Road Rage Incident results in shooting death

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reaction score
Cant believe they said he acted lawfully shooting another person by approaching their car.
Not sure what you mean here. From what I understand is there was an accident and one guy had been drinking and got pissed off, grabbed a rifle from his car, pointed it at a bystander, and then pointed it through the window of the red car at the guy he had the accident with. The guy in the car fired four shots killing the guy who was pointing the rifle at him.

Anyone with a will to survive would have done the same thing.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Cant believe they said he acted lawfully shooting another person by approaching their car.
You need to re-read the story. The guy who got shot was the boozed up guy who approached the other car, pointed his rifle at an innocent bystander and then pointed it at the driver of the other car. It was the guy in the other car that shot Mr Rifleman.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Totally justified in my book.

As TeaLeaf Says, and as I read it, it's reported the Guy in the SUV crashed into the red car, (unclear if deliberate but possible as road rage and he was reportedly drunk), got out, pointed a rifle at a bystander as a threat to them, and then stuck the rifle through the car window of the guy he'd crashed into. What was said isn't reported but presumably the guy was in fear of his life having a rifle pointed into his face in combination with whatever was said to either him or the bystander, and so fired 1st in self defence.

I hate to say it Rahhazar but if you believe the other guy is going to shoot, it's too late if you wait until he's done it. With a .30-06 they'd have been fetching his brains off the far side of the highway, although calibre is irrelevent as the death from the 9mm handgun shows. He was probably very lucky the rifle was unloaded tbh to prevent a reflex pull of the trigger when the guy got hit, and if he genuinely felt the guy with the rifle was going to shoot, he did the right thing. In the UK the situation would have been different but we have laws that make very little sense over here. They're good at keep guns out of the hands of criminals but useless at protecting the innocent from assault .

Reaction score
In the UK the situation would have been different but we have laws that make very little sense over here.
Brits have a very different view of what is 'personal responsibility' and what is the government’s responsibility, or what is 'proper self-defense'. The English Bill of Rights (1689) was a 'right to arms guarantee' which has been castrated over the years, but was very influential to the framers of the US Bill Of Rights (The 2nd amendment giving every citizen the right to keep and bear arms). So way back when, there was not much difference in opinion.

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
.. but was very influential to the framers of the US Bill Of Rights (The 2nd amendment giving every citizen the right to keep and bear arms). So way back when, there was not much difference in opinion.
The second amendment does not GIVE us any right, it is there to protect an existing right we already had. It's a restriction on the government not a grant to the people.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@samplenhold
You need to re-read the story. The guy who got shot was the boozed up guy who approached the other car, pointed his rifle at an innocent bystander and then pointed it at the driver of the other car. It was the guy in the other car that shot Mr Rifleman.
yes you have a valid point, i miss read it.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, one more reason to get a Dash Cam to protect yourself. It is amazing this day and age with all the cameras on the new cars, that there is Not any Dash Cams built in. What do these so called auto designers/Managers think? I have Dash Cams on all my cars/truck.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Brits have a very different view of what is 'personal responsibility' and what is the government’s responsibility, or what is 'proper self-defense'. The English Bill of Rights (1689) was a 'right to arms guarantee' which has been castrated over the years, but was very influential to the framers of the US Bill Of Rights (The 2nd amendment giving every citizen the right to keep and bear arms). So way back when, there was not much difference in opinion.
It's not about assumption of responsibility at all. The UK population has always relied on the police for it's defence against crime. If you raise a hand against a burglar, chances are it's you going to prison, and they're going to successfully sue you for compensation. You cannot hit a criminal like you can in the US.

Brits are constantly bombarded by the Government and media with gun crime and how it could have been prevented if people had been prevented from owning guns. US citizens are portrayed as a bunch of gun loving psychopaths who can't understand that if they didn't have guns there wouldn't be gun crime, and a need to have guns to defend against it, all guns as portrayed as evil, every tradegy gets lots of coverage with the emphasis on how the lax US gun laws were to blame, they almost never report successful lawful use of firemarms for defence, genuine innocent sporting shooters in the UK always get blamed for any criminal incident and guns for the innocent made harder to get, and sporting shooters are made out of to be cruel pyschopaths who get enjoyment out of killing innocent animals / wildlife (not belying a need for pest control or wildlife balance) and are hated by the majority of the population. In my opinion, overall, the UK's Governments don't want their citizens holding firearms in any way shape or form, and engender a hatred towards guns, sporting owners and the US.

My personal take on it all, is the true path lies soemwhere between the US and UK position. In my opinion, the US has a lack of background checks (long guns), lax background checks (handguns) especially for mental health / previous violence, and inadequate security requirements - guns left in drawers, on bedsides etc. In my personal view these are the main issues that cause a lot of the US tragedies. Just my 2 cents though. The fact remains, in the UK there is no right to weapons for self defence and even punching a criminal can land you in a whole lot of trouble.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my opinion, the US has a lack of background checks (long guns), lax background checks (handguns) especially for mental health / previous violence, and inadequate security requirements - guns left in drawers, on bedsides etc.
That is your opinion and you have the right to have it, at least here in the USA you do.

But you are very incorrect.

There is no 'lack of background checks for long guns. All gun sales, other than personal transfers, require a background check.

Any deficiency in allowing those with mental health/previous violence issues is due to government bureaucracies not doing their jobs.

Every state has laws on the books requiring adequate security for storage of guns. Some idiots do not follow laws. Does everyone in the UK follow the laws?

I love the UK. Visited there a few times. Know lots of folks from there. Love the history, culture, music, and especially some of the TV shows.