SD22204T-GN intermittent lense movement - zoom + focusing

JackNg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the forum. I'm hoping some guru here can give me some tips/hints as to how i can troubleshoot this issue that I've have. Here goes:
I've got my hand one of the mini PTZ camera from Dahua - SD22204T-GN, a few months back. I've only just enabled the motion detection event in but have been getting alarm event about every 3-4 minutes. When going through the video, I've noticed that the lense just do a quick 'zoom in and out and refocusing' moment. That was enough to let the motion detection thinks that there's motion in the frame. So my SD card has been filled up with videos.
Thinking it was a firmware issue, I've found the latest firmware V2.622.0000000.3.R.180116 and installed it. Restored all settings to factory default. But same 'zoom in and out and refocusing' moment still exist. I've tried played with some of the settings under Focus & Zoom but not of them appears to have any effects.
Any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

JackNg

n3wb
Reaction score
Below is the video that captures what I've described.

This is how often (every ~2-3 minutes) it is happening that triggered all the recording events. It happens at day and night.
upload_2018-4-16_9-39-11.png

Please do let me know if you have encounter this before. How does one go about troubleshoot or find out the root cause for this.

Thanks

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd suggest that you backup your BI settings then try turning off the PTZ function in the properties of that camera to see if the issue stops, if so then you'd need to try different PTZ settings for that camera, if not then try watching the live feed via the cameras web interface to verify you see the behavior there and if you do remove the camera from BI to see if the issue persists in the cameras live view to know for sure if it is a camera issue or BI configuration issue.

Never mind looking closer at your pictures I see you are seeing this on the camera and not BI. Do you have anything else connected to the camera yet?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's zooming in and back out, not really refocusing.
Try clicking on the PTZ restart button.
Then
If this model has the PTZ default button in the cams setup, I'd try that.
Next step would be to do a hard reset with the reset button inside the camera.

Capture.PNG

JackNg

n3wb
Reaction score
@Terk

Sorry. I'm new and not familiar with the abbreviation. But if BI = Blue Iris, I'm not using that. I'm using SmartPSS for viewing only, presumably this is similar to Blue Iris.
But, everything is configured directly with WebUI (i.e. not using the SmartPSS) The issue is being observed both on live-view and recording.
Other than the POE ethernet connection to the camera, there's nothing else that connects to the camera.

JackNg

n3wb
Reaction score
@looney2ns, It looks to me that the zooming in and back out was followed with refocusing. It is as if.. it has lost focus and was trying to refocusing on something (?)
Ok. Just tried the "PTZ Restart" as well as the "Default" button. After the camera done with the movement / resetting (for both cases), the issue reoccurs (like a clock-work).
Going to have to wait until tonight to try the hard-reset.

Is there a way to see / obtain the native log of the camera? I'm trying to see if there is something that triggering this "zooming in and back out".

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The act of zooming in or out will trigger a refocus. I'm just guessing here, i've not ran across this issue.

Look under Information>Log in the side menu.
Also, if you take it apart, check to see if there is a silica packet that has came loose and is interfering with any mechanical movement. That's a long shot.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same problem, on the same camera here after upgrading to the latest firmware.

I'm not using BI, but just the Smart PSS software. But it does all this in the webinterface also.

It looks like it does a "Lens Init" every once in a while. Very annoying. It also suddenly has lots of problems with ghosting / trailing the image mostly at night, as if the noise reduction was set to 100, but it's not enabled or set at 10 / 10.
The firmware it had on it before this one, did not have any problems described above.

Looks like Dahua has messed this one up big time.

EDIT: Just did a firmware downgrade back to the older one. Not the best practice, but now the problem is fixed until there is a fix for the problems in the new firmware.

Last edited:

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@SkyLake can you say which firmware you went back to and where you got it in case others have this issue? Thanks.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@SkyLake can you say which firmware you went back to and where you got it in case others have this issue? Thanks.
No problem,

I went back to firmware: DH_SD-Mao-Themis_Eng_P_Stream3_IVS_V2.600.0000.0.R.20170601

Found at the Dahua website: Firmware

I use the PAL version, because i live in Europe. I'm sure the NTSC version has been posted on this forum somewhere.

Last edited:

JackNg

n3wb
Reaction score
No problem,

I went back to firmware: DH_SD-Mao-Themis_Eng_P_Stream3_IVS_V2.600.0000.0.R.20170601

I use the PAL version, because i live in Europe. I'm sure the NTSC version has been posted on this forum somewhere.
Thanks @SkyLake

I've downgrade mine to the firmware that you've mentioned.
I think this bug is quite a serious bug and should be reported to Dahua. Anyone know how to go getting this done?

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any updates on this issue?

I updated the firmware again to the latest one, and for now it works sort of fine, except the "Lens Init" sort of zoom in / out every 4 minutes or so.
You would say that they implemented this as a feature, to eliminate auto focus problems, but it is just plain annoying. And it does not matter if focus is set to "Auto", "Semi Auto" or "Manual", it keeps doing it.
This is obviously a bottleneck for the motion detection, as it will set off a alarm for "Tampering" , motion detect and so on.

The thing i'm quite happy with now, is the fact that i can now import/export the config file from within the web-interface. This feature did not work for me with the previous firmware.

I'm watching the firmwares on the Dahua site, and hope that they will upload a newer one sometime soon. But for now i will leave it like this, and keep fiddling with the settings, to find out where the problem sits.

Greetings, SkyLake

Last edited:

nachopro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new in this forum.

I updated mi DH-SD22204T-GN to 2.622.0000000.3.R.T4.484, Build Date: 2018-01-16 and I falled in the same Issue. And I'm not able to set range hours in Camera > Conditions > Profile Manager > Schedule :(

The problem is that I can't download the old version 2.600.0000.0.R.4.484, Build Date: 2017-06-01 from the Dahua Site :(

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/3761

PS: Look at this version of dahua site: SD22204T-GN,SD22204T GN,SD22204TGN :)

Last edited:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No problem,

@nachopro This is my post from a while back. There you can find the previous version. When i am back at home, i will post the firmware again.

@EMPIRETECANDY , Do you have any news on this issue, or do you know when Dahua releases a new firmware? Please let Dahua know about this problem. Thanks

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got the new Starlight model yesterday from my US supplier, the 22204TNI. No issues whatsoever with the cam and its excellent at night with just driveway lights. Gonna test it out without any exterior lighting to see how it performs.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got the new Starlight model yesterday from my US supplier, the 22204TNI. No issues whatsoever with the cam and its excellent at night with just driveway lights. Gonna test it out without any exterior lighting to see how it performs.
I had to search for this one, as i could not find it at first :D

Could you post pictures or a video of it? So that i can see how the image quality is / improved over the one i use at the moment.