Scanning License Plates & Safe Neighbourhood

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a good amount of crime going on in our neighborhood. Most of the time people doing the crime get there with their cars. Unfortunately, the cameras mounted on our home are not in an ideal position to scan license plates of cars driving down the street. Hence, I am considering installing a cam in the front yard that scans each car passing by (not that I care to watch the cam unless a neighbor was burglarized). So I want to hide the cam, probably behind some plant. At the same time I want to let people know (they are not just down the street so can't just send a mailer) that we are not observing them while we are still providing some protection for the neighborhood. Any input how to handle this balance between surveillance and protection is appreciated.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now not sure where you are in the world so don't know what data protection laws apply in your country... But first I would check the laws in your area regarding obtaining number plates.... Like I have said in another post you can stand outside you home on the sidewalk with your mobile and record people & cars all day and you are fine to do that, but the laws may change when you are doing this via your security camera fixed to your building. But just check your local laws. As regards to informing neighbours I would simply talk to them and see if they have an issue.. (But if they did have an issue and if the laws on your side there isn't much they could do about it apart from trash your camera) Once they understand that you are doing this for the good of the neighbourhood they will probably be up for it.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good point about the law. I think it will be fine as the police department actually has a portal to (voluntarily) report your cameras so they know who has one when a crime happens. I will check with them, though. As for informing neighbors, I am considering putting fliers into the mailboxes along our street and maybe have a small poster or something for a month or so for the people that walk our street on a regular basis. I am wondering how to protect the camera, though. Maybe have some concrete block put in the ground and maybe put some small case around it to protect it from sprayers (if they do spray I only need to replace the box).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think vandalism is too much of a problem. Lots of folks here have LPR cameras and I have yet to see anything posted regarding vandalism to their cameras. You can be creative and use some landscaping, fake rocks, or bushes to hide the camera. Bushes can be a little bit of a PITA since they'll need to be trimmed regularly. Birdhouses of one sort or another are also a popular way to hide a camera.

Before you start, you should also check out this thread. LPR is an art and takes a dedicated camera. The only thing you'll see at night, in most cases, is just the head or tail lights and a license plate. You may also want to consider using two ameras, one coming and one going, unless you're on a dead end street.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good point about the law. I think it will be fine as the police department actually has a portal to (voluntarily) report your cameras so they know who has one when a crime happens. I will check with them, though. As for informing neighbors, I am considering putting fliers into the mailboxes along our street and maybe have a small poster or something for a month or so for the people that walk our street on a regular basis. I am wondering how to protect the camera, though. Maybe have some concrete block put in the ground and maybe put some small case around it to protect it from sprayers (if they do spray I only need to replace the box).
We can be more help, if you tell us where you are in general located.
Also, don't take legal advice from police.
Talk to an attorney.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs thanks for the links. I will check them out.

@looney2ns I am not sure what exactly you are looking for but we live on a relatively short street. Our house is set back maybe 25 feet from the street. I can't mount a camera on our home to watch the street on one side due to trees/bushes from our neighbor (we have pretty small lots in a dense neighborhood). The other side might possibly work but it is still a pretty steep angle (pointing from some 10 feet down and 25 feet to the side). For that reason, I am considering installing a camera at the front of our lawn hidden behind some small plants. That way I have to only point the camera a little bit up and a bit towards the street to get license plates. I don't care about recording pedestrians walking by (I probably will only get video of their legs). The main purpose is getting license plates. Also, I don't have the option to have cameras pointing both ways of the street. So I am hoping cares have both front and back license plates.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
California, Not sure how that matters, though. Maybe it is because we have worse internet connections than Uruguay. And each time it rains or it is hot we have our power shut off....

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe have some concrete block put in the ground and maybe put some small case around it to protect it from sprayers (if they do spray I only need to replace the box).
I've always thought about this for a project for my inlaws on the end of their drive.... Artificial Landscape Rocks - Outdoor Essentials would hide it nicely in there and only needs a small-ish hole cutting out for the lense.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your location matters because every country has different laws regarding this sort of thing and I am sure even some states in the US have more stringent requirements, maybe even down to the local muni level, so knowing where you are located could get a reply from someone here in the same location and posting and sharing their knowledge and interpretation of the law.