SD1A404XB: Face detection beast

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got my mini-PTZ mounted in it's final position. It's about 5.5m (18 feet) from the sidewalk and 6m (20 feet) up. When I'm able to get it properly mounted (corner bracket, etc) it will be about 2m (6 feet) lower than it is now.

But in the meantime, this thing is capturing almost 100% of the faces that pass by during the day. With all the face detection settings set to the lowest quality, it's recording over 400 face detections a day. Some are seconds, or less, apart of the same person but that's actually a huge advantage, IMO. Gives some different angles of the same person.

Hasn't done much at night as I don't have enough ambient lighting. I will be installing two IR illuminators when they arrive next month (living in Cuba is a pain in the ass) to properly illuminate the sidewalk and street for night B/W captures.

Neat little camera. Much more subtle form factor than the "death star" PTZs. One really, really has to look to see where it's pointed. I'm sure few people even realize that it's a PTZ.

I have my other cams triggering it to presets when some enters the alleyway on the right of the pics (red gate) and enters or leaves the black gate.

My N85EF2 (US version of the Color4K-X) is pointed in the opposite direction doing face capture of people walking down the street.

12_20221126075630_1675806_FD_0.jpg
12_20221126075630_1675806.jpg

12_20221126092858_20580419_FD_0.jpg
12_20221126092858_20580419.jpg

12_20221126095809_2198538_FD_0.jpg
12_20221126095809_2198538.jpg

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
You could put solar light up on your gate for nite time. will they allow that in cuba?
I have a 120W LED solar reflector in that location already. The entire perimeter of my house is illuminated by LED solar reflectors. No unnecessary wiring and we get lots of sun.

2 IR illuminators are arriving in a week or two with a friend. That should be enough to get the nighttime face detection that I want.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
You could put solar light up on your gate for nite time. will they allow that in cuba?
Sorry, I should point out that the reflectors are mounted on the house facing outwards.

But I have considered what you suggested re: reflectors on posts.

I think next trip to Mexico, I'm going to pick some of these up. Not a fan of the cosmetic design but I love the functionality.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tested the delay time on your PTZ in adapting to a change in lighting from dark to bright?

Usually now most adapt very quickly but just be aware of 2 potential issues with that set up:

1. The solar lights are using a pir so you may have a delay in the light coming on from:

i. The sensitivity of the pir and the distance at which it picks up the pedestrian

ii. How quickly it switches on the light

2. How quickly the camera adapts tp the light change.

You may already have an idea from the camera with your existing lights, but if not, you could get someone to stand at the gate in the darkness and then turn yopur car headlights on, on full beam and see on the video how seemlessly the video changed from light to dark. Remember people walking past will only be in frame for a very short period. Someone coming in will be in frame much longer but only provided they come in through or over the gate. If they walk past and come through a part of the wall or property outside of the trigger area, the gate window maybe your only opportunity to capture the face.

One other concern, I'm never a fan of built in PIR's. PIRs go weak and eventually fail. In a $1,000+ light, that's an expensive failure unless the module can be replaced (I usually go for separte PIR's for that reason). You're obviously a man of means so maybe $2,000's worth of lights isn't a problem. However, it might be worth checking with the manufacturer if there are replacement pir modules available for the lights you're buying and whether they can be DIY retrofitted in the case of failure.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tested the delay time on your PTZ in adapting to a change in lighting from dark to bright?

Usually now most adapt very quickly but just be aware of 2 potential issues with that set up:

1. The solar lights are using a pir so you may have a delay in the light coming on from:

i. The sensitivity of the pir and the distance at which it picks up the pedestrian

ii. How quickly it switches on the light

2. How quickly the camera adapts tp the light change.

You may already have an idea from the camera with your existing lights, but if not, you could get someone to stand at the gate in the darkness and then turn yopur car headlights on, on full beam and see on the video how seemlessly the video changed from light to dark. Remember people walking past will only be in frame for a very short period. Someone coming in will be in frame much longer but only provided they come in through or over the gate. If they walk past and come through a part of the wall or property outside of the trigger area, the gate window maybe your only opportunity to capture the face.

One other concern, I'm never a fan of built in PIR's. PIRs go weak and eventually fail. In a $1,000+ light, that's an expensive failure unless the module can be replaced (I usually go for separte PIR's for that reason). You're obviously a man of means so maybe $2,000's worth of lights isn't a problem. However, it might be worth checking with the manufacturer if there are replacement pir modules available for the lights you're buying and whether they can be DIY retrofitted in the case of failure.
You make some excellent points. The solar reflector does have a movement sensor however I turn the light on 80% brightness for the night. I find that eliminates all concerns regarding the cameras making adjustments.

While I may wish to be, I am not a man of great means! These solar reflectors I buy in Mexico for about $50 USD piece. The oldest ones are going on 2 years with no major issues, only a slight decrease in battery capacity. My next trip to Mexico, I will be buying new, more powerful reflectors. Overpowered for their real world use in my scenario so that I have far more battery than I need.

Example, I have a 120W reflector now. I will be replacing it with a 400W reflector and running it at maximum 50% brightness. Since the unit is designed with a battery to supply 400W for at least 8 hours, running it at 50% will allow me to have an excess of battery power to account for having two cloudy days in a row since they don't seem to charge fully. Only downside to this is the potential for decreased life cycle of the battery. But the batteries are cheap and can be replaced in a few minutes once the unit is dismounted.

These things retail for about $12 on Alibaba. Like i mentioned, a 150W unit costs about $50 USD in Mexico. I can deal with replacing units yearly at that price but that hasn't proven to be the case.

Next purchase will be models without motion sensors. Just less complicated overall.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Hit a milestone yesterday. 1000+ captures in less than 24 hours with this one camera. My Color4K/X does FD about 12 hours a day before it goes into IVS.

To be clear, there's multiple shots of the same person, especially if they're on a motorcycle or bicycle.

And not all captures are human faces. There's the odd bit of landscape or vehicle tire. But I'd say this is 90% of pedestrians who are crossing right to left.

Oh, and the camera took a picture of my dog the other day, thinking she was human. Which she almost is.

IMG-20230121-WA0007.jpg

IMG20230126192942.jpg