Roof Installation of a Dahua SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some anti critter protection, glued on with RTV silicone. Piece of CPVC pipe holding cable down, so drip loop will be maintained.

20170324_133253.jpg

Trial positioning of tripod.
20170324_114933.jpg

Ready to check plumb of pole.
20170324_115313.jpg

Cam Mounted.
20170324_134932.jpg

Junction Box placement.
20170324_135640.jpg

Ready for cable to be pulled to location.
20170324_164413.jpg

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would put a little bit more silicone or sealer where you have the lags closest to the point of the roof. Looks good! Are you running shielded ethernet to make use of that ground?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would put a little bit more silicone or sealer where you have the lags closest to the point of the roof. Looks good! Are you running shielded ethernet to make use of that ground?
Running #12 ground wire from the garage along with power, alarm cable, will tie into that ground wire and the camera's ground wire.
Using shielded ethernet.

I discovered in testing that the cameras ground doesn't make a circuit back to the pole. So I added that to ground the pole.
In other words, camera mounted on pole. Ohm meter lead on pole then on camera's ground wire, open circuit. Place lead on camera's ground wire, then on screw that holds cam into bracket, circuit closed. Paint or some such interfering.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, plan changed after metal pole was obtained.
I can dig it, and honestly, PVC pipe is pretty damn strong I'll bet I could just use a similar diameter PVC pipe and it would handle the weight just fine and be easy to drill into if I wanted to.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can dig it, and honestly, PVC pipe is pretty damn strong I'll bet I could just use a similar diameter PVC pipe and it would handle the weight just fine and be easy to drill into if I wanted to.
I think you'd find some sway to the cam, especially when zoomed. The pvc will bend over time from the cam weight.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you please clarify where you are referring to?
20170324_164413.jpg
The area in red is where i would focus a little bit of silicone. If it was my house and it rained more then a inch a year, i would worry about standing water there. I also silicone under and over my bolts unless they are stainless or have a really good zinc coating. That mastic style adhesive you have is probably fine, but I would do a little bit more so i could confidently walk away knowing no water will get in over time.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks to me like @looney2ns used either tar paper or little pieces of grace ice and water.
A little paint on the junction box and pvc pipe will help with longevity in the full sun you get up there.
Not sure what size pipe that is, but I'd recommend a real ground clamp like this: Blackburn Bronze Ground Clamp 1 1/4 - 2 in.-J2BB-B1-5 - The Home Depot
and not just tucking the wire under your pipe clamp (which are hopefully stainless steel).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wantafastz28 Good points, I Will do that. Thanks!

@tangent I used these pitch pads under the feet: Amazon.com: Pitch Pad 3 Pack Strip Sealing Tape TV Antenna Mount Weather Proof Tar 1" x 5" Inch Antenna Tri-Pod Pitch Pad Sealing Strip 1 Pack Tar Seal Proof Strips DSS: Home Audio & Theater I've used similar before and they worked well. Pipe 2 1/8" OD, I will get the appropriate clamp. Thanks!! Yes, straps are stainless.

Once I get the wiring done, the junction box will get a coat of white paint.

Thanks gents.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Man i hope you have classy neighbors cause where i live my god they would start neighbors wars because it. then again everything bothers my neighbors.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Man i hope you have classy neighbors cause where i live my god they would start neighbors wars because it. then again everything bothers my neighbors.
That's why you don't live in any place with an HOA, lol.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think neighbors getting pissy about cameras is exclusive to HOAs. lol