Sata power cable for NVR - what connector is this?

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a WD Purple 6TB hard drive and want to install it in a Dahua NVR.

Trying to work out what sort of power connector cable is in the photos below.

It's definately not a 4-pin molex, looks like a berg connector or something like that.

Any ideas? It needs to plug from the NVR board to the sata power on the hdd.

Attachments

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
And here's a picture of the internal of the NVR:

As you can see we have two connectors from the power supply, one for the poe ports and one for the other board.

The white four pin connector on the far left is actual labelled sata power but no guide anywhere as to the type of power to sata connector I need.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 'floppy connector goes by a few other names including: berg, LP4, mini molex. On newer PSUs sometimes they call it things like 4 pin peripheral connector.

I'm impressed you found the connector you needed, I half expected to to require a couple adapters back to molex that hook together. I save cables from old PSUs so making my own would have been tempting too.

I suggest you check the voltages just to be sure everything is in right order for the cable you bought.

Last edited:

yeahnah

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem as OP, my NVR4108HS didn't come with a power cable for the HDD, and uses the non-standard 4 pin connector. The ebay link is dead now, was wondering if there was a part number? The connector looks too big to be ye olde 3.5" floppy connector.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the same problem as OP, my NVR4108HS didn't come with a power cable for the HDD, and uses the non-standard 4 pin connector. The ebay link is dead now, was wondering if there was a part number? The connector looks too big to be ye olde 3.5" floppy connector.
Maybe ==>> this?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As i checked with dahua,the cable is standard one, so can buy them locally. I am checking if dahua forget to put the cables or not.

Davidgm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have the same problem as the OP. I need the power cable for the HD. I purchased a Dahua X21A1E NVR thinking I would experiment with Dahua compared to my current Night Owl system. So far I'm not impressed, I called Dahua to see if I could get the part number for the cable and they couldn't even give it to me (they did give me a case #), said I'd have to call my vendor and the vendor isn't looking to promising yet. The header in my DVR is definitely bigger than the floppy Drive connector and I'm reluctant to buy the connector pictured in the Ebay link because with no specs, I don't want to get a floppy drive cable and have another wasted $10 in it. I looked on the Dahua website and I can't even find a parts list for it. Thanks for any help that anyone can give!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I have the same problem as the OP. I need the power cable for the HD. I purchased a Dahua X21A1E NVR thinking I would experiment with Dahua compared to my current Night Owl system. So far I'm not impressed, I called Dahua to see if I could get the part number for the cable and they couldn't even give it to me (they did give me a case #), said I'd have to call my vendor and the vendor isn't looking to promising yet. The header in my DVR is definitely bigger than the floppy Drive connector and I'm reluctant to buy the connector pictured in the Ebay link because with no specs, I don't want to get a floppy drive cable and have another wasted $10 in it. I looked on the Dahua website and I can't even find a parts list for it. Thanks for any help that anyone can give!
Post some pictures of the inside if you want help finding the cable. Generally software VMS running on a PC are more capable than an NVR, you'd probably be happier with Blue Iris or something similar. However the model you have is a penta-brid dvr and the only reason to choose that would be if you have a bunch of some kind of coax cameras, in which case a DVR makes more sense than a pc.

Davidgm

n3wb
Reaction score
Tangent,
Thanks for the reply, the picture of the header is identical to what the OP (Janastas) posted. I would probably be happier with the blue iris, I was trying to go a cheaper route and save some of the current coax camera's that I have and maybe have some flexibility to try a newer IP camera.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tangent,
Thanks for the reply, the picture of the header is identical to what the OP (Janastas) posted. I would probably be happier with the blue iris, I was trying to go a cheaper route and save some of the current coax camera's that I have and maybe have some flexibility to try a newer IP camera.
Looks like it's probably a mini-molex connector which is bigger than a floppy connector.
like this:
edit: nope

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Davidgm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the confirmation that that would be the correct connector, if the vendor doesn't come through I guess I will try to order that. I just Googled so many in the last couple days that looked like they were just floppy connectors that I was concerned that one might be just another floppy connector.

nosnim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any word on why Dahua does not include these SATA power cables with their NVRs? I have 5 Dahua NVRs and none of them include it. I orginally ordered 6 cables from Amazon, SATA to FDD power cables but the FDD connector ends are no wide enough to connect to the 4 pins on the NVR circuit board. Just ordered 6 of the cables you guys linked to on Ebay so hope they work.

Are the correct ones really called Mini-Molex because when I googled that, it didn't give me any thing on Mini-Molex.

nosnim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As i checked with dahua,the cable is standard one, so can buy them locally. I am checking if dahua forget to put the cables or not.
Hi Andy what is the cable called? Where can we buy it? Did you find out why they do not include the cables?

Davidgm

n3wb
Reaction score
The part # in the Ebay link did not end up being the correct part # for me, but I did order it from Mouser instead of eBay. It ended up just being another floppy Drive connector. The key to me was to search for 3.98 mm to sata. I ended up getting 10 pigtails off Amazon for like 8 bucks and spliced the connectors to make my own.

Davidgm

n3wb
Reaction score
I definitely was not too impressed with Dauha technical support or B&H Photo, the vendor where I bought the DVR, neither one could help me with a part number.