Safe powering a ds-2cd-2032l hik 12volt 1.5amp

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would it be safe to power a 2032 hik with a 12 volt 1.5 power adapter?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if you mean 12v 1.5 amp adapter then yes...its fine...

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My understanding with power adapters is that if your device requires 12 volt then the adapter better be 12 volt. If your device requires 1.25 amps or whatever, I take it, this is the minimum the adapter should be. So, I should be able to run my Hik off any 12 volt adapter with a minimum 1.25 amps.
​Correct? Y/N

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Y 100% :cool:

However... there is a caveat, and that is on 'longer' runs of cable, (extension cables, or using adaptors / splitters to combine the 12v or what ever it is onto the cat cable) the voltage will reduce by the time it gets to the camera, so some cunning has to be used...

This is because cable has resistance and just the same as RJ45 plug sagas, some things are as not as equal as others, but thats straying away from your question.

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
Some tips for long runs:

1 - Your cameras will usually have a voltage range in which they will operate
2 - Make an adapter for your power cable end and check with a volt meter (making an adapter with the cable end you are using on the project will give you a good sense of connector resistance in the equation when testing with the voltmeter)
3 - They make adjustable voltage power supplies, adjust supply end to have appropriate voltage at load end
4 - Always aim for mid to upper end of your voltage range, the load once applied will also drop the voltage
5 - Less voltage drop will occur with more amps available (you will see more voltage drop if your device requires 800ma and you use a 1000ma power supply versus using a 1500ma power supply)
6 - Cold temperature can change your effective amperage as well, if running long lengths through cold areas (cold winter climate, cold storage, etc.) use a higher rated power supply
7 - Using larger gauge power wires between supply and load will reduce your voltage drop

These tips apply to any AC or DC electrical projects.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great! I just tested a 12 volt 3 amp adapter. Huge difference with the IR. Camera was detected in SAPD right away. Since most of my cameras are by a power source, I do believe this is the route i'm going to go. Thanks all for the help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember to attach the power to a surge protector....that is one benefit of poe, you just need a single one at the poe switch...