Running Ethernet Cables Outside

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to purchase a spool of cat5e or cat6 cable for outside runs. This is on an old 2 story house (pier and beam foundation) so I don't have the luxury of running all of the cables through the attic for a nice and clean install and I don't want to run the cables low due to tampering reasons.

1) Do I need UTP (unshielded) or STP (shielded) cable and does it need to be outside rated? The wiring will be near 2 A/C units, cross the incoming power line (very close to the breaker box), and run along coaxial cables.
2) What is the typical transition from outside wiring to inside wiring? Since outside rated Ethernet cable is stiff what is the best way to convert over to patch cables or is there enough flexibility to plug directly into the NVR?
3) If running all of these wires through the wall I will need a fairly large hole. What do I need to drill the hole with that is long enough to penetrate both sides?
4)) What is the best way to attach the cable along the house? I would like to have 5 cables grouped together for a long run.

Last edited:

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally, I'd just use regular UTP and use conduits and junction boxes outside. That will protect the cable from UV and damage. It also will look a whole lot better than a bundle of cables. 3/4" conduit should be good for 5 cables. I have used regular UTP outside and it lasts for at least a year if not a couple years without conduit.

You generally don't need shielded cable unless you are running parallel within 18" to a high voltage line. Crossing a high voltage line is best done perpendicular. Coax is not anything to worry about.

I use one solid run of cable between termination points. I don't believe in "patching" cables together. It may work, but it's not something I would do. So if I were to use STP outside, I would run it to a small patch panel, and use that to transition to UTP inside. It's neater to do it that way, but costs a little more and takes longer. This is another reason it's easier to use the same cable for the whole project.

As for entry into your house, use a junction box, and seal the hole with caulk when you are done. Drilling depends on the material. Brick, concrete and stucco all require masonry bits. They make long bits. Since the special bits can get pricey, it helps if you have someone that can loan them to you. It sounds like you only need 1 hole.

After thought: there are always going to be many way to do the same thing. You might also consider running the 5 cameras to a PoE switch, and then running 1 cable to your NVR.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since the cables will be running perpendicular to the power line I should be okay with UTP then.

I don't like the idea of conduit due to the complexity of modifying/repairing/changing/adding cables. I'd much rather use cable clamps and still neatly route the grouped wires together. There are already coaxial cables running along the house so it's not going to change the existing look too much since I will run them next to each other.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone to borrow tools from. This is an old wooden house with modern siding. I need a ~3/4 hole all of the way through. I was thinking of adding a PVC pipe in the hole that would run into a junction box with a patch panel. That way all outside cameras run to this box and I can run the patch cables inside.

The NVR will be directly near the hole so I don't know if a poe switch would be beneficial. If I had to make a longer run inside of the house I could see doing that.

Can patch panels be mounted outside? Do they make some sort of patch panel junction box? Something like a breaker box? This is actually what I have envisioned but I haven't found a box like that. Everything I've seen related to patch panels are mounted inside on a wall or a rack system and not in any type of box.

Last edited:

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can pull cables through conduit. This is why you leave a pull string in the conduit. Or if one cable is bad, you just snip the connector off the bad cable, tape the end of the new cable to it, and pull it through. If it's a long run or has a lot of turns, you put a junction box mid-way. It could actually be easier due to only needing to pull it through from one end rather than climbing up a ladder to each point were the bundle of cables are attached. Plus, people aren't the only critters that damage cables.

A large drill bit will probably be $20-30. Not horrible. You can get almost any length, but you probably will need something in the 6-12" range. But 3/4" sch 40 PVC conduit is about 1" outside diameter (actually, a smidge more).

You would want to put any patch panel or network equipment inside. It sounds like you can probably run direct to the NVR. But I was thinking of something like this:
Black 6 Port CAT 6 Mini Patch Panel

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can pull cables through conduit. This is why you leave a pull string in the conduit. Or if one cable is bad, you just snip the connector off the bad cable, tape the end of the new cable to it, and pull it through. If it's a long run or has a lot of turns, you put a junction box mid-way. It could actually be easier due to only needing to pull it through from one end rather than climbing up a ladder to each point were the bundle of cables are attached. Plus, people aren't the only critters that damage cables.

A large drill bit will probably be $20-30. Not horrible. You can get almost any length, but you probably will need something in the 6-12" range. But 3/4" sch 40 PVC conduit is about 1" outside diameter (actually, a smidge more).

You would want to put any patch panel or network equipment inside. It sounds like you can probably run direct to the NVR. But I was thinking of something like this:
Black 6 Port CAT 6 Mini Patch Panel
What type of conduit is recommended? I have junction boxes for each of my cameras anyway (Dahua branded made for the cameras). In the worst case scenario there would be a run (~40-50 feet) with 3 90 degree bends.

I actually have a 1" drill bit but don't know if it is long enough to reach through the wall. I might have to purchase one of those long drill bits that are meant to drill through walls then I can use the 1" bit to drill from each side.

I will need more than 6 ports if I go the patch panel route.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you pull the cable through the hole, unterminated, then you can drill a much smaller hole.
I bought some long multi purpose bits from HD made by Bosch that can go through a stucco wall, and for my house were long enough to go all the way through.
Harbor freight sells long bits too, but the set I bought wasn't straight enough so kind of worthless lol.
BTW, most of my outside run is in metal conduit. Protects from elements, and no one can cut the wires.

Randy

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just watched a vid where the guy talks about Direct Burial Cable !! He also says NO to using normal cable outside as UV breaks down the casing..

Guess we shall see the result of being frugal in the years to come LoL

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Silas, as I noted I've used regular cable outside, and it's lasted at least a couple years. If you protect the casing from UV, it should last a long time. If you run it under the eves or paint it to match the house you should be good. I'm lazy and cheap, so I don't want to buy special cable for a small amount of outdoor work. And I wouldn't even use direct burial cat5 exposed to the sun, it's direct burial, not direct sun.

