Router password

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My internet comes through fiber optic into a router supplied by internet provider. The password has been reset by the installer. I have another new router. Any advice. Thanks

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a similar situation,
My internet and telephone come in through cable modem, which is itself has a router. My IoT stuff, like TVs connect to that.
I have my home network on another router which passes through the ISP provided one. Thus creating a "double hop".
This might minimally slow down things, but it allows me to firewall my personal router, and firewall the ISP router.
Not sure if that adds a layer of protection to my "hidden" home network, but my IoT devices are not on my home network.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DOUBLE NAT Could cause some issues, check the link.
Thank you for that link.
I reviewed the information. The double NAT is exactly what my set up looks like.
I have not experienced any problems with this set up. But I can see it has potential to cause problems.

However, I do not yet have any VPN tunneling, nor port forwarding set up.
My family plays online gaming without apparent problems. We have not experienced difficulty with SSL sites.

I could bridge the ISPs Modem/Router.
I believe I saw an option in the ISPs router interface which is available to me.

My personal network router is a bit old and lacks some options. Netgear WNDR3700v3
I have been looking into getting an Asus router which has more security options and built in VPN.
But wow, routers have become expensive.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My internet comes through fiber optic into a router supplied by internet provider. The password has been reset by the installer. I have another new router. Any advice. Thanks
Call the service provider, explain you want to use your own router due to VPN needs and only want to use the supplied device for “modem” access only. Ask for password.

Often installers also write passwords on customer installation forms. Check the papers given at the time of install.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Here in the Northeast, Spectrum bought out Time Warner and a LOT of people traded in their gear for NEW spectrum stuff, the passwords are on the cablemodem/router. They have kept me real busy coming in behind them tying up loose ends.

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I called today. Knowing nobody would answer. So I found my phone charger and gave them a call on speaker phone. Waited about 15 minutes. Then decided I will just drive to there location while on hold. About a 10 minute drive per Google. Almost get there. And somebody picks up. It's a phone answering servive. She knows less than me. But does suggest resetting router. Will that work? So I get to the location of business. It a farmers field. I drove around the field for about 20 minutes trying to find a house. No house. Go to nearest house. He actually knows where the owner of this fly by night backs woods internet guy lives. I go to his mansion. Porsche,Cadillac, monster truck etc. Wife answer door in robe. She was totally pissed I showed up. Anyways I gave her my number. She said someone would call right away. Been a few hrs and nothing. Just had to share. Thanks.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I called today. Knowing nobody would answer. So I found my phone charger and gave them a call on speaker phone. Waited about 15 minutes. Then decided I will just drive to there location while on hold. About a 10 minute drive per Google. Almost get there. And somebody picks up. It's a phone answering servive. She knows less than me. But does suggest resetting router. Will that work? So I get to the location of business. It a farmers field. I drove around the field for about 20 minutes trying to find a house. No house. Go to nearest house. He actually knows where the owner of this fly by night backs woods internet guy lives. I go to his mansion. Porsche,Cadillac, monster truck etc. Wife answer door in robe. She was totally pissed I showed up. Anyways I gave her my number. She said someone would call right away. Been a few hrs and nothing. Just had to share. Thanks.
i dont understand why you need the installer...reset it and move on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The installer called today. He said do not reset. He said he could make adjustments remotely and ask what I wanted done. I was not sure so I gave his number to my computer guy. I sent my computer guy this How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk. Hope they can work it out. He would not give me password. Thanks
what password is he not giving you? if its to the router then you dont need him. reset it and set your own password.

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not sure. He said if I reset this unit. I would not have internet. (Scare tactic) And that he would not give password to me for security reasons. I want to do as you said. my computer guy suggested trying to get it going with my router? Huge thanks.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure. He said if I reset this unit. I would not have internet. (Scare tactic) And that he would not give password to me for security reasons. I want to do as you said. my computer guy suggested trying to get it going with my router? Huge thanks.
He works for you... You need to use someone else

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well the internet provider is the only game around. I live rural. It cost a ton to have them run fiber optic to my house. I am stuck with them. My computer guy will do whatever I say. I have direct TV now through the internet. If I reset that router and the TV is out my wife will flip. I do not wanna be without internet. Will update after computer guy shows up. Huge thanks. (( could have used them today)) frickidy frac.)) Backed over barbie. Jammed it back into drive and friggin hit my interior garage wall. So steamed. Lol. Update called IT company they said prob 450 to 900 to get it going. My buddy the computer guy is gonna come over tomarrow. See what we figure out. I will pay him too.

Last edited: