Rloading Blue Iris On Same Computer

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before I do this I want to make sure I'm doing it right, and don't end up having to purchase a new license.

After running smoothly for quite a long time, my installation of Blue Iris is suddenly having issues... The "service" appears to be running smoothly in the background, posting images and clips of alert events, but the desktop interface does not load completely. It gets as far as showing the matrix of camera views, but interaction with those cameras is impossible, and I cannot access clips through the desktop interface.

I'm guessing that the best course is to reinstall BlueIris and see if that fixes the issue. What I don't want, however is to lose all the settings I have set up (yes, I failed to back those up, I think). Also, if I'm reinstalling onto the same computer, will I need to "deactivate" BlueIris and then "reactivate" after the reinstallation?

So, any quick tips for the best way to reinstall BlueIris?

I'm currently running version 4.3.9.4 x64.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before you reinstall, check how many alert images you have. My UI becomes unresponsive when I let the alerts get too high (close to 100K for mine). You can clear them in the app.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before you reinstall, check how many alert images you have. My UI becomes unresponsive when I let the alerts get too high (close to 100K for mine). You can clear them in the app.
The only capture images I'm saving are simply quick grabs of one camera, in a "rotating" sequential file that keeps just the past several images. As far as archived clips are concerned, I only have a few hundred, and those are overwritten as they age, or if storage space becomes an issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Before I do this I want to make sure I'm doing it right, and don't end up having to purchase a new license.

After running smoothly for quite a long time, my installation of Blue Iris is suddenly having issues... The "service" appears to be running smoothly in the background, posting images and clips of alert events, but the desktop interface does not load completely. It gets as far as showing the matrix of camera views, but interaction with those cameras is impossible, and I cannot access clips through the desktop interface.

I'm guessing that the best course is to reinstall BlueIris and see if that fixes the issue. What I don't want, however is to lose all the settings I have set up (yes, I failed to back those up, I think). Also, if I'm reinstalling onto the same computer, will I need to "deactivate" BlueIris and then "reactivate" after the reinstallation?

So, any quick tips for the best way to reinstall BlueIris?

I'm currently running version 4.3.9.4 x64.
export all your settings in the about tab...then deactivate...
make sure you have your license key..

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Alert images are stored in the DB, which are different from the capture images you save...If you go to the Alerts tabs, it will show a total count. The alerts images cause the DB size to get larger and the UI to become less responsive (depending on your hardware). They are basically screen grabs of the clips.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
export all your settings in the about tab...then deactivate...
make sure you have your license key..
I have the license key, but am not sure if I can get to the "deactivate" button or the "export settings" button.

Also, I only went with "basic" support when I purchased BlueIris. Am I able to install a newer version without running into the "Major Upgrade" wall? My current version is 4.3.9.4 x64

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the license key, but am not sure if I can get to the "deactivate" button or the "export settings" button.

Also, I only went with "basic" support when I purchased BlueIris. Am I able to install a newer version without running into the "Major Upgrade" wall? My current version is 4.3.9.4 x64
if your current version is 4.3.9.4 x64 then before uninstalling, i suggest you update its free...your version is almost two years old..
Blue Iris Updates

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman!

Yes, I know it's old, but I was quite happy with how it was running, and my past experience with software has taught me to not upgrade unless I ran into a problem or there was a new feature that I really wanted.

If for some reason I cannot get to the "export settings" button (I want to save those settings before trying the upgrade) is it just a registry file that I can copy and save as a backup?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman!

Yes, I know it's old, but I was quite happy with how it was running, and my past experience with software has taught me to not upgrade unless I ran into a problem or there was a new feature that I really wanted.

If for some reason I cannot get to the "export settings" button (I want to save those settings before trying the upgrade) is it just a registry file that I can copy and save as a backup?
its in the about tab