Router questions and what is this hardware?

camcamdance

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey,

I have some questions, thank you for your help on my other post.

A) I found this in the garage, I think the IP cameras which are outside the garage, connect to this through the white wires and then the green wire goes to the NVR or the ISP router I need to check :)

What is it? Can I add another compatible camera just by running a Cat 5 wire from the camera to one of the ports at the back of this device?

If so, I can place that camera in the garage :)

B) I bought this at Walmart a week ago, so I can still return it. The ISP technician at my parents house said that they should get another router, preferably an AC one?

Right now the load on the ISP provided router is like 90% because the cameras are connected to an NVR and then the NVR is connected to the ISP router.

Is this any good? or should I go for this one as it is on sale for $130

LINKSYS EA8500 MAX-STREAM™ AC2600 MU-MIMO SMART WI-FI ROUTER

Linksys EA8500 Max-Stream™ AC2600 MU-MIMO Smart Wi-Fi Router

Or I can just get another one :)

@nayr @drew91101 @Kawboy12R @Ryan00

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats a PoE+ Switch like it says, its a normal switch that can power PoE+ devices also.. plug some more cameras into it, thats what its for

You should be buying an AC Router at this point, most people's internet is getting faster than there wifi.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup that's a power over ethernet switch also the first linksys router is out dated. I honestly wouldn't run your cameras on the same network as your other things like computers,iPads,phones,ect but you can do it easily. I would go for a better router specially if you have any cameras a plus 200 dollar router is kinda the normal spending price these days.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also linksys used to have great routers 6 years ago and they were the only router Cisco certified but I'm really not a fan of linksys anymore haven't brought their stuff in years. Just my option!

camcamdance

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Ryan00 @nayr

what does a POE switch do? is it like an extended?

So if I plug in the additional camera to the Poe Switch, hopefully it should detect it?

By the way, I have loose cat 5 wire, and the clips, but not a ready wire to connect to the camera. Should I just buy one from the big box store, or is it easy to crimp the wire, I have the wire, the clips, but no crimping tool

ts a normal switch that can power PoE+ devices also.. plug some more cameras into it, thats what its for

Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Poe switch is mostly used for security cameras because a poe switch can do power and data on one cat5/6 cable

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE = Power Over Ethernet, it provides both a data/network link and power for the device its self.. this way you have a single cable you need to run to the camera instead of two.. a normal network switch would not provide power to a PoE device on the other end and would require another power cable going to a nearby outlet.

If its 802.3at/af PoE Capable Camera, you'll plug it in and it'll get power and startup.. you'll probably have to configure the camera to get on your network, docs should cover this or we can help.

You can proabibly get one of these really nice ratcheting crimpers off amazon for cheaper than the junk at your local hardware store: Klein Tools VDV226-107 Compact Ratcheting Modular Crimper - - Amazon.com

Look at an Asus AC WiFi router, they have a VPN Server thats easy to setup so you can access cameras securely while away.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is some routers that will work well for you. Now Netgear recently had a really bad software bug with these but they fixed the problem and it's alll good now. Just make sure you update ANY router after you set it up!

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support: Computers & Accessories

NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 4x4 MU-MIMO Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Gaming Router (R7800-100NAS) Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 4x4 MU-MIMO Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Gaming Router (R7800-100NAS): Computers & Accessories

TP-Link 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4-PoE Ports (TL-SF1008P) Amazon.com: TP-Link 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4-PoE Ports (TL-SF1008P): Electronics

Agree with nayr asus makes some of the best routers

ASUS RT-AC3200 Wireless-AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security Amazon.com: ASUS RT-AC3200 Wireless-AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security: Computers & Accessories

I know all these router can handle 8 cameras plus prob a lot more like computer phones ect...

camcamdance

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I heard asus is good too...so which asus should I get $200-$300 range?

thanks for the info on the PoE switch. So that green wire in the PoE switch then goes to the NVR, is that right?

and why a $30 crimping tool and not a $10 one :) :)

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the $100-$200 range should be adequate, dont need the uber ones..

probably, or somewhere else on the network.. they can be used as normal switches and wont fry a non-poe device.. switches can be branched off each-other as long as they dont loop back.

because vast majority of issues turn out to be cabling related, using a cheap crimper is perfectly fine but not very noob friendly and without knowing what your doing or what to look for the likely hood of issues goes up dramatically.. more than likely your LHS will try to sell you a cheap $10 crimper for $25, because thats what box stores do to keep a parking lot and clerks.

Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I heard asus is good too...so which asus should I get $200-$300 range?

thanks for the info on the PoE switch. So that green wire in the PoE switch then goes to the NVR, is that right?

and why a $30 crimping tool and not a $10 one :) :)

xx
Jez
Never buy cheap tools lol to me 30 is cheap.... 10 is crazy talk

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I will order that crimping tool :)

Now I just need to find a Asus router :)
Asus makes great routers so does Netgear these are home grade routers but that's all you need stay in the 200+ price range don't go cheap on a router if you wanna run cameras,computer,phones ect... and remember to update everything routers,computer ect...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have same one, but mine's not fake.. shrug, make sure its fulfilled by amazon and if its not real then its no hassle.

camcamdance

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr @Ryan00 thanks, I will order that crimper. it says sold by KTOOLCONNECTION and fulfilled by amazon.

which cat5/6 wire is good for indoor? i already found a link for some outdoor wire :)

xx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@nayr @Ryan00 thanks, I will order that crimper. it says sold by KTOOLCONNECTION and fulfilled by amazon.

which cat5/6 wire is good for indoor? i already found a link for some outdoor wire :)

xx
If you buy cable you MUST buy from a reliable source/brand...ensure its not copper clad aluminum/CCA garbage...the cheap price is enticing buy you WILL have issues.
Sold by a third party and fulfilled by amazon is the same as buying from that third party not amazon...they simply send it to amazon to warehouse and amazon ships it..not a good idea...

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score