Probird: as Randy says, you can use a small hole through the house. A 1/2" hole should fit 5 cables. You just noted you were thinking of running conduit through the wall. As to the type of conduit, metal is best. PVC is cheaper, but will degrade from UV if not painted.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Silas, as I noted I've used regular cable outside, and it's lasted at least a couple years. If you protect the casing from UV, it should last a long time. If you run it under the eves or paint it to match the house you should be good. I'm lazy and cheap, so I don't want to buy special cable for a small amount of outdoor work. And I wouldn't even use direct burial cat5 exposed to the sun, it's direct burial, not direct sun.

Probird: as Randy says, you can use a small hole through the house. A 1/2" hole should fit 5 cables. You just noted you were thinking of running conduit through the wall. As to the type of conduit, metal is best. PVC is cheaper, but will degrade from UV if not painted.
Sorry mate, I was not having a go a you, or even telling you what to do, I was just commenting that I had just watched the video and that was the process they used, he even used DBC in conduit that he then covered with concrete !!

My tongue in cheek comment was that 'we' will see if doing it our way works out as opposed to his over the coming years.

:ipct:

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
as Randy says, you can use a small hole through the house. A 1/2" hole should fit 5 cables. You just noted you were thinking of running conduit through the wall. As to the type of conduit, metal is best. PVC is cheaper, but will degrade from UV if not painted.
When I said 5 cables that was just part of the outside for the longest run. There will be 6 cameras right now with the possibility of adding 2 more. So I want a large enough hole to accommodate additional cable if needed. Albeit if 1/2" is enough I'd rather have a smaller hole and smaller conduit.

I do believe I will be going the conduit route but may be biting off more than I can chew as I'm sure it will be very time consuming. Monoprice was running a 20% off yesterday (even though the shipping charges cost more than the discount! haha) so I got the regular cat6. My mother doesn't like the idea of conduit so I will blame you if in the end it doesn't get a passing approval!! lol

If I do go with metal conduit should that be used to run through the wall (instead of PVC) so the junction box can attach? Or is the main issue making sure the junction box is sealed enough with silicone? This will be my first time running conduit so I'm not sure about all of the pieces I will need or what is necessary.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My tongue in cheek comment was that 'we' will see if doing it our way works out as opposed to his over the coming years.
I actually took that as either you and/or everyone that installed indoor rated cable outside is waiting to see if/when it fails.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. In the worst case scenario there would be a run (~40-50 feet) with 3 90 degree bends.

1 - Recommend pulling all the wires you plan to use at one time.
2 - Minimize 90 degree bends - each bend makes it harder to pull the wire through the conduit

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Mat. I plan to pre-cut the wires (longer than needed) and run them through each piece of conduit as I'm hanging it. This will eliminate having to pull all of the wires through the bends at once. The amount of 90 degree bends are dictated by each corner of the house. I prefer no corners! haha

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TIP: If you are going to pre cut, then whatever you were planning to add spare to the end, double it :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How do we connect the 3/4" PVC to the junction box?
Edit: 1/2" not 3/4" :)

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Mat. I plan to pre-cut the wires (longer than needed) and run them through each piece of conduit as I'm hanging it. This will eliminate having to pull all of the wires through the bends at once. The amount of 90 degree bends are dictated by each corner of the house. I prefer no corners! haha
With a lot of 90 degree bends and a good number of wires the pulls get more challenging, thus maybe worth installing
A) straight section of conduit
B) Pull wires
C) slip wires through EMT compression connector ( if using EMT )
D) slip wires through EMT 90 degree elbow bend
E) slip wires through EMT compression connector ( if using EMT )
F) connect
repeat until done

As Arjun implies

The Dahua Junction boxes have 1/2" EMT compatible threaded holes - thus you will need to address that during you cable runs.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance @mat200
In this case, in the picture attached, what is the correct orientation for connecting the 1/2" PVC? I myself plan to run two ethernet wires via this junction box (both wires coming in from the left, and one wire going out from the bottom to connect to another junction box for another camera)

With a lot of 90 degree bends and a good number of wires the pulls get more challenging, thus maybe worth installing
A) straight section of conduit
B) Pull wires
C) slip wires through EMT compression connector ( if using EMT )
D) slip wires through EMT 90 degree elbow bend
E) slip wires through EMT compression connector ( if using EMT )
F) connect
repeat until done

As Arjun implies

The Dahua Junction boxes have 1/2" EMT compatible threaded holes - thus you will need to address that during you cable runs.

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Am I supposed to use a coupler in that area?

Vince71

n3wb
Reaction score
The Carlon PVC conduit parts I used included female/male threaded pieces that fit onto the pipe. But I don't know if those threads are compatible with your camera junction box. They also make female/female couplers and reducer bushings that might slip over the junction box threaded adapter.

I'm working on a similar project. I'm running direct burial CAT6 from the basement up the side of the house to junction boxes mounted under my soffits. I'm running a lot of cables to power POE cameras, IR illuminators and have spares. I have two bundles running up 1" conduit that split and go to 3/4" conduits. I spray painted all the PVC parts to match the vinyl siding and soffit.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This was probably the hard way, but I did 8 feet of conduit at a time, pulling the cable through each piece of conduit, then mounting it. I suppose it would have been much easier to run a sting through the conduit, and then pull the cable through, but it worked. I also used the 90 degree bends that can be disassembled, so you don't have to pull the cable through a bend. It's always a pain to pull around corners so avoid as much as possible.
There are not cheap
Halex 1/2 in. Electrical Metallic Tube Inside Corner Pull Elbow-14605 - The Home Depot
but luckily I didn't need very many of them.