Saving recording space

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have currently 32 cameras running and I only have 3 pcs. 4 Tera's HD so that's 12 tera, and I am trying to save space so that recording of each camera will last for at least 7 days,

No, question is what's the best video record settings that I can choose to achieve my goal please?

Thank you,

-Boots

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have currently 32 cameras running and I only have 3 pcs. 4 Tera's HD so that's 12 tera, and I am trying to save space so that recording of each camera will last for at least 7 days,

No, question is what's the best video record settings that I can choose to achieve my goal please?

Thank you,

-Boots
only thing that matters is the bitrate...bunch of threads discussing this. try variable bitrate..

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thank you, well I guess I just have to play with them bitrates then

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman

How about how to combine the 3 drives to one drive sir, is there any settingson the BI to do that?

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman

How about how to combine the 3 drives to one drive sir, is there any settingson the BI to do that?

Thank you
you can do that..but a much better solution is to split the cameras and record 8 to each drive...
do this by creating new folders in clips and archiving..then you will have the option in the cameras record tab to save to the new location...

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thank you, yes I will try and do that,

btw, one more silly question, where can I find the bitrate please? is that the max rate (fps) - and it seems like I cannot change it, it always go back to 25 fps, unless I have to buy the soft? I'm still on demo mode as I am still on the testing stage before my big boss buys it.

Cheers,

-boots

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thank you, yes I will try and do that,

btw, one more silly question, where can I find the bitrate please? is that the max rate (fps) - and it seems like I cannot change it, it always go back to 25 fps, unless I have to buy the soft? I'm still on demo mode as I am still on the testing stage before my big boss buys it.

Cheers,

-boots
both bitrate and fps must be changed in the camera itself..not blue iris.also note depending on the camera resolution and fps settings you may need a very powerful system...
you should read the wiki on proper setup like direct to disk and hardware acceleration...

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman, sorry I'm so noob when it comes to camera's as this is not my area of expertise but yup thank you, I did realized that it has to be on the camera itsefl.

Moving on, I am puzzled, on recording, all the camera's is set to motion dectection but then it seems like it records then delete then records again? I couldn't even find recording like this morning, but I started recording since yesterday, I think like when it stops recording then trigger to record again it deletes the old record? Or maybe I'm wrong?, I don't know.

What's the settings on continuous recording via motion detection please?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman, sorry I'm so noob when it comes to camera's as this is not my area of expertise but yup thank you, I did realized that it has to be on the camera itsefl.

Moving on, I am puzzled, on recording, all the camera's is set to motion dectection but then it seems like it records then delete then records again? I couldn't even find recording like this morning, but I started recording since yesterday, I think like when it stops recording then trigger to record again it deletes the old record? Or maybe I'm wrong?, I don't know.

What's the settings on continuous recording via motion detection please?
thats because you didnt read the help file and set storage capacity in clips and archiving...

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually did,

but I am confused, the limit size is for? the clips? The Hard drive?

The limit clip age I put on 7 days. - so I understand this will automatically delete after 7 days?

I selected delete rather than move to folder. So the delete is for?

The aux settings, I set 8 camera's to record on aux1 but nothing happened.

I am not using stored, as we are not planning to store old clips.

So for example my settings is limit size is 10 gb clip age on 7 days? - Is this right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually did,

but I am confused, the limit size is for? the clips? The Hard drive?

The limit clip age I put on 7 days. - so I understand this will automatically delete after 7 days?

I selected delete rather than move to folder. So the delete is for?

The aux settings, I set 8 camera's to record on aux1 but nothing happened.

I am not using stored, as we are not planning to store old clips.

So for example my settings is limit size is 10 gb clip age on 7 days? - Is this right?
read the help file...dont set a day limit..its pointless, use a size limit to maximize storage