SD1A203T-GN Mini Starlight PTZ Mod for Clear Horizontal Imaging

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The SD1A203T-GN Mini PTZ is mechanically limited to -5 degrees vertical tilt even when you increase its limit from the factory default. At -5 degrees, you start to see the camera's black horizontal housing. Even worse, objects that are near zero degrees tilt or higher are optically distorted by the acrylic dome. At higher zoom levels, the distortion is worsened. The acrylic dome has its sphere/cylinder transition at about 0 degrees (horizontal). That is why near horizontal objects were vertically doubled or blurred in the stock unit.

Because many areas of interest across the street are at the horizon or higher, I wanted this PTZ to be able to look further up and have a clear image near the horizon. I have quite a few of the larger PTZ that can look -15 degrees, but this particular location could only support a mini PTZ. What is one to do? Mod the PTZ camera, of course. This requires taking the camera PTZ mechanism apart and if you break it, it's your fault. Actually, if anything breaks later on, it's still your fault. So you might not want to do this. I'm presenting it here because it solved my problem and got the performance result I wanted.

The camera mechanism now tilts from approx 85 to 0 degrees vertically rather than 90 to -5. The camera was also lowered further into the dome by 1.5 mm to move the optical distortion further up the visual field.

Here is a after/before of the same area. You can see that things near the horizon are now more clear. What you can't see in this image is that the camera in the pre-mod was at max vertical tilt, but the post mod is a bit less than max vertical tilt (to point at same target)

Look at the garage door (right side of image) in the original. You see optical doubling. In the post-mod image, that doubling effect is up at top of hedge level. It's not gone, but I have shifted it upward and away from my areas of interest (near horizon)

Attachments

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not typing fast enough to post before your question.

Two things were changed during the mod. Increasing the vertical tilt limit required changing the mechanical stop point for the camera mechanism. During power up, the camera calibrates its tilt position by tilting up until it can go no further. Vertical motion is referenced off that position. Increasing vertical tilt 5 degrees should not over stress the cable umbilical based on my examination of its build.

The rear half of the spherical camera housing has an indented arc in which a stop tab fits. By notching extending the indentation, I could change the upward tilt limit. The camera can't look straight down any more, but I never need it to look straight down.

This takes care of allowing more upward tilt. You will still see the camera housing, but when zoomed, the housing is often out of view anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The next thing was extending the camera mount so it protrudes a little further into the acrylic dome. Too little and you won't shift the distortion enough. Too much and the camera can't pan. I found about 1.5 mm was the most I could do, but it was enough. The tilt portion of the mechanism is attached to the pan table by two screws. By extruding a spacer of 1.5 mm PLA on the table, I could remount the tilt base a little bit higher (further into the acrylic dome)

That's it.

If you do this be very mindful of the cable connector, routing and lens!

Attachments

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gotch, thanks for sharing your mod.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a reason that you could not tilt the entire camera unit?
Something like putting a 10 degree wedge under the camera.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice mod, but this is exactly why I have never been a big fan of any dome type cam, especially outdoors. BTW, that sure is a huge hedge your neighbor has !

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a reason that you could not tilt the entire camera unit?​

Didn't tilt the entire camera because the tilt would really bug me when the camera is panned left or right.
I agree, that domes suck. Only at two locations do I have domes. Everything else is turrets or full size PTZ's.
The mini PTZ domes were deployed only when a larger PTZ was unreasonably ugly.

Dahua also has an older, non-dome mini PTZ, but it is not a starlight sensor. Not used because I'm deploying only starlight sensors in new locations.
The difference is staggering enough that I have nearly replaced all my old cameras with starlight units.