Scammer and car checker

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This person said his sister was in a accident and needed money to get her car out of impound. IIR the story correctly her purse was in the vehicle. I later found out its illegal in our state for them to hold the owners cash and such so this is obviously a scam.

At the moment I was tired and gullible so I thought there was a possibility he could be sincere. He even asked me if I knew anyone else that could help. I probably shouldn't have answered the door but I figured it was someone wanting to shovel or something. On the way back to his car he decided to take a good look in mine. This was really gutsy considering he just spoke with me. I posted it on the nextdoor website and was encouraged to call the cops. I did so now they have a plate number and a somewhat usable photo. He has been around the neighborhood doing this since last week.

The driveway cam is a motorized dahua zoomed in all the way. I very rarely park in my driveway so I aimed the cam to mostly cover the mailbox and my sidewalk. I'm also aware the front door placement is terrible. I'm having some trouble to get a good angle with the camera in the soffit. I've been really busy and basically slapped up the cams so haven't had time to fine tune. My original goal was to have a few overview cams since I doubted they could be useful for something like this.

I wasn't able to post full video since youtube and even vlc seems to be having trouble with my fps? plays fine inside blue iris before exported.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That guy pegs my sleezeball meter for sure.

Just for giggles, what's your framerate set to in the cameras and in BI? Do you have the K-Lite codec pack installed or just the stock Windows video stuff?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO, it's not wise to open the door to a stranger these days. If you don't know 'em, ignore'em. If you feel the need to talk to them, do it through the door while door remains locked.

To easy for things to go south otherwise.

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think the driveway cam is set to 10 fps and matched accordingly in blue iris. I would have to recheck. On that one I can get the video to play in vlc but it will show a longer time than it actually is. The other cam I think is only 1-2 fps and vlc will just show a still frame. if I drag the slider sometimes it will move a bit. No codec packs installed. I didn't think vlc or blue required them? Neither one will process through youtube.

I normally don't answer my door for any stranger. I had pulled my car into the driveway minutes earlier which was running because my battery was down. I almost never do this because you can now be ticketed and they are stolen all the time. I think this was also part of the reason I wanted to see what was going on.

Some crooks check for driveways without cars during the day and will kick in your door if you don't answer. They think no one is home. I need to buy a better peep hole and install a little lower so family can see out as well.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember another poster had trouble posting a 10fps BI video to YouTube as well. Might be a coincidence but might not.