Running BI on a VM...?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, after a lot of reading, I know that the leadership here recommends to run BI on bare metal... However, I have several non-Mac things that need to be hosted on my LAN and if I buy a PeeCee for each thing seems like there will a bit of clutter that could be avoided. A major benefit of VMs are that the resources are used more efficiently. So, does anyone think that virtualizing BI is a good idea? I know that if this is your only server then VMs will not be effective.

Just curious,

Robert

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Search the forum or use Google to search the forum. Thhere are a number of posts on using a VM. The the is not recommended as in general it is unreliable, of a critical security application. If you are using BI to record chickens, birds, squirrel, then use a VM.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand.... my squirrel footage is very important to me! :)

BTW: it looks like we are both in Houston.

Thanks,

Robert

saltfish

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been running BI virtualized for several years. VMware VM/ Windows 10. I have 8 cameras recording 24/7 at about 13 fps. Not an issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been running BI virtualized for several years. VMware VM/ Windows 10. I have 8 cameras recording 24/7 at about 13 fps. Not an issue.
8 cams is a completely meaningless term, under real load its inefficient.
Blue iris like any other vms should be installed on bare metal for stability and reliability. Also to take advantage of intel hardware acceleration which is not usually available with vm save select few exceptions.

saltfish

n3wb
Reaction score
What would "real load" be? I would like to experiment. I am not saying its the ideal setup, but just works for me. All ready have hardware just creating heat, so figured I would use it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What would "real load" be? I would like to experiment. I am not saying its the ideal setup, but just works for me. All ready have hardware just creating heat, so figured I would use it.
8 4k cameras. Modern pc's generate very little heat.

saltfish

n3wb
Reaction score
4k cams would be nice, can't see the advantage when most shit happens at night. Let me know when the come out with a 4k starlight that the poor guy can afford.
I definitely wouldn't go the server/ vm route if I didn't already have them up and running several other vm's . Very power hungry, give off enough heat to heat a small house.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been running a test Blue Iris VM with Window 10 on my unRAID server for about a month now. It’s been running fine for me.

I actually have been running an additional windows 10 VM with GPU and USB passthrough for 2 plus years as my main “at home” computer. It’s also been rock solid.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4k cams would be nice, can't see the advantage when most shit happens at night. Let me know when the come out with a 4k starlight that the poor guy can afford.
I definitely wouldn't go the server/ vm route if I didn't already have them up and running several other vm's . Very power hungry, give off enough heat to heat a small house.
Im not arguing about whether or not 4k is the right choice . fyi, there are very promising 4k cameras reviewed here that do very well at night and are 125-175, start learning..also note that not every installation needs low light capability. Not every system is limited to 8 camera, let me guess 720p for you?
You are likely generating MORE heat with your old outdated sever (the issue is NOT server vs desktop, its the processor that is outdated in yours). Stop paying an energy tax to your electric company.

saltfish

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running 4 axis 4mp cameras and 4 dahua 2mp. All set to record at least 1080p or better. My servers are not all that old, probably oldest is 4 years, Can't remember which series xeon processors they have, but yeah way more energy consumption then desktop. Just needed for other applications.
I'll have to look for some 4K low light if I expand system further.