SD cards in Dahua cams... how long to be maxed out?

Reaction score
I recently purchased 5 x Western Digital Purple microSD cards (website says these cards were created for outdoor IP cameras so have better outdoor tolerances) but only at the 32GB due to the shortage of chips nowadays. I have yet to install them on my 5442's & SD4 PTZ but will soon.
If I ever need to review footage or events on these cards, it really would only be for any event in the last 72'ish hours, not needed for anything like 2 weeks ago.
How long would one expect events to be recorded on a 32GB card before it starts to loop back on itself?

Billy.M

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased 5 x Western Digital Purple microSD cards (website says these cards were created for outdoor IP cameras so have better outdoor tolerances) but only at the 32GB due to the shortage of chips nowadays. I have yet to install them on my 5442's & SD4 PTZ but will soon.
If I ever need to review footage or events on these cards, it really would only be for any event in the last 72'ish hours, not needed for anything like 2 weeks ago.
How long would one expect events to be recorded on a 32GB card before it starts to loop back on itself?
I have 2 auto tracking ptz mounted outside that I had almost a year I have the same micro SD cards in them for the same time-SanDisk 256GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 100MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card without any issues I live in NY brutal winters and brutal summers they still work great.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend doing continuous record - my Dahua's get wonky once the card fills up and it tries to figure out what to delete to make room.

But if you record continuously, look at the usage in BI to get an idea because resolution, FPS and bitrate will dictate how long. For most it is maybe a day or so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend doing continuous record - my Dahua's get wonky once the card fills up and it tries to figure out what to delete to make room.

But if you record continuously, look at the usage in BI to get an idea because FPS and bitrate will dictate how long. For most it is maybe a day or so.
I was unaware you can continually record to those cards but I won't do that as I have blue Iris continuously recording to my hard drive. Sorry for misconception. I was just wondering how long events stay recorded on these cards for various events like logins or triggered alerts.

Reaction score
I have 2 auto tracking ptz mounted outside that I had almost a year I have the same micro SD cards in them for the same time-SanDisk 256GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 100MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card without any issues I live in NY brutal winters and brutal summers they still work great.
256mb Right now is wildly super spendy

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it just depends how often it is triggered. Some of mine are months and others are days.