RS232 to UART (?) Cable

B@rry

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Need to access the 'boot screen' to resolve a failed firmware upgrade for my DS-2CD2132F-IS Dome Camera. I've reached out to Hikvision support and they eventually provided a photo of the cable in question (see attached). They advised that I would have to purchase one from a UK re-seller or distributor. However, unless I'm an installer the later don't want to help.

Questions:

- Do you know the name of the molex type adapter/pin out on the opposite end of the RS232? The best I can come up with is a UART type connection?
- Where can I buy one of these.

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

benetton73

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

B@rry

n3wb
Reaction score
after researching on this forum, can just order a PL2303HX USB To TTL To UART RS232 COM Cable Module Converter
and Micro JST ZH 1.55mm 4 Pin Female connector

here are some links

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Micro-JST-ZH-1-5mm-Pitch-4-Pin-Female-connector-with-wire-and-Male-PCB-connector/1664241613.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.64.nWF0We

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00F167PWE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi benetton73,

Many thanks for your swift response. Having also found similar articles on this forum I recently purchased the above. Unfortunately, these were no good. The TTL 4 pin connectors were far too big and the molex adapter not compatible. Hence why I reached out to Hikvision support. I'm specifically after the RS232 cable in the photo. Pretty sure I've exhausted all other options, just hoping I can source this from somewhere.

Thanks

B@rry.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In my view and experience, the items specified by @bennetton73 are exactly correct.
It's hard to see how the 4-pin 1.5mm pitch connector is far too big.
Hikvision are consistent with the connector type across IP cameras and NVRs.

I'm specifically after the RS232 cable in the photo.
That's such an oddball arrangement - classic RS232 to TTL serial?
A USB to TTL serial is so much better.

B@rry

n3wb
Reaction score
In my view and experience, the items specified by @bennetton73 are exactly correct.
It's hard to see how the 4-pin 1.5mm pitch connector is far too big.
Hikvision are consistent with the connector type across IP cameras and NVRs.

That's such an oddball arrangement - classic RS232 to TTL serial?
A USB to TTL serial is so much better.
Thanks @alastairstevenson. I've attached a photo of the TTL and UART connectors beside one another for reference. However, it sounds as though I've managed to source the wrong part. The colour of the cables even seems to be different...D'oh!! If I didn't use the exact links above for ordering first time around, I'll make sure I do this time :cool:

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think what you are showing there are the wire pigtails from the USB to TTL serial convertor.
You need another piece to the puzzle.
They don't actually go on to the on-board connector - they need to join up to the wires that come from the 4-pin JST female connector that plugs into the male connector on the board.
Now I can see why you though they were too big!

*edit*
Check out the picture in this first post : https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6356-Manual-Create-console-serial-access-to-Hikvision-DS-2CD2032F-I?p=56118&viewfull=1#post56118
There is a join between the wires of the TTL serial connector and the connector that goes to the board.
But - ignore the link in that post to the connector, I don't believe it's correct at 1.25mm.