router for VPN

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found a great deal on an Asus RT-AC66U router. I realize this is older ASUS technology but is there any reason I could not use OpenVPN with this router to provide remote access to my Hikvision NVR? I have very simple needs for wireless capabilities at my house, and I'm not even sure I can use a VPN connection with my VOIP phone service. I mainly just want to use this router to learn VPN systems and to have as a backup to my current TP-Link router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use asus RT-AC66U router for for my home VPN system. Who is your internet provider ? What is your current MODEM ?

I have Comcast as my internet provider. The voice over IP interface into the modem, so the VOIP never reaches the router. The ARRIS modem is set to pass through / by pass.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ISP is local cable company Cablelynx. Modem is Arris. I have no idea if it will allow pass through of VOIP.

Are you using OpenVPN on your AC66U?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I run openvpn on my Asus router.

1)What is the model number of the Arris equipment ?
2)Does your Arris modem connect to a router or is the Arris the router ?
3)Is the VOIP provided by your internet provider ?
4)is the VOIP a special phone jack (rj11) in the Arris modem ?
5) If the VOIP is not part of the modem, how is it connected ?

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
OpenWrt is awesome. I run WireGuard on my Linksys 1200ac. I have no choice since my ISP is cgnat. But I run it into my Synology router as a second WAN (load balance/fall over). That way I can set what devices I want on the VPN via policy route, excluding Apple TV and services that don’t play nice with VPN’s. It works great and very stable. OpenVPN is too slow. Consider WireGuard if your provider supports it. I get total line speed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I run openvpn on my Asus router.

1)What is the model number of the Arris equipment ?
2)Does your Arris modem connect to a router or is the Arris the router ?
3)Is the VOIP provided by your internet provider ?
4)is the VOIP a special phone jack (rj11) in the Arris modem ?
5) If the VOIP is not part of the modem, how is it connected ?
1. Arris Surfboard SB6141
2. Arris modem connect to TP-Link router
3. VOIP is not supplied by ISP. It is MagicJack
4. MagicJack module connects to router via RJ45 then RJ11 to cordless phone

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1)does the magic jack connect between the router and the model ? Or does it plug into the router just like other devices like switches and PCs ?
2)Is the TPLINK router provided by the network company or do you own it ?

As you have only a modem not a modem/router it should be easy to set up the asus router

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The asus vpn with have zero effect on the magic jack

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also have an RT-AC66U and I was running Merlin's firmware on it with OpenVPN. Merlin stopped his support of this router last year, however, I discovered FreshTomato that is being actively developed. I installed this on my router and am running OpenVPN with no issues, so while this router may be old, it's lifespan has been extended.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also have an RT-AC66U and I was running Merlin's firmware on it with OpenVPN. Merlin stopped his support of this router last year, however, I discovered FreshTomato that is being actively developed. I installed this on my router and am running OpenVPN with no issues, so while this router may be old, it's lifespan has been extended.
Help me understand, what is the advantage of using Merlin or FreshTomato when the AC66U comes with the ability to run OpenVPN using the factory firmware?

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Help me understand, what is the advantage of using Merlin or FreshTomato when the AC66U comes with the ability to run OpenVPN using the factory firmware?
Using third party firmware gives you the option of additional functionality that is not available in the manufacturers firmware. Manufacturers "dumb" down the routers for home use. It's not just for OpenVPN. As an example, most home routers don't allow you to configure vlans. Using third party software you can have this option.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
OEM Firmware is rarely updated too. An actively developed third party firmware is definitely going to be better - more options and better security.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, sounds good. Is it as easy to work with for a guy like me that knows little to nothing about setting up a VPN? I know I've found lots of good info and how to's on working with the Asus factory firmware, but sometimes there is even more info on "open source" software.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had never used FreshTomato before. While the interface isn't all that modern, the menus were more or less self explanatory and I was able to configure OpenVPN without too much issue. Like the Asus firmware, FT lets you export the client configuration to a set of files which you can then copy over to whatever device you are using to connect to the vpn.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the ASUS software that came with the router. I had the ASUS OpenVPN up and running in less than 20 minutes. If you do not plan on using the other features then why waste your time setting it up. Just Keep it simple.

The most difficult thing for me was getting the Arris modem/router in passthru/bypass mode. This will not be a problem for you as you are using a standalone modem

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use the ASUS software that came with the router. I had the ASUS OpenVPN up and running in less than 20 minutes. If you do not plan on using the other features then why waste your time setting it up. Just Keep it simple.

The most difficult thing for me was getting the Arris modem/router in passthru/bypass mode. This will not be a problem for you as you are using a standalone modem
I think the Asus firmware may be my best bet initially. I have no doubt the 3rd party firmware offers more features, but they may be features I never need. Since it's going to be a challenge for me to set up a VPN I hate to introduce another variable into the equation right off the bat.

I really appreciate all the info and comments provided.

Reaction score
I think the Asus firmware may be my best bet initially.
"best" is a subjective word to use. You do get what you pay for with consumer grade networking equipment. You should make sure your Asus firmware is up to date otherwise it will be owned via heartbleed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"best" is a subjective word to use. You do get what you pay for with consumer grade networking equipment. You should make sure your Asus firmware is up to date otherwise it will be owned via heartbleed.
Asus firmware is actually very good and kept updated even for very old routers. They are the only consumer brand routers that I am aware of that patches routers after 6+ years. Here is an example of the n66u, which was released in 2014 and has a firmware patch available from 11/8/2019.