RTSP Authentication issues for live stream.

Mattycee

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchases 10 Hikvision cameras for my new house that is being built and I am currently just testing them to make sure it all works properly. I am toying with the idea of adding Cloud storage to the cameras via a company called Mangocam and this is where I am having issues. I cannot get a live view of my cameras at all and I am not sure what the deal is.

My equipment is as follows:-
Hikvision N7616NI-I2/16P NVR
Hikvision DS-2CD22542FWD-IS Camera
Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I Camera
Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS Camera

I currently have only 2 of the above cameras connected as I am just testing.
All ports are open and as confirmed with the websites Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router and Open Port Check Tool

It allows me to add the camera to the Cloud storage website and when I go to live view it never shows an image and I think it has been narrowed down to a RTSP authentication error, does the camera have a different RTSP Username/Password to the log in details. I have changed the log in details from the standard and I am able to connect to the cameras when I hook my PC up to the NVR. (The IP range of the cameras is 192.168.254.XX and my local IP range is 192.168.1.XX)

I have tried loads of troubleshooting and have even turned off authentication on the cameras and that has made no difference at all and I am not sure what to try next. I have tried to load the stream in VLC as well and it asks me for a username/password and will not accept my details or even the default ones.

I can use the Hik-connect service as it keeps the videos for a week and I am leaning towards just doing that, but it frustrates me that I cannot get it to work as it is supposed to.

Any one here have any other pointers?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I work in the cloud; therefore I know better than to ever attempt to use a cloud based video surveillance system..

Mattycee

n3wb
Reaction score
I work in the cloud; therefore I know better than to ever attempt to use a cloud based video surveillance system..
Can you elaborate on that? Surely having cloud storage back up with local recording is better than no cloud storage at all, if someone steals the NVR they have the footage of them, with cloud storage as a back up, wouldn't that be a better option?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nope, either use cameras with local SD cards that are recording redundantly; or throw a 2nd NVR on the network in a more discrete location.

your opening ports to the whole internet and transmitting video unencrypted to a 3rd party whom may be compromised them selves all while consuming massive amounts of internet throughput.. Id rather risk the tiny chance someone will steal my NVR, that attack surface is much smaller and I have alot more controll over.. if someone steals my NVR i will know, if someone hacks your cloud you may not.

unless your facing financial penalties reaching past 5 figures for compliance reasons; there is really no valid reason for offsite storage requirements.

Mattycee

n3wb
Reaction score
your opening ports to the whole internet and transmitting video unencrypted to a 3rd party whom may be compromised them selves all while consuming massive amounts of internet throughput.. Id rather risk the tiny chance someone will steal my NVR, that attack surface is much smaller and I have alot more controll over.. if someone steals my NVR i will know, if someone hacks your cloud you may not.
I guess that makes a lot of sense. I will just keep it locally and lock the NVR away somewhere inconspicuous. Thanks for the help as it has given me clarity. I am a home user who (*Touch wood) has never been broken into, so I may be getting caught up for no good reason at all.