Router Issue

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying to set up my TIOC camera. I'm not experienced at networking. I have the unmanaged switch connected to the router and the cameras connected to the switch.

1. The switch doesn't show in the Router's Network Diagram, is this normal being unmanaged ie is it effectively a transparent device?

2. The camera doesn't show either which I find strange for a connected device, although hopefully when I fire up the BI trial (will be doing that later) it will show in BI. Again is this normal?

3. Finally, on the security side, I want to restrict internet access. Apart from the fact I can't see the swicth or camera in the Router's network map, I read that many use Parental Controls in the Router as a means fo blocking device access to the intenet. The Router I have from my ISP doesn't have them built in. Is this a problem or do I need a different router? The only control I can find for Network security is a MAC address control but thats for device access in not out and for approving not restricting.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. The switch doesn't show in the Router's Network Diagram, is this normal being unmanaged ie is it effectively a transparent device?
That's normal, won't appear in router
2. The camera doesn't show either which I find strange for a connected device, although hopefully when I fire up the BI trial (will be doing that later) it will show in BI. Again is this normal?
That's NOT normal, if the cam is good then either switch or cable has issue(s). Try another port and/or cable.
3. Finally, on the security side, I want to restrict internet access. Apart from the fact I can't see the swicth or camera in the Router's network map, I read that many use Parental Controls in the Router as a means fo blocking device access to the intenet. The Router I have from my ISP doesn't have them built in. Is this a problem or do I need a different router? The only control I can find for Network security is a MAC address control but thats for device access in not out and for approving not restricting.
There's other methods such as creating a VLAN, removing gateway access from cam setup, etc. If using BI, consider a router with built-in VPN. Sounds like your router is not very flexible / accommodating anyway.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It is possible that your camera is on a different subnet. For example your IP address range might be 192.168.w.x with the camera is on 192.168.y.z The keys being the "w" and "y" being different numbers.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera doesn't show either which I find strange for a connected device
So, a couple of dumb questions, for which apologies :
Is the unmanaged switch a PoE switch, if not, how are you powering the camera?
Does the Link Detect LED show on the switch when you connect the camera, and does the Activity light flash?
Have you tried to find the camera using the Dahua 'Config Tool' which I assume will support what is a very new model of camera?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am assuming that the TIOC (three in one camera)is a dahua camera. If it is a dahua camera the ip address is 192.168.1.108.

What is the internal local ip address of your router ?
What is the IP address of your PC ?

======================================
Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Note there is no reason to redact local ip addresses when posting.
=======================================

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't find it on my router but I've now downloaded the Dahua Toolbox and executed the config.exe tool. The camera appears to have intialised succesfully. In the firewall prompt I changed the permissions from the default of public networks to private local networks only. I also disabled the Cloud Registration and Auto Updates.

Local IP's:

Router. 192.168.1.1

PC. 192.168.1.2

I also have other devices using in the 192.168.1.1-8 range.

I presume it's ok to change the camera IP to anything outside of this eg 192.168.2.159

Where do I get the figures for Subnet mask and Gateway from?

Router is ISP Standard Router and has some features eg parental controls removed so they can sell their own add on service. It's not the most flexible of routers. The camera now shows as a "computer" in the routers network map.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't find it on my router but I've now downloaded the Dahua Toolbox and executed the config.exe tool. The camera appears to have intialised succesfully. In the firewall prompt I changed the permissions from the default of public networks to private local networks only. I also disabled the Cloud Registration and Auto Updates.

Local IP's:

Router. 192.168.1.1

PC. 192.168.1.2

I also have other devices using in the 192.168.1.1-8 range.

I presume it's ok to change the camera IP to anything outside of this eg 192.168.2.159
You should assign static IP's to your cameras in the same subnet as your router and PC is now, using IP's as follows:
Log into router and find out what the range of the router's DHCP pool is (the IP's it assigns to non-static IP devices); if the router's pool is 192.168.1.49 to 192.168.1.100, then use the IP's of 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 for your cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to keep it in the 192.168.1.x range for it to be accessible on your network. Ideally, you should set the DHCP range in your router, leaving some addresses not used. For example set the DHCP range to 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.200. This leave you with the addresses of 192.168.1.201 through 192.168.1.254 free to use for cameras by manually assigning those address to the cameras as they come on line.

Alternately, you should also be able to assign a specific to the camera, based on its MAC address, the xx:xx:xx:xx:xx number. Some ISP routers may not have this feature though.

I gotta get faster, TonyR posted as I finished the last line :facepalm:

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
OK I think I've been an idiot again. :(

I've changed the IP address to one with the DHCP Pool Range.

I filled in the subnet and Gateway from the details page shown previously for the camera.

I now have an orange triangle next to the the camera in the config tool page next to the mac address that when clicked on shows the original IP address ie 192.168.1.108, plus Operation Type: Modify IP, Operation Result: Password Error.

If I type the new IP into IE, it comes up page not found. If I type the old IP into IE, it wants me to download a viewing plugin.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
OK sorted that. Needed to use the search and enter the password and username after the search.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
At this point, you're probably best off manually resetting the camera back to factory default and starting over again. There should be a reset button under the cover plate where the SD card goes. Power the camera down, press the button and hold it for about 30 seconds after powering back up.

When you set up the network fields again -
Set the IP address to what you need it to be.
Set the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1
Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

I use "bogus" DNS entries to keep the camera from being able to communicate, easily, on the internet for security reasons. Also, disable "UpNP" for the same reason.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
OK all seems ok.

How do I stop it accessing the internet though? I've been through the settings in the config tool but can't find anything relating to internet access.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to block that in the router, not the camera. Most ISP routers will allow you to do that based on the IP or MAC address. Have a look around in the router config pages, maybe even try a right click of the listing for the camera in the list of connected devices will bring that up as a menu selection.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Struggling to find options. Bit of a basic router. This is the best option I can see, although I'm not sure what I'd put as the destination IP as it's the internet:

CCTV Firewall.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What brand and model of router? What you have there is for IPV6, not IPV4 and isn't really the place to block a camera from, usually.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah. It's about the only utlility I can find. The router is a Huawei HHG2500.

As I said, here's no parental controls. Port Management just allows you to allow specified devices to connect to your privatenetwork, the exact opposite of what I want to achieve.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1)who is your internet provider ?
2) Are you using the HHG2500 for home phone service ?
3) what type of internet service, cable, fiber, dsl ....?
4) what country are you in ?