Scottish Noob

mibazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new IPCam user although I do have a cheap wireless Chinese bullet cam bolted to an old tool box which has a 12v car battery in it! I built this wireless portable CCTV solution to figure out if I had rats in living near my chickens and I certainly did!

But now I'm looking to install a CCTV system to my house. I've just recently ordered an ADT smart home alarm system and at the same time the salesman sold me £2250 worth of CCTV consisting of 4 fixed outdoor dome cameras and control equipment, this together with £19.99 a month for three years service cost and absolutely no networking or remote viewing from mobiles laptops etc installed (he was very clear about this point that although it was possible I'd have to do all of this myself). Now as I'm pretty well IT literate (I know my WAN's from my LAN's) having previously worked in it, being handy at all manner of DIY jobs, and being quite technical since I'm an offshore engineer, I've decided to cancel it and got it alone DIY style :cool:.

So at the moment as I write this I've done quite a bit of research already and I'm looking at 4 fixed Hikvision IP POE 4MP POE dome cams a Hikvision 2MP POE PTZ dome cam and a Hikvision 16 port POE NVR. This together with WD 6TB Purple HDD's and the requisite CAT5e cabling, crimps etc etc.

My property is a an old croft house with upper dormer floor and flat roof. I have a field and a group of outbuilding all surrounded by trees which are mine also. The front of the house sits on a Major A road.

So my plan is that fixed Cams will be at gutter level above the ground floor to monitor the house and immediate surroundings including the vehicles and caravan and outbuildings. And the plan for the PTZ it to attach it to the outer casing of an upstairs window up at roof level in the middle of the rear of the house to look out over the property and be able to survey all the land (mostly to look for wildlife but handy security also!)

So there you are thats me and at this moment that is my plan. I have lots of questions many of which I have found reasonable answers to already on the internet and some I haven't been able to answer, I'm hoping that you nice people will be able to help!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My God, this ingenious post is further evidence as to why I am flabbergasted that earth is not appointed the Scot's to run everything

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome from down south. DIY, cos you'll be find with your common sense and asking here / researching here.

I've got similar Hikvision setup but research Dahua too. Decent PTZs cost money, so leave that until last and get a decent system going first.

mibazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah ok I'll check it out, I've only really been looking at Hikvision but only because I started looking at the reviews of the 4MP fixed domes then picked the rest from that brand too. So yeah I'll check out Dahua tommorow cheers. I want the PTZ from the start if possible as the rest is going in for sensible monitoring and security but the PTZ is a bit of a toy really, looking at one around £800 the DS-2DE5184-AE. I picked it for its long range IR capability. Don't really want to spend upward of this on a PTZ though.

mibazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah 5220 is the one I'm leaning towards this morning. Do you run it POE? The spec sheet says max 32W but reading about POE+ it seems that the 802.3at standard only allows for up to 25w per port? The Hikvision NVR's don't list the max power per port either which adds to the confusion.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a 60 watt poe ultra inserter for it.
it will only use the 32 watt when at max ir and ful ptz action in 3 axis i think.

i did not try it on a 802.3at device since i have none..

mibazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh right ok. So I could use my POE NVR ports for the fixed cameras (only about 5w each) then patch cable out of one of the NVR ports to one of those mid point 60w injectors then out to the PTZ. I presume I wouldn't need the bulky injector reciever at the camera end since it's POE anyway. That sounds like a viable solution. I'd maybe hook it up to the NVR first before getting the injector to see if the POE ports on the NVR will handle it first. Cheers for the help and advice, I'm slowly building a good plan of my CCTV system now. I'd better start posting my questions in the relevant forum sections now though.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using d-link manage poe switch and the poe ultra injector on port of the switch where the port is set to no poe.
workig ok.