RJ45 wires backwards!

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so for whatever reason after getting done with my camera install I realized that I must have dyslexia because I wired all the cat 6 cables backwards! As far as I can tell, everything is working fine but I did not know if there was any problem this could cause.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, the two ends are the same.

What I mean by backwards is, starting from the orange white stripe the T-568B sequence goes from right to left instead of left to right :/

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
as long as the two ends are the same :)
Almost. Pairs are supposed to be used on pins [1,2], [3,6], [7,8], [4,5] and if you don't wire the physical pairs to those pins then the electrical characteristics won't be as expected and it can hurt the performance of the cable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the two ends are the same.

What I mean by backwards is, starting from the orange white stripe the T-568B sequence goes from right to left instead of left to right :/
Yeah that should be fine, it will just be confusing if someone else has to come along later and re-crimp an end.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Almost. Pairs are supposed to be used on pins [1,2], [3,6], [7,8], [4,5] and if you don't wire the physical pairs to those pins then the electrical characteristics won't be as expected and it can hurt the performance of the cable.
So, I should fix them?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah that should be fine, it will just be confusing if someone else has to come along later and re-crimp an end.
Got it. I re-read your above comment and get what you are saying now. The twisted pairs need to correspond in the sequence properly.