SD29204T-GN-W Voltage Sensitivity

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a Dahua mini black face. This is the wifi version which requires a DC power supply. In order to run power to it I'm looking at a 25ft extension cable. This will drop the voltage of a 12v 2.5a power supply down to ~11.37v. That's if the output of the converter is rated at the end of the supplied length of cable (usually 6ft or so). If not, then voltage will be around 11.21v.

Does anyone know if this camera is very sensitive to voltage differences from the requirements? Would I be better off supplying it with higher voltage that it requires?

Thanks for your help.

extension cable: Amazon.com: JacobsParts DC Power Extension Cable 25 Feet 5.5mm x 2.1mm Male Female Cord, 20AWG: Electronics
calculator: Voltage Drop Calculator

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have a good cat cable I would recommend you a passive PoE injector. I tried mine with a 15m (about 49 feet) Cat.6 cable without problems. Was a different camera, but just for your knowing.
I got these Amazon.com: Passive PoE cable kit DN-95001 - Power over Ethernet (PoE)-Kabelsatz - Gleichstromstecker 5,5 mm: Computers & Accessories
But in Germany they cost 1/3 of this one. But I'm sure you'll find cheaper alternatives in the US. Like this Amazon.com: iCreatin Passive PoE Injector and PoE Splitter Kit with 5.5x2.1 mm DC Connector: Computers & Accessories
or this
Amazon.com: BeElion 2Kits 4PCS Passive PoE Injector and Splitter Kit with 5.5x2.1 mm DC Power Adaptor Connector,Black: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks Crazykiller.

My understanding is the -W model does not support POE and my house isn't wired with CAT cables. I think, for my purposes, the wifi setup will work well. I wonder what the voltage drop is with POE. If you can run 15m, I should be able to get away with half that, though the power requirements of wifi might be a little higher...hoping someone with more knowledge of circuit boards or more experience with the cameras can shed some light.

Thanks.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's just passive PoE, not real one. It's just using the unused pairs 4-5, 7-8 as the extension cable you would buy. So you only have to run one cable. If you only want to get it some power and no network connection, then it's useless for you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Crazykiller.

My understanding is the -W model does not support POE and my house isn't wired with CAT cables. I think, for my purposes, the wifi setup will work well. I wonder what the voltage drop is with POE. If you can run 15m, I should be able to get away with half that, though the power requirements of wifi might be a little higher...hoping someone with more knowledge of circuit boards or more experience with the cameras can shed some light.

Thanks.
wifi will never work well..if you have to run power might as well make it ethernet...

Reaction score
Ah, I see what you're saying now Crazykiller. The CAT cable is just an extension for power. That is a better approach as I have drawer full of them or for a couple bucks at monoprice.com I could pick color and exact length.

Fenderman, Why do you believe wifi will not work well? Are these cameras known to perform poorly in that regard? I've got a pretty good router (Asus RT-AC68) and the 2.4Ghz 802.11n signal is quite good at he location. Also most other devices are on the 5Ghz 802.11ac band. I never have problems streaming high bit rate AVC H.264 to other devices in the house. I can understand why multiple cameras would be problematic as with wifi only one device can be "talking" at a time.

Running power is one thing as I'll just run it to the nearest outlet, but running data would have to come all the way to my office on the other side of the house.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I see what you're saying now Crazykiller. The CAT cable is just an extension for power. That is a better approach as I have drawer full of them or for a couple bucks at monoprice.com I could pick color and exact length.

Fenderman, Why do you believe wifi will not work well? Are these cameras known to perform poorly in that regard? I've got a pretty good router (Asus RT-AC68) and the 2.4Ghz 802.11n signal is quite good at he location. Also most other devices are on the 5Ghz 802.11ac band. I never have problems streaming high bit rate AVC H.264 to other devices in the house. I can understand why multiple cameras would be problematic as with wifi only one device can be "talking" at a time.

Running power is one thing as I'll just run it to the nearest outlet, but running data would have to come all the way to my office on the other side of the house.
Wifi never works well with ip cameras...its simply impossible to always maintain signal...its not like a pc or phone that buffers...at the very least, use an SD card so when your signal drops you have a backup...

Reaction score
Will do fenderman. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you happen to know how Blue Iris will handle a dropped signal or one with too little throughput? Will it re-establish the stream with a short period of blank frames?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do fenderman. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you happen to know how Blue Iris will handle a dropped signal or one with too little throughput? Will it re-establish the stream with a short period of blank frames?

Thanks.
you will lose footage...murphy's law...its real and will bite you in the ass...