside this NVR...

inside.jpg

I will be using this box... I haven't figured out how I can mount the hard drive to it. I can mount the NVR motherboard and stuff because the screws are at the top. But the screws are at the bottom for a HDD.nema box.JPG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking at the ventiled Altelix box now. I already have a non-vented Altelix box for my PoE switch.

Now I wonder if these two cables are necessary to function for the NVR, if the NVR will complain that it isn't connected. Looks like they lead to the front panel but not sure what that ribbon cable is for and whether or not I can leave that disconnected. So much wasted space inside this NVR...

View attachment 43648

I will be using this box... I haven't figured out how I can mount the hard drive to it. I can mount the NVR motherboard and stuff because the screws are at the top. But the screws are at the bottom for a HDD.View attachment 43649
All you can do is unplug them and try it.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Usb cable going to the front is one of them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered a NVR5216-16P and this thing is massive and loud. My brother-in-law complains it is too loud in his computer room and definitely wouldnt' recommend to put it in bedroom.

I have another NVR5216 on order for my mother-in law and originally was going to put it in her bedroom because that's where all the cables will terminate to the rear of the home. But now, I am thinking about putting this in her mini-gym. The problem is her mini-gym is like an outdoor patio with an overhang. So I will need to protect it with a NEMA box enclosure.

Does anyone know if it would be wise to rip out the guts of the NVR and then stick it in the nema box. I could save so much more space. The reason why the NVR5216 is so big is because it supports 2 hard drive and we don't have a need for this at the moment.
It will be much easier to simply return it and replace with a quieter unit or modify the fan - there are several threads on fan mods.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @MakeItRain

In general I prefer no computers in bedrooms which have lights and fans as they can hamper good sleep.

I would try to avoid placing outdoors if the temp and humidity can be extreme there.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry I should’ve clarified. It’s not an outdoor patio. It’s fully enclosed space that was an addition to the house. It’s a 12x12 ft space. There is no ac plumbing so it does and could get hot during summer but there is a roof over it.

For our house, the router gateway and nvr are in the master walk-in closet . We don’t hear it which is great. But that is not the 5216, it is the 4216 sibling. Still have a hum but only when you go into the closet.