rolling bands in image at night

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so, when the weather was warm, my night images were normal. now that the weather cooled, I was reviewing footage and I see these rolling bands vertically in the image. they roll left to right. camera is a 5442

I have no idea if it is temperature related, but I wanted to make it known. looking at day time images, it does not seem visible. This is in blue iris and also directly on the dahua

Edit : perhaps I figured out the cause. I recently added some up lights at the front of the house and it seems this coupled with a shutter speed of 1/500, results in the banding.

When I disable the illuminator, switch to color and drop the shutter to 1/100, the bands go away.

So while I don't totally get it, seems my issue was self inflicted and perhaps it is resolved now.

1607661811509.png

Last edited:

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
trying to switch modes etc. i saw color for a minute, then it went to this again. yuck

1607662517276.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it only happen when you have the new lights on? Is it frequency matching that of the lights that you installed (LED?)? You'll see similar effects in that case. Can also try changing the cam to run from 60Hz to 50Hz (or vice versa) and see if that changes things. If so, then that's what it is.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
POE or DC (bad) input?
If DC, is it really stabilized ? not a old (heavy) transformer without stabilizing circuit.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The light output from LED lights isn't totally constant - it fluctuates at twice mains frequency.
The human eye does not notice that.
So when you are sampling an LED-illuminated image with a camera that's using a framerate that 'beats' with that frequency, the result is illumination that varies across the frame, with what look like bands of varying brightness that will roll or be static depending on the relative frequencies.

You'll see the most variation of the interaction if you change the framerate as opposed to the exposure time.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The light output from LED lights isn't totally constant - it fluctuates at twice mains frequency.
Just out of curiosity I tested the LED lights in the room where I'm sitting.
The illumination doesn't vary a lot - just about 8% (0.5 of a division in 6.5, with zero light at the bottom of the screen) at a 100Hz frequency, 50Hz mains.
PC110302.JPG

But even that is enough to create noticeable banding that's visible on a uniform surface.
The framerate was set at a low 10fps to give multiple bands on the captured image.

Screenshot from 2020-12-11 17-02-42.png

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does it only happen when you have the new lights on? Is it frequency matching that of the lights that you installed (LED?)? You'll see similar effects in that case. Can also try changing the cam to run from 60Hz to 50Hz (or vice versa) and see if that changes things. If so, then that's what it is.
seems to only happen when I have shutter priority at 1/500. As I played with it and the settings, when I got to 1/100 I no longer see them.

Also, I do not see them on the daytime image

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The human eye does not notice that.
So when you are sampling an LED-illuminated image with a camera that's using a framerate that 'beats' with that frequency, the result is illumination that varies across the frame, with what look like bands of varying brightness that will roll or be static depending on the relative frequencies.

You'll see the most variation of the interaction if you change the framerate as opposed to the exposure time.
that would explain why as I lower? (1/500 to 1/100) the bands seem to go away

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It would appear that 1/500 is some multiple, beat frequency, of the light source. What is the source of the ambient light in the scene?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that would explain why as I lower? (1/500 to 1/100) the bands seem to go away
If that's the cure, try using custom range on the shutter. 1/500 is 2ms. Set it to 1.9ms, or 2.1ms and see if that's enough to remove the bands.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It would appear that 1/500 is some multiple, beat frequency, of the light source. What is the source of the ambient light in the scene?
in this case it is just night time. there are the up lights on the house (LED) and some street lights

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We know LEDs are actually switching at either 60 or 120 Hz. The same is true of street lights but I suspect they all switch at 60 Hz. That would mean any multiple, even a close multiple, would have that banding/flicker effect.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its POE then its a "clean" powersource so its influenced of other things.
If you somehow increase your lightning and switch to longer exposure then you solve the problem as you already tested.

If you dont wan't to be seen of the illuminator, use 940nm IR light that is not visible to the human eye.
There is some redlight component of the 850nm, seen as a glow effect.
And be aware of that 940 is less efficient than 850, both by emission and sensisitivity of the sensor.

See the tests of IR illuminators that's in the forum of Accessories, very informative !
Never trust the sellers !
The only reliable could be Tendelux, I have none but the next one will be.

Brgd TheSwede

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Set the anti-flicker to whatever the power frequency is in you country (60 Hz in US). This tries to sync the shutter to the light flicker described above. It may help to set the camera to Even fraction of 60 Hz. I found the worst flicker was caused when I had wide dynamic range enabled.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I get the same issue with my LPR camera at night. There is a street lamp located near where my LPR is located. I chaulked those rolling bands up as some type of framerate/light flicker issue. I just ignore it. Mine are much slower however that what @samplenhold just showed.