RTSP streaming with VLC

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to be able to view my Hikvision 2032 with VLC using an RTSP url but not having any luck (everything I try fails).
I've gotten it to work with other cameras using VLC in the past so in theory I know I'm doing the right thing. Just can't get the Hikvision going.
Can anyone help me with what the proper URL should be to do this and is there any reason it shouldn't work for me?

I've found some URL suggestions online but none of them seem to work.
Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Query the camera (or any ONVIF compliant camera) with 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
A really handy Windows tool that fills the gaps the user manuals don't cover ...
Such as (insert your own IP address)
rtsp://192.168.1.63:554/Streaming/Channels/1?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
The basic rtsp://x.x.x.x:rtspport is actually working for me in VLC now. Phew. I figured out what I was doing wrong all along though. I was using the wrong rtsp port. Forgot that I had changed it from the default 554 to something else - doh!
By the way, the following URL's I found online also seem to work fine:
rtsp://IPADDRESS:rtspport//Streaming/Channels/1
rtsp://IPADDRESS:rtspport//Streaming/Channels/2
rtsp://IPADDRESS:rtspport/live
rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=[CHANNEL]&subtype=1

I also downloaded ONVIF Device Manger. It immediately recognizes my camera on my network and once I log in (took me a minute to realize I was logging into the camera), I could access all it's settings.
Very cool software but I'm not sure how it would help me with this question? Did it somehow provide that rtsp url you posted below it? (Which also works in VLC by the way!)

I just thought of a follow up question...
I use Blue Iris and was wondering if the BI server on your network also has rtsp stream url's you can point directly to as well instead of the cameras themselves? Possibly even one that shows more than one camera at the same time?

Thanks again

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just thought of a follow up question...
I use Blue Iris and was wondering if the BI server on your network also has rtsp stream url's you can point directly to as well instead of the cameras themselves? Possibly even one that shows more than one camera at the same time?
Not that I know of, but Blue Iris does make jpeg frames you can request, and a couple compressed video streams in a few different formats. Some even play in VLC. Check the Blue Iris help file and look at the bottom of the Web Server section. None of these are RTSP however.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The RTSP string I quoted (rtsp://192.168.1.63:554/Streaming/Channels/1?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1) was pasted from the bottom of the Live Video page of ONVIF Device Manager.
Would also have shown your modified RTSP port ...

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome. See it there now.

The RTSP string I quoted (rtsp://192.168.1.63:554/Streaming/Channels/1?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1) was pasted from the bottom of the Live Video page of ONVIF Device Manager.
Would also have shown your modified RTSP port ...