RTMP Push to Blue Iris? (DJI drone)

weather42

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to setup BI to accept a "push" feed from an RTMP source? E.g. setup a rtmp:// URL at the BI server and it will wait for a connection from a source sending video. (Not BI going out to a specific IP and pulling down video).

The use case is a DJI drone. Their app supports RTMP feeds to send the drone's video to a server. For example, you can put in a YouTube Live rtmp:// URL into their app and send your video to YouTube. I'd like to be able to do that with a BI server on the same network and treat it like a camera.

I am using BI 4.8, but I'd upgrade to 5 if support was only in 5 for such a feature.

Thanks

weather42

n3wb
Reaction score
No, that's not it. That's still looking to reach out to an IP to pull video as far as I can tell. This is would be the other way around.
For example, the drone app would send video to rtmp://BIserverIP/Stream1 and the BI server would be listening for connections on Stream1.

If BI doesn't do it natively, maybe I can put an RTMP server in the middle as a relay...send the video to it and have BI pulling video from that relay (which would look like a regular IP camera stream to BI).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried it? (I haven't, and don't know enough about how it works to be sure of anything)

You are right, if you can find an RTMP server to relay the video stream then that should work just as well with hopefully minimal additional delay.

datoast

n3wb
Reaction score
Were you able to get RTMP working? I have a similar problem. I am trying to get the GoPro Hero7 RTMP stream working with BI 5. The GoPro is able to stream RTMP directly to facebook and twitch using URLs that look like this:
rtmp://live-iad.twitch.tv/app/live_XXXXXX_XXXXXXX. I've attached what I have tried below.
IMG_3759.JPGIMG_791C3D84DA87-1.jpeg

weather42

n3wb
Reaction score
An update...I've been trying different things. Here is what I have:
There was no connection with just setting up BI as RTMP and trying to feed to that address (as expected). However, I did download a server called nginx. I found some instructions and where to find a Windows compiled copy that had RTMP built in. I was able to set it up as a relay, and send the video from my drone into the nginx and then point BI at the same address and get the feed. HOWEVER, all is not well. I am getting green bars through the image that flicker and move. I'm assuming some kind of resolution or frame rate issue. I have tried fooling with every setting I can find in BI's camera setup and no change. I am getting the frame rate exclamation point and I notice that in the DJI app, the displayed frame rate is all over the place (30, 70, 8, etc). Maybe BI can't handle that?
If I point VLC player at the same nginx stream, the video is fine...so it's something that BI doesn't like in the stream.

@datoast: I think you need to do the same thing I am doing, put a server relay in the middle like nginx and then point both the GoPro and BI at that relay.