Router-modem doesn't recognise our NVR anymore

Reaction score
The router-modem doesn't recognize the installed NVR.
We receive no camera images anymore, even not via the subnet LAN. I know the NVR MAC and it's default IP address.
Modem: 24*8 DOC Wireless (Docsis) with Eurodocsis 3.0 (of the internet provider)
NVR: Hikvision DS-7604NI-SE/N and 4 Hikvision dome cameras.
Used software: iVMS-4200 client (V2.8.2) on Windows 10 PC
The NVR is directly connected to the modem and seems to work good (status led, writing to disc etc.: OK). The green led lights on both end of the ethernet line connections are flashing.
The NVR doesn't appear with his MAC address in the connected apparatus list.
The problem started after the intervention of provider technician, to boost up the (too low, now 140Mb/s) internet speed. Provider: "We cannot help you".
I'm 71 y. and not a technician. Can somebody give me direction on how to solve the problem, please?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
The router-modem doesn't recognize the installed NVR.
We receive no camera images anymore, even not via the subnet LAN. I know the NVR MAC and it's default IP address.
Modem: 24*8 DOC Wireless (Docsis) with Eurodocsis 3.0 (of the internet provider)
NVR: Hikvision DS-7604NI-SE/N and 4 Hikvision dome cameras.
Used software: iVMS-4200 client (V2.8.2) on Windows 10 PC
The NVR is directly connected to the modem and seems to work good (status led, writing to disc etc.: OK). The green led lights on both end of the ethernet line connections are flashing.
The NVR doesn't appear with his MAC address in the connected apparatus list.
The problem started after the intervention of provider technician, to boost up the (too low, now 140Mb/s) internet speed. Provider: "We cannot help you".
I'm 71 y. and not a technician. Can somebody give me direction on how to solve the problem, please?
Hello fellow Belgian,
Telenet is not the user-friendliest in the world (but Proximuts is neither) :p
On-topic:
You say you know the MAC address and the default IP address - was that that IP address before the boost? If the IP range changed, you're indeed in trouble.
I give an example: maybe your previous modem gave out 192.168.1.x addresses in DHCP and you put 192.168.1.50 as IP address of the NVR, if now the subnet changed to 192.168.0.x, your "fixed" ip 192168.1.50 will never work anymore. Plus, all FIXED ip's do not show up in "mijn.telenet".

So my plan of attack would be:
1) login locally on your NVR (eg connect screen to it and mouse)
2) have a look at the currently active TCPIP stack (under network somewhere). Note down the IP address and gateway. For a "quick fix", you could try to turn on DHCP on your NVR, so you can actually change the range to the TN modem
3) for a long term fix: change/update the TCPIP stack

Good luck Ludo!
CC

Reaction score
Thank you fellow Belgian for the quick and clear answer.
I'm on my way to put up a screen and mouse on the NVR. I never did it before and try to find a solution.
In half an hour I know more.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you fellow Belgian for the quick and clear answer.
I'm on my way to put up a screen and mouse on the NVR. I never did it before and try to find a solution.
In half an hour I know more.
I'm betting you'll quickly see the solution on-screen of your NVR!

Good luck!
CC

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the sole reason I dislike the modem/router combination. My mother-in-law had something similar which also contained her acces point and every time a service tech came to call, everything stopped working on her network once he left. Then my phone would ring :)

I ultimately separate the modem/router combo - purchased her a separate wifi router/Access Point and disabled the "router/wi-fi" section of the cable modem and have not had any issues since. For her cable Internet, it's either the cable modem is up, or it isn't. If the cable tech comes back, he's only got to worry about the modem and nothing else.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the sole reason I dislike the modem/router combination. My mother-in-law had something similar which also contained her acces point and every time a service tech came to call, everything stopped working on her network once he left. Then my phone would ring :)

I ultimately separate the modem/router combo - purchased her a separate wifi router/Access Point and disabled the "router/wi-fi" section of the cable modem and have not had any issues since. For her cable Internet, it's either the cable modem is up, or it isn't. If the cable tech comes back, he's only got to worry about the modem and nothing else.
And they just LOVE to push the reset button, clearing all your configurations, etc.

Reaction score
I had to find the right VGA cable for the monitor. I went (for the 1st time) directly into the NVR and found that the cameras & NVR are working well.
The settings:
1/ the actual IP address of the modem/router as IPV4 address
2/ also the IPv4 standard gateway (192.168.0.1)
3/ the internal IPv4 NIC (192.168.254.1)
4/ the (right) MAC address of the NVR
Are the IPv6 addresses important?
How can I make my modem/router find the NVR?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I went for the 1st time directly into the NVR and found that the camera's & NVR are working well.
The settings:
1/ the exact IP address of the modem/router is mentioned
2/ the IPv4 standard gateway (192.168.0.1)
3/ the (right) MAC address of the NVR
How can I make my modem/router find the NVR?
Greetings, Ludo!

