Running CAT 6 to cameras...

JohnP274

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I feel I'm very mechanically inclined, capable and dying to venture into an 8 camera system of my own but have some concerns, mostly with regards to getting cables to and from cameras & the equipment and terminating the CAT 6.

With the CAT 6 to the cameras - I believe most installers they I received estimates from will run the cable behind the vinyl siding (mostly in corners) down to the basement ceiling level of the foundation walls and pop thru to the basement that way. Is this most common?
I would prefer not to have any cable behind the siding - I see this as "happy homeowner " type of install rather than professional grade. Am I wrong?

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hidden is just so much cleaner. I always run my wires and use my cable stapler, on the eaves but thats only because i have stucco and have no more options other then the attic. Attics creep me the heck out, all full of itchy fiberglass... When i bid a job I always hire someone to run the cable now as part of the bid. :) Too old for that.

JohnP274

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Funny you mention hiring to run the cables. I'm thinking the same thing, show the point A and point B and give me a price.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use someone who is insured :p just in case the ceiling gets messed up :p

JohnP274

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's the beauty of my project...basement is unfinished but very soon to be finished. Thinking of running i/2" conduits in the basement to & thru the exterior wall but hate the idea of an ugly junction box(es) around the perimeter of my house.

Squeeker

n3wb
Reaction score
Running Cat behind vinyl siding is easy. You mentioned running it down the corners but horizontal is easy too.
There is a siding tool (called a zip tool) that lets you pull back the siding enough to run/staple your cable. Simple to use and can be found at hardware stores.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's the beauty of my project...basement is unfinished but very soon to be finished. Thinking of running i/2" conduits in the basement to & thru the exterior wall but hate the idea of an ugly junction box(es) around the perimeter of my house.
You can run the cables through the attic or basement to the walls, since your basement is unfinished right now I would consider that option.

JohnP274

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
understand but my real concern is getting thru the foundation wall. I've seen some post where it is suggested to use junction boxes but I think this is ugly...so far I havent found a decorative junction box. Also am thinking I may get lucky and be able to get into the basement while being within the siding - may not need to drop below the siding I'm hoping.

Squeeker

n3wb
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to go through the concrete.
Most likely, your siding stops at the top of or a little below your foundation wall. Behind the siding you probably have OSB, a sill plate and rim joist on top of the concrete.
In your basement, take a look at the top of the concrete, you should see the sill plate (laying flat on the concrete). Your floor joists rest on the sill plate and but up against the rim joist.
Pull back the bottom layer of siding, go through the rim joist and fish your cable through and run it behind the siding.