Router recommendations

ptrotary

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on what you have tried and found to work, here is what I am looking to do:

Setup
We have a property overseas that has an alarm system and cameras, both which are setup where we can remote in to either system. This is done using port forwarding (bad, I know).
This home has a basic ISP router, very limited and slow. Its also unreliable as we frequently have to ask a family member to go over and reset it when we are unable to login to either system.
Very limited configurations are allowed, and definitely no vpn server capabilities.

Goal
I have been reading a lot about the risks of having ports forwarded to these systems.
I want a router with a vpn server that I can setup to login to my alarm system and camera, and other devices in the future.
Due to the property being overseas (Europe) I am looking for a reliable product.
I hear great things about Asus, but recently came across the Synology router. This seems more robust and leaning towards a more business class router, which I assume would result in a better overall experience.
I am looking to spend around $200 for a reliable router. Range and speed are also important, as the home is a fairly large 2 story home (main floor and basement underground). This is a European home so all walls are made of cinder blocks. I don't mind using an old linksys router I have laying around as an extra access point, so my main concern is reliability and security.

Any ideas or recommendations?

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on what you have tried and found to work, here is what I am looking to do:

Setup
We have a property overseas that has an alarm system and cameras, both which are setup where we can remote in to either system. This is done using port forwarding (bad, I know).
This home has a basic ISP router, very limited and slow. Its also unreliable as we frequently have to ask a family member to go over and reset it when we are unable to login to either system.
Very limited configurations are allowed, and definitely no vpn server capabilities.

Goal
I have been reading a lot about the risks of having ports forwarded to these systems.
I want a router with a vpn server that I can setup to login to my alarm system and camera, and other devices in the future.
Due to the property being overseas (Europe) I am looking for a reliable product.
I hear great things about Asus, but recently came across the Synology router. This seems more robust and leaning towards a more business class router, which I assume would result in a better overall experience.
I am looking to spend around $200 for a reliable router. Range and speed are also important, as the home is a fairly large 2 story home (main floor and basement underground). This is a European home so all walls are made of cinder blocks. I don't mind using an old linksys router I have laying around as an extra access point, so my main concern is reliability and security.

Any ideas or recommendations?
I run a Ubiquiti UniFi setup at my place. I am extremely happy, for ditching consumer product, and run a “higher” end / enterprise system. My first unifi product was a managed POE switched (after reading this forum), and from there I was in love an bought a security gateway pro (router) and a wireless AP.
I have now helped installing 3 complete system in my family, and it work flawlessly.

Note that the learning curve might be steep.

Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® Security Gateway

Check out their demo site: UniFi