Can you tell us the IP addresses of 1/ and 2/ above? As stated previously, if they are in different sub-nets, they will not be visible to each other.

Reaction score
Greetings, Ludo!

Can you tell us the IP addresses of 1/ and 2/ above? As stated previously, if they are in different sub-nets, they will not be visible to each other.
The IPv4 mentioned on the NVR are:
1/ my external IP address (deleted)
2/ standard gateway 192.168.0.1
¨When I look (via ipconfig) to the "Ethernet adapter" (Telenet) the default gateway is also 192.168.01
The IPv4 address on the Ethernet adapter is 192.168.0.134

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, so your Modem/Router's LAN address is 192.168.0.1 and your NVR's LAN address is 192.168.0.134. If their netmasks are 255.255.255.0, they SHOULD be able to communicate with each other. FYI, please remove your external IP / WAN address from your post!

Reaction score
Okay, so your Modem/Router's LAN address is 192.168.0.1 and your NVR's LAN address is 192.168.0.134. If their netmasks are 255.255.255.0, they SHOULD be able to communicate with each other. FYI, please remove your external IP / WAN address from your post!
Thank very much helping hand from Charlotte. Yes, they have the same netmask.
I closed down the modem/router for 3 minutes (crossing my fingers) but no, the NVR is not recognized yet.
In the iVMS-4200 "device management", there is still no "online device".
I added manually the device with 192.168.0.134 > net status zero

Reaction score
I wish I could help more. Just let me say, I worked for a Belgian company for three years, and visited your beautiful country on two occasions. I sincerely miss your fine beer and even finer chocolates!!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
From the Windows 10 PC you mention above, can you ping the IP address of the NVR?

Reaction score
I wish I could help more. Just let me say, I worked for a Belgian company for three years, and visited your beautiful country on two occasions. I sincerely miss your fine beer and even finer chocolates!!
Very nice words from you. We live near Antwerp (left bank, Burcht). I was several times in the USA, once in North Carolina, beautiful State. Thank you for the good advice.

Reaction score
From the Windows 10 PC you mention above, can you ping the IP address of the NVR?
Hi again, yes :
Ludo>ping 192.168.0.134
Pinging 192.168.0.134 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.134: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.134:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score

<off-topic/rant mode>
You are absolutely right, especially in this case (Belgian ex-monopolist on coax cable), 99% of the "home"users are forced on these combo-wifi-super-internet stuff. Not only does the ISP ent "free wifi" (for all other customers who are in your neighborhood to join "your" network - although separated, they can congest your router, especially in cities/dense neighborhoods), they also know EVERYTHING you do on your wifi (eg they know exactly when you leave home (for work/school/whatever), when you are back, which IOT devices you use etc etc). Especially in the light of GDPR and more specifically "non-consent opt-in", you can "force" them to deliver an EMTA (modem-only). Normally this is for fixed-IP (the "professional" customer who pays twice the monthly price), because you'd need your own router/wifi/firewall. You might think that that is great news, but nothing but sad news: with the modem-only you loose IPTV (digital TV)... So you win some, you loose some.

Back on-topic!
@Ludo Van der Stock: the good news: your pc does see the NVR! That's good!

You wrote: "I added manually the device with 192.168.0.134 > net status zero" --> where did you put that information? In "mijn.telenet" or on the NVR?

Groetjes aan't stad! :)
CC

Reaction score
Yes, it's a pain in the ... but we have to cope with it. Fighting doesn't help.
Our camera etc. technician is on leave ... I'm learning while doing and trying to resolve the problem this WE. When I fail, it isn't a disaster.

I made a beginners mistake: the IPv4 192.168.0.134 belongs to my desktop PC not to the modem.
The (former) IP of the NVR 192.168.0.100. Ping via PC (above): Destination host unreachable. Tracert: idem.
Can I assign a new IPv4 address to my NVR? ex. 192.168.0.200? Before the "crash" technician it was 192.168.0.100
I try to add the NVR in de iVMS-4200 app.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it's a pain in the ... but we have to cope with it. Fighting doesn't help.
Our camera etc. technician is on leave ... I'm learning while doing and trying to resolve the problem this WE. When I fail, it isn't a disaster.

I made a beginners mistake: the IPv4 192.168.0.134 belongs to my desktop PC not to the modem.
The (former) IP of the NVR 192.168.0.100. Ping via PC (above): Destination host unreachable. Tracert: idem.
Can I assign a new IPv4 address to my NVR? ex. 192.168.0.200? Before the "crash" technician it was 192.168.0.100
I try to add the NVR in de iVMS-4200 app.
OK, so what happens if you ping (from the .134) the old addresses (.200 & .100) ? Does one of them respond?
In your post (#8 above), where you mentionned the .134 as ip of the NVR (which is wrong), what address do you see through the VGA monitor?

Unless we know that value, we are "guestimating". The good news is, you only have 254 "possibilities", except if it's located in another subnet